Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian installer 7.0 beta 1 default desktop

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
chameleon

Debian installer 7.0 beta 1 default desktop

#1 Post by chameleon »

I did a test install just after the release of this installer and the default desktop was gnome.
Just to be clear, if I install Debian with the new installer as of now will the default desktop be xfce?

swirling_vortex

Re: Debian installer 7.0 beta 1 default desktop

#2 Post by swirling_vortex »

I'd say you're better off just doing a minimal install and then installing xfce. But yes, it will default to that once the next installer build gets updated.

traveler

#3 Post by traveler »

swirling_vortex wrote:I'd say you're better off just doing a minimal install and then installing xfce. But yes, it will default to that once the next installer build gets updated.
No need to do a minimal. Just select expert install and you will be presented with a menu entry for "alternate desktop environments".
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

pabs3

#4 Post by pabs3 »

The switch to Xfce hasn't been uploaded to unstable yet and the release team haven't said they would allow this change into wheezy. I'm betting Debian wheezy will default to GNOME 3.
bye, pabs

traveler

#5 Post by traveler »

pabs3 wrote:The switch to Xfce hasn't been uploaded to unstable yet and the release team haven't said they would allow this change into wheezy. I'm betting Debian wheezy will default to GNOME 3.
Just grab cd1, or the netinstall... Go to the expert install and pick your alternate environment. Until a formal release is made for wheezy this is as painless as it gets. I just did this on one of my laptops and it went off perfectly, as expected. A clean Xfce install is a cakewalk.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)