Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GNOME 2.16 approaching :)

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Artificial

GNOME 2.16 approaching :)

#1 Post by Artificial »

I noticed that new version of GNOME is scheduled for the 6th of September. This is in one week from now.
I'dd like to know when will it be available in Debian testing.

jsmidt

#2 Post by jsmidt »

Many of the core libraries for gnome 2.16 beta are already in experimental. The plan is to upload gnome 2.16 over the first few weeks after release into Unstable. If we are lucky, keep your fingers crossed, it will be bug free enough that it will be in testing by the freeze in early October, so look for it to begin trickiling into testing at the end of September, and early October, hopefully completed before the freeze.
Joseph Smidt

Everybody should contribute to so beautiful of a cause as the Debian Project.

petteri

#3 Post by petteri »

Here http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-2.16-status.html you can keep track of the status of gnome 2.16 in Debian.

ajdlinux

Re: GNOME 2.16 approaching :)

#4 Post by ajdlinux »

Artificial wrote:I'dd like to know when will it be available in Debian testing.
My guess is it won't be. 2.16 is still in experimental and the freeze starts rather soon (a few weeks time), not long enough to prepare all the library transitions and everything.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

merlinsan

#5 Post by merlinsan »

It is very disappointing that we won't see Gnome 2.16 in Etch. It looks that Debian will never be a Desktop distro:-(

ajdlinux

#6 Post by ajdlinux »

It's a little hard for the GNOME packagers to get it all ready in time. We're lucky that this release cycle we'll probably get a release on time.

Still, if you have 'testing' rather than 'etch' in your sources.list it'll arrive a few days after December 4 hopefully :)

merlinsan

#7 Post by merlinsan »

Well I have bits from Gnome 2.16 from experimental already just wanted to make it easier for average Joe.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#8 Post by Jeroen »

"Debian etch will ship with GNOME
2.14"

http://oskuro.net/blog/freesoftware/gno ... 0-06-21-45

From a Debian GNOME team member.

Basicly, the major problem is that 2.16 is still buggy, something we don't want to release with.

machiner

#9 Post by machiner »

merlinsan wrote:It is very disappointing that we won't see Gnome 2.16 in Etch. It looks that Debian will never be a Desktop distro:-(
What are you....10?

ajdlinux

#10 Post by ajdlinux »

merlinsan wrote:It is very disappointing that we won't see Gnome 2.16 in Etch. It looks that Debian will never be a Desktop distro:-(
There is ... that other desktop ... KDE... and of course KDE 3.5.5 is in Etch.

DeanLinkous

#11 Post by DeanLinkous »

machiner wrote:
What are you....10?
:lol:

Yea, honestly I cannot use a computer unless it has the software that was released yesterday.

It is ......like so yesterday...... get a clue you relic dinosaurs....

Happily using my ancient software! :D

AJxn

#12 Post by AJxn »

It is, and more too. It is a STABEL distribution which deliver software in Etch that is without LARGE bugs, like others distributions that delivers without any real quality checks, and therfore bugs that wasn't needed to been there in first place.

hcgtv

#13 Post by hcgtv »

I've been seeing some 2.16 packages make it into Etch, but I don't think the core will make into the 4.0 release. I figure 2.16 will be put into stable a few months after all the bugs are worked out of Etch final.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

plugwash

Re: GNOME 2.16 approaching :)

#14 Post by plugwash »

Artificial wrote: I'dd like to know when will it be available in Debian testing.
i'd guess it will be uploaded to sid soon after etch release, how long it will take to get into lenny will depend on how many rc bugs it gets hit with and how responsive the gnome team are to fixing them.

AJxn

#15 Post by AJxn »

hcgtv wrote:I've been seeing some 2.16 packages make it into Etch, but I don't think the core will make into the 4.0 release. I figure 2.16 will be put into stable a few months after all the bugs are worked out of Etch final.
Nope.
Nothing that isn't in stabel when released, will be added to stabel later. It has to wait for next release. That's why it's called stabel. But it will get into testing (after one or two weeks in unstabel).