Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Respinning Debian

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
chrisroberts

Respinning Debian

#1 Post by chrisroberts »

Hi all

First post here and a quick bit of background - I'm a web apps and UI developer who's used Debian for at least 50% of my work/production for the last 10 years. I love it but there are aspects for me (especially with regards to UI, given my job) that I'd love to change and other respins such as Ubuntu just don't cut it. True to the GNU way, I'm interested in spinning my own Debian-based distro with a UI I've designed.

I have looked at Remastersys and Reconstructor but neither of them seem to really get what I want. Essentially (as far as I can see), they don't allow you to remove the "branding" - the "Debian" name and imagery. I'd want to fully credit Debian but, at the same time, I'd want my own branding and distro name on there instead. I know this is possible but as I've only just starting looking at it, I'm not really sure how you go about it?

As there are also other additions and changes I'd like to make, I'd rather respin my own distro that others could freely use rather than just creating a 'theme' for Debian/Ubuntu/Mint, etc.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to how to remove/edit the branding and what the best packages for respinning Debian are? :)

Any info on how Ubuntu / Linux Mint go about their respins would also be interesting to read!

dasein

Re: Respinning Debian

#2 Post by dasein »

chrisroberts wrote:I'm interested in spinning my own Debian-based distro with a UI I've designed.
Or you could save yourself literally hundreds of hours of effort if you simply packaged up this amazing new UI, and promoted the hell out of it. That way folks who are already using one of the bazillion existing Debian respins could simply install it and use it.

(Just sayin'.)

chrisroberts

#3 Post by chrisroberts »

Well that's what I'm doing at the moment but it's occurred to me as I've been making it that there's a lot else I'd like to change in terms of default packages, etc as well so that's why I'm interested in seeing what's involved in spinning my own distro too. Using Reconstructor, I can do 95% of what I'd need to, with the notable omission (I think) of not being able to remove the Debian branding.

62chevy

#4 Post by 62chevy »

I think what you are looking for is Debian's live-build.

Code: Select all

apt-get install live-build
Then point your browser to file:///usr/share/doc/live-manual/html/live-manual/about-manual.en.html and start reading. I'm positive live-build will do everything you want to plus some.

Also check out live-build on line too. http://live.debian.net/

For a distro that uses live-build check out http://www.salineos.com/.
Debian Buster

Shaun32119

#5 Post by Shaun32119 »

Please include here some links about Debian's live-build.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Shaun32119 wrote:Please include here some links about Debian's live-build.
You just spent six words more than it would cost to find them for yourself :roll:
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

62chevy

#7 Post by 62chevy »

I did in my first post.
Debian Buster

milomak

#8 Post by milomak »

so where can one see your ui?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

h3z

#9 Post by h3z »

What branding are you looking to remove ?
It really cannot be that hard .
I've thought about making an alternative debian installer, and wouldn't worry about the branding .
But, from what I've researched you could even use remastersys .
Do, you just not want to remove the branding manually ?
Or, maybe not know how ?

Oh, and I agree lets see the UI .
Everybody loves a new UI .

Schoelje

#10 Post by Schoelje »

Starting your own distro is a daunting task.

Half a year ago I started the unofficial LMDE KDE and a month ago I added the unofficial LMDE Xfce (because the official one got dropped).
dasein's estimate in hours you spend on creating a new distro is a very rought estimate.

It all depends on what you want to achieve: you want to add your personal touch to a distro and add that to the already vast amount of distros out there, or do you want to set yourself goals and add value to the community. How do you want to achieve these goals, what is your business plan, so to say. It takes a lot of time, focus and endurance and if you want to take up that challenge you will always find people who want to help you make it even better: you cannot do this alone.
Whatever you do: good luck!
Founder of SolydXK

greywolf

#11 Post by greywolf »

Schoelje said:
Half a year ago I started the unofficial LMDE KDE and a month ago I added the unofficial LMDE Xfce (because the official one got dropped).
......and did a quite superb job of it too.....

Sorry to digress, just wanted to say Thank You!

Greywolf.

/tmp

#12 Post by /tmp »

chrisroberts wrote:I'm interested in spinning my own Debian-based distro with a UI I've designed.

:|
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

Randicus

#13 Post by Randicus »

Ubuntu you say? I hear it is a very good system. And has a friendly and helpful forum. :lol:

Anyway, a moot debate, since the OP has not been back since the day he joined the forum on 1st Oct. I think dilberts_left_nut scared him off. :shock:

dasein

#14 Post by dasein »

Randicus wrote:I think dilberts_left_nut scared him off. :shock:
No, that was Shaun32119 that d_l_n scared off.

Randicus

#15 Post by Randicus »

Oops. My mistake. I guess we are all to blame. :cry: