Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

OpenMotif 2.3.4 LGPL, libxp removal, and lesstif...

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Ibidem

OpenMotif 2.3.4 LGPL, libxp removal, and lesstif...

#1 Post by Ibidem »

I'm guessing that this is the right subforum; if the mods think another subforum would be better, feel free to move it.

Yeah, I realize that's a lot of seemingly unrelated stuff. There is a connection though.
As you might be aware, libxp has been slated for removal for some time(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=657253).

Most of the blockers (623643, 623642, 623662, 623644, and a few more...) are primarily due to the fact that Lesstif (and likewise the current OpenMotif package) need Xprint.

OpenMotif 2.3.4 was just released, and I've filed a request to upgrade to it (when it's possible): http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=691393
One of the new features is that it can build without xprint, which would remove one of the blockers for libxp removal.
However, this wouldn't be just a routine upgrade; OpenMotif 2.3.4 is now LGPL, which means it would be moving from non-free to main.

Where the whole thing gets "interesting" is that OpenMotif implements the same API as lesstif (With a few exceptions, see below).
In fact, OpenMotif is based on the reference implementation of the Motif API, while Lesstif is a (rather buggy, though I appreciate the efforts of the developers!) reverse-engineered implementation that hasn't seen a maintainer upload since 2009; there was one NMU adding mutltiarch since then.
So once OpenMotif gets in main, it would be possible to use it to replace lesstif; potentially, this could end most of the blockers for libxp removal.

As far as API differences, OpenMotif extends the OpenMotif 2.1 API implemented by Lesstif.
Lesstif, however, carries its own extensions--these were at one point also available as a separate package, known as Xlt. OpenMotif + Xlt should be source-compatible with Lesstif, up to one point:
The Motif 2.1 API included a wrapper around Xprint, hence the dependency problems. Removing this, as configuring OpenMotif without xprint does, could break a few programs.

Any thoughts on the tangle? I'm inclined to suggest
-move openmotif to main
-replace lesstif with openmotif, see if Xlt is needed
-if needed, package Xlt
-drop lesstif
-drop libxp if possible.
Thinkpad X100e/Debian Squeeze (All reposiories enabled)/Linux 3.4.11:
1GB RAM/1.6GHz Neo X2/ATI HD 3200/RTL8191SEVA2 wlan0, RTL8169 eth0

Ibidem

Re: OpenMotif 2.3.4 LGPL, libxp removal, and lesstif...

#2 Post by Ibidem »

From what I'm seeing, it sounds like the plan is:
-Wheezy gets released.
-libmotif gets upgraded to 2.3.4 in experimental (in progress)
-for Jessie, Motif moves to main.
-Lesstif-linked packages get rebuilt for Motif.
-*-lesstif gets renamed.
-Lesstif gets removed.
-libXp gets removed.
-Jessie gets released.

This is what Paul Gevers, currently the Lesstif co-maintainer and apparently now the Motif co-maintainer, seems to be suggesting.
Thinkpad X100e/Debian Squeeze (All reposiories enabled)/Linux 3.4.11:
1GB RAM/1.6GHz Neo X2/ATI HD 3200/RTL8191SEVA2 wlan0, RTL8169 eth0