Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

There is really no change for Gnome 3.6 in Wheezy?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Apoema

There is really no change for Gnome 3.6 in Wheezy?

#1 Post by Apoema »

Everybody know Gnome Shell needs a lot a work, but Gnome 3.6 was a good improvement over 3.4.

It's really a great idea not launching the update in next stable? I mean most likely, Wheezy will be trapped with a Gnome 3.4 forever.

dasein

Re: There is really no change for Gnome 3.6 in Wheezy?

#2 Post by dasein »

Surely you recognize that this same argument could be made about any number of packages, for an indefinite period of time.

At some point, in order to have a Stable release, Testing has to be frozen and remain frozen. That's just the way it is.

Apoema

#3 Post by Apoema »

I agree, but the DE really make a different.

Especially a troublesome one like Gnome Shell.

Randicus

#4 Post by Randicus »

If you find an application or DE troublesome, perhaps use a different one. After all, one of the beauties of the open source world is variety. Use whatever you find most convenient or least "troublesome".

PhilGil

#5 Post by PhilGil »

Debian Stable is the most trouble free OS I've ever used, but to reach that level of polish requires months and months of testing. You can't keep adding newer packages after testing is frozen or no release would ever go stable. After the freeze, updating a core component like Gnome - which includes a huge number of packages that would all need to be tested - is just not possible.

Debian Stable may not be an appropriate distro for someone who wants the latest software. It's more for users who are willing to settle for slightly older packages in exchange for excellent stability and minimal bugs.

Apoema

#6 Post by Apoema »

I understand the problems, just asking for the possibilities.

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

Apoema wrote:...just asking for the possibilities.
Zero. Time to get on with life.

JLloyd13

#8 Post by JLloyd13 »

Apoema wrote:Everybody know Gnome Shell needs a lot a work, but Gnome 3.6 was a good improvement over 3.4.

It's really a great idea not launching the update in next stable? I mean most likely, Wheezy will be trapped with a Gnome 3.4 forever.
you could always just run a mixed testing/unstable system and pull just gnome from sid :wink:
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

emariz

#9 Post by emariz »

JLloyd13 wrote:you could always just run a mixed testing/unstable system and pull just gnome from sid
And monitor a dependency chain that accounts for half of the system.

hrsetrdr

#10 Post by hrsetrdr »

Apoema wrote:I agree, but the DE really make a different.

Especially a troublesome one like Gnome Shell.
Give XFCE a try...I think you'll like it.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein).

mephjones

#11 Post by mephjones »

Apoema, what is new in Gnome 3.6? Is there a significant difference between 3.4 and 3.6? Looking at the link http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/gnome-36 ... s-new.html I don't see anything compelling. These are all minor cosmetic changes. The most exciting thing I see is including the power off button in the logout menu.

Teufel

#12 Post by Teufel »

mephjones wrote:The most exciting thing I see is including the power off button in the logout menu.
Good reason to release new version. :lol:
Tried out new Gnome-3.6 LiveCD yesterday. Not sure that Debian needed this shell. May be it is good for tablet PC...
Ugly XFCE is better than shiny Cnome3.

adenukolnis

#13 Post by adenukolnis »

Teufel wrote: May be it is good for tablet PC...
with those huge window borders and spaced out icons.....doubtful

not to mention the fantastic keyboard control which probably wouldnt serve much purpose on a tablet

that being said I have never used a tablet or even fiddled with one actually....not sure I have even held one in my hand

emariz

#14 Post by emariz »

adenukolnis wrote:
Teufel wrote: May be it is good for tablet PC...
with those huge window borders and spaced out icons.....doubtful
On the contrary, the window borders and the icons need to be bigger on a tablet because one clicks them with the fingers, and last time that I checked, my fingers were bigger than 24 pixels.

dasein

#15 Post by dasein »

emariz wrote:...last time that I checked, my fingers were bigger than 24 pixels.
Maybe GNOME 3 is optimized for CGA? :mrgreen:
(That's 320×200 for you youngsters.)

MALsPa

#16 Post by MALsPa »

I'm okay with the older GNOME version in Wheezy. As for the power off button, I simply installed the gnome-shell-extension package from the repos, which gave me the Alternative Status Menu extension (for the power off button). That's the only GNOME Shell extension I'm using.

JLloyd13

#17 Post by JLloyd13 »

emariz wrote:
JLloyd13 wrote:you could always just run a mixed testing/unstable system and pull just gnome from sid
And monitor a dependency chain that accounts for half of the system.
decent point. in that case the OP could always just run sid
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

hhh

#18 Post by hhh »

What are you guys talking about? gnome-shell 3.6 is still only in experimental, and although gnome-tweak-tool has landed there too, gnome-shell-extensions has not and extensions.gnome.org is still essentially useless using 3.6. I've installed 3.6 on my desktop and the new lock screen does allow changing music volume but only using a mouse, not keyboard shortcuts, and the new notification system is buggy at best, less usable than 3.4's at worst. 3.4 is (IMO), at this stage, more usable than 3.6.

Power button? You know that the Shift key shows the shutdown option when that menu is open, don't you? Also, an alternative to the Alternate Status Whatever extension is to create bash files in /usr/local/bin that run gnome-session-quit --logout (opens the logout dialog) and gnome-session-quit --power-off (opens the shutdown/restart dialog), I named mine logout and halt, and execute them via the Run dialog.

emariz

#19 Post by emariz »

hhh wrote:What are you guys talking about? gnome-shell 3.6 is still only in experimental
Try the "official" image at Gnome's website. It is actually a Fedora 18 live CD, but it should not affect the way things work. I only faced an odd cosmetic issue with Network Manager's icon.
I dislike Gnome Tweak Tool but I could finally configure Gnome the way I like using DConf Editor (many keys were not present or did not work on previous versions of Gnome). I still want a list of open windows that is always visible and an alternative to Global Menu when Focus-Follows-Mouse is used, but those are shortcomings of Gnome itself, and not of this live CD.

hhh

#20 Post by hhh »

@emariz, re: your quote of mine, I was referring to the OP's call for 3.6 in the wheezy release and the subsequent suggestion of running sid. I have tried the official GNOME LIVE image but it's useless on my hardware as I need nvidia-glx.

I can't speak to the network-manager bug, it's not a dependency in Debian so I use wpa_supplicant. I do also use dconf-editor.

We both forgot to mention the annoying loss of features and other changes made to Nautilus 3.6.

re: visible list of open windows, I require this too. There are 2 extension options, Dock and Panel-Docklet v14...

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/17/dock/
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... l-docklet/

I hope that helps you. I use panel-docklet as middle-clicking an app's icon closes the app and it has a slew of configurations. It ran fine for me on Debian's 3.6 after I bumped the version number to 3.6.1 in the extension's metadata file (gratuitous screenshot links of my tweaked-up 3.6 desktop and lock screen)...
http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files5/147 ... OY7ViI.png
http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files5/147 ... Vps0HZ.png