Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linux on Symbol / Motorola MC75A6

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
mc75a

Linux on Symbol / Motorola MC75A6

#1 Post by mc75a »

Hi everyone,

I'll be honest with all and I'll say that I am an M$ kiddo. My knowledge never goes deeper than a little bit of building M$ server (using IIS build-in services) and a little bit of Windows debugger.
I know that's actually nothing, comparing to knowledge of "managing linux-base systems". I had even tried these my self, but couldn't get through command prompt in linux...(Ubuntu, Mandriva most).

I am user of Motorola EDA (Symbol) MC75 [A6] with build in Windows Mobile 6.5 Proffesional. Device spec:

CPU: Intel XScale ("Monahan") PXA320 (806 MHz)
Memory: 256MB RAM, Storage: 1 GB, microSD (SDHC up to 32GB)
Display: 3.5” VGA, 640x480
Touch Panel: Glass analog -resistive touch
Battery: Lithium Ion: 3.7V, 3600 mAh (13.3 Wh)

[RedBoot] BOOT LOADER

I think it would be the most important about it. If more necessary: http://www.thebarcodewarehouse.co.uk/As ... /17702.pdf

I just have enough of this M$ sh^t... Hoping I could get a little help to manage Linux-base system instalation on it, the latest possibly compatible sys with ARM (v5 - end of 2006) processors would be DEBIAN or MINT PPC. I will post same message on Mint forum (can't register at the moment). I have spent whole week, reading thousands posts and websites about Androids, Linux, Symbian...and I am "sick of it"...There is everything for Nokia's, HTC's, I-thing's...etc, but nothing...absolutely nothing about this PPC. And even if I found something, software and everything are linux-kind - don't really know what to do with them on WinMobile... I know M$ is not open-source, I would love to get rid of it...

I don't care about phone function's, because this device is retired ;p I use it only for some recreation when I am at home (music/streaming/video/www etc).
If some drivers would be necessary to be build for audio device or similar, the only thing I could help is providing Windows Registry Keys / Drivers from the device. That's what would be for me.
I know that there are other people using MC70 / MC75 (similar build) that are interested with "Moving Windows/System to trash" :D

Hmm...I have just realized about LAN Port in cradle docking station for this device...OMG :D
Would it be possible to bite it all together with on-line Linux installer? ;D ...I'll keep looking more this way maybe...

Let's help some of us to Bin M$, and let us use a little more from those devices.
I am not native-english speaker so apologizes for misunderstandings.

P.S. Posted also on UBUNTU forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12354696

Thank You for any replays,
Glad to be here ;]
Cheers!

Ibidem

Re: Linux on Symbol / Motorola MC75A6

#2 Post by Ibidem »

xscale: That's an old armv5 system; use an "armel" distro.
You do NOT want anything "PPC", since that is a completely incompatible architecture.
You also do not want "armhf", or Ubuntu; those require newer processors (armv7 or sometimes armv6).

As I use x86-linux, I can't help with the install process or kernel selection.
Also, this would be better asked under installation or hardware.
Thinkpad X100e/Debian Squeeze (All reposiories enabled)/Linux 3.4.11:
1GB RAM/1.6GHz Neo X2/ATI HD 3200/RTL8191SEVA2 wlan0, RTL8169 eth0