Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]Forking and latest development libraries

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
yesme

[Solved]Forking and latest development libraries

#1 Post by yesme »

Hello how does this forking thing work. I have to compile a program which is in heavy development it is usually developed against the latest release of ubuntu (12.10). My question is does ubuntu's bleeding edge libraries come from the same pool as wheezy's.

Regards
Last edited by yesme on 2012-11-20 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Forking and latest development libraries

#2 Post by stevepusser »

No, Wheezy's libraries were frozen some time ago, so U-12.10 will have some newer libraries. This does not necessarily mean that the program will not build against the versions available in Wheezy, or it not, that you can't backport a newer library into your version of Wheezy to support your mystery package. You need to find out the minimum library versions required, either in the program's documentation or from the developer.
MX Linux packager and developer

yesme

Re: Forking and latest development libraries

#3 Post by yesme »

Thank you for the info. Compiling programs is difficult enough for me as it is, I'll try and search for other avenues.
Best regards

stevepusser

Re: [Solved]Forking and latest development libraries

#4 Post by stevepusser »

If you can find someplace else that has already made deb packages of the program, reusing their source files makes making your own a hundred times easier (assuming you can meet the build-depends) Maybe there's a PPA with your program in it?

yesme

#5 Post by yesme »

Hey thanks for the suggestions, there are PPA's but not distro specific. I'll try a search for deb files tho. Some people are using static libraries to compile so that maybe an option.
...your mystery package...
There's no mystery it's called 'blender' the main version should be in the repositories. The reason why I compile is that the developers have different branches going, there are places to download these precompiled branches but they are not always available so that's why I do it myself.
Anyway I'm looking for the shortest possible route with least amount of headache to get things up and running.

All the best

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm--as far as I remember, Blender does require a really recent version of python3. I remember just downloading and installing a fairly recent statically linked version with internal python3 and other internal static libraries from the Blender website. It ran just fine on Squeeze, and the latest Openshot 1.4.3 used it correctly to render animated titles.

If you're going to try and use the system python3, Wheezy's may be a bit too old, so that's what I'd check out first.