Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Packaging: conffiles duplicates

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Schoelje

Packaging: conffiles duplicates

#1 Post by Schoelje »

This is a question about packaging.
So, if this is not the right place to ask, please move to a better suited forum.

If I build a package:

Code: Select all

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b -us -uc
It throws this warning:

dpkg-deb: warning: conffile name 'path to config file' is duplicated
When I inspect the debian/packagename/DEBIAN/conffiles, it lists each config file three times while the original in debian/conffiles does not.

Luckily, the warning is ignored and the deb file is built, but I don't understand why this happens.
I have searched the net, but found only programmers sites and no explanation, let stand a solution.
Founder of SolydXK

giavac

Re: Packaging: conffiles duplicates

#2 Post by giavac »

For what it's worth, I'm experiencing the same, and would be happy to know what triggers the warning.
For me as well, the package is built correctly; the config files are listed twice in debian/<package>/DEBIAN/conffiles.

vaclav.blazek

#3 Post by vaclav.blazek »

It seems your packaging uses debhelper which automatically treats all packaged files under /etc as configuration files.
If you put it manually to debian/conffiles file then you have two identical records in debian/package/DEBIAN/conffiles and dpkg-deb complains.

From dh_installdeb:

package.conffiles
           This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory.

In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here.

Schoelje

#4 Post by Schoelje »

My apologies for my really, really late response. That was not intentional.

Thanks for the answer. I found out the same as you described about debhelper but much later than your answer. I should have paid more attention to my own topic :oops:
Founder of SolydXK