Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nmap depends on gnuplot!

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
etienne@egdn.net

nmap depends on gnuplot!

#1 Post by etienne@egdn.net »

Hello,

please bear w/ me this is my 1st post here; I looked at the wiki, and believe I pretty much "did what the forum expects me to" and read the "read before your first post" post... Feel free to correct my manners.

On a (updated) wheezy machine I wanted to "apt-get install nmap" and was told that "gnuplot liblinear-tools liblinear1 libsvm-tools will be installed". Gnuplot? No mention of nmap? My first thought was that Debian had broken down or had been cracked and these packages could just as well be trojans, but no, there seems to be dependency thread between nmap and gnuplot.

Still I find this surprising and am thus writing to ask whether this is really the developers' desired behavior? In addition to my above-expressed suspicion, that dependency was a problem because I have my own gnuplot installed, straight from gnuplot.sf.net (and don't want to replace it). I guess it could be a problem for people running X-less machines?

Just my 2c, I in the meantime installed nmap from nmap.org ...

Best regards,

Etienne

confuseling

Re: nmap depends on gnuplot!

#2 Post by confuseling »

Try installing without recommends.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

vbrummond

#3 Post by vbrummond »

but no, there seems to be dependency thread between nmap and gnuplot
Nmap depends on liblinear1. This package recommends liblinear-tools which in turn recommends libsvm-tools and gnuplot. Not rocket science.
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/nmap
My first thought was that Debian had broken down or had been cracked and these packages could just as well be trojans
Please don't make me waste my brain cells reading stuff like this.
I pretty much "did what the forum expects me to" and read the "read before your first post" post
It is appreciated.
Still I find this surprising and am thus writing to ask whether this is really the developers' desired behavior?
Yes. Though you can (in this case) work around the dependency by using apt-get with the --no-install-recommends flag. If it were a depends instead, there is no choice but to install the package.
that dependency was a problem because I have my own gnuplot installed, straight from gnuplot.sf.net (and don't want to replace it).
Just install your own custom stuff to /usr/local. That is the usually default anyway so it probably already is there.
Just my 2c, I in the meantime installed nmap from nmap.org ...
I think you are trying too hard.
Always on Debian Testing

etienne@egdn.net

#4 Post by etienne@egdn.net »

Ok, my misunderstanding of apt-get's defaults. Thx 4 the info & your time...

echo 'APT::Install-Recommends "false";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

seems to fix the default to my preference.

Etienne

P.S.: installing nmap < 10minutes; registering, learning to post, posting > 10minutes.