Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

default PATH for /etc/profile excluding sbin

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
markovh

default PATH for /etc/profile excluding sbin

#1 Post by markovh »

Should the default PATH variables in /etc/profile really not include sbin directories if you're not root? I can see the thinking that normal users shouldn't need to run sbin programs. ifconfig would be a great example to counter that. I don't see the advantage in leaving out sbin in paths. If sbin were in the path by default right now, what would you say would be the advantage in removing it from non root users.

If it is for user convenience (so that they don't run a program that they probably can't use anyway), i see command not found when running tools like ifconfig more confusing than just getting no result. Yes of course you can do /sbin/ifconfig or modify the global/user PATH variable however there shouldn't be a need for that in the first place

I figured i'd throw this out there before submitting a bug report on it.

AnInkedSoul

Re: default PATH for /etc/profile excluding sbin

#2 Post by AnInkedSoul »

excluding sbin seems like a sane default to me

saulgoode

Re: default PATH for /etc/profile excluding sbin

#3 Post by saulgoode »

markovh wrote:I can see the thinking that normal users shouldn't need to run sbin programs. ifconfig would be a great example to counter that.
Not according to its man page (which notably is under section 8, system commands; not section 1, user commands):

Code: Select all

Ifconfig is used to configure the kernel-resident network interfaces.  It is used at boot time to set up interfaces as necessary. After that, it is usually only needed when debugging or when system tuning is needed.
Of course, there are varying views on this particular topic, and a sampling of those views is available for perusal in this Debian mailing list discussion that took place in 1999.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan