Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

align debian/rules with upstream makefile discussion?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
danmbox

align debian/rules with upstream makefile discussion?

#1 Post by danmbox »

Hi,

I tend to stick to a stable version of my favorite Debian-flavoured distro, and backport packages as necessary. Sometimes I can't find any debianized version of recent releases, which means having to uupdate the latest debian package.

Time and again I find examples of debian/rules consisting of tens of lines of dh_ noise, even though there's a perfectly fine upstream Makefile. I don't really care about the masochism / time-sink aspect of maintaining a duplicate build system, but when upstream makes changes, it is often difficult to adapt debian/rules. It's often easier to do a `checkinstall make install' and create a fake package than do a "proper" backport.

Is there some place where this issue has been raised? Surely this is madness, yet I can't seem to GIYF any relevant discussions.

BTW, my current focus is pymacs (0.23.1, latest upstream 0.25 fixes several un-usability bugs).