Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Testing: Nice little surprise

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Debian Testing: Nice little surprise

#1 Post by cds60601 »

In my spare time between messing with Debian, building guitar effects peddles and doing up schematics with Eagle (and soon, KiCAD) I enjoy over dubbing backing tracks.
When I ran Windows 10, this want an issue but when I moved to Debian, I wasn't sure if my old M-Audio Fast Track would actually work.

Low and behold after I plugged 'er in, dmesg showed it as recognized and active! The next step was to install Audacity and give it a whirl. I had to spend some time figuring out some settings (as far as what to use via ALSA - but damned, it worked and this saved me having to buy a new unit just to have it work. Funny - I don't recall it working with Ubuntu so that in itself is impressive.

Well done!

Cheers
Chris
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

dotlj

Re: Debian Testing: Nice little surprise

#2 Post by dotlj »

Would you please clarify if this is Debian Testing or Debian Stable? If testing, did you try Debian Stable?
Debian surely does so much which is why it is so popular.
My xyl recently was given an X-ray on a CD. A quick search revealed ginkgo cadx and another search that it was in Debian repositories.
apt-get install is your friend and now we can look at the images on any screen we like.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by cds60601 »

dotlj wrote:Would you please clarify if this is Debian Testing or Debian Stable? If testing, did you try Debian Stable?
Debian surely does so much which is why it is so popular.
My xyl recently was given an X-ray on a CD. A quick search revealed ginkgo cadx and another search that it was in Debian repositories.
apt-get install is your friend and now we can look at the images on any screen we like.

Sure! I am using Testing. I have used Stable and prefer Testing. No special reasoning behind it (well, maybe I'm giving in to the side of me that says, "Oh... Shiny, New!)
But I have had good luck with Testing long ago and opted to give it another try 6 or 7 months back moving away from Ubuntu.

Cheers
Chris
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

dotlj

#4 Post by dotlj »

You have probably read the documentation about using Stable, Testing and Sid.
I usually run all three on different machines. I have stable on my work and home computers and run Testing and Sid separately on old disks left over from computers that died.
One I dual boot and choose the disk with Testing or the disk with Sid.
I also use apt-listbugs. Some others use various scripts with Sid or Testing.