Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I love Debian, but...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

I love Debian, but...

#1 Post by cds60601 »

It's time to move onward. Been using Debian (and a variant) for better than 2 years.
Recently, Testing has been my cup of tea (although, I have been distro-hopping the past 8 months)
and I am pretty happy with it (overall) but the distro-hopping over the months (waiting for the release of KiCad v5) has been
both a good and bad thing.

The good; it allowed me to get a feel of what is out there and weight out the options of both newer apps
and the release cycle of other OS's. And more importantly, stream-lined my rebuild process under any given distro.

The bad; well - I was distro hopping and spending a good bit of time with builds (not that that is a bad thing of course).
Additionally, it opened my eyes that I spent all this time (mainly the past 4 weeks or so that KiCad 5 has been out)
when in many aspects, the answer was right in front of me all the time (along with a nagging question I ignored).

I wanted an OS that is rolling in nature with (and more importantly) getting newer versions of my must-have apps I need that will be updated in a reasonable time frame.
I also didn't really want to include 3rd party repos that might break things (although, I never had an issue with the Ubu-zilla repo).

Long story short, I had a great time over the weekend doing Arch/Manjaro install marathons to bring that down to the One.
And for the past 18 hours or so, I have been extremely happy with Arch! Sure, it was a chore getting it all tuned the way I like it, but it was a fun challenge. A challenge
I had not had since my OpenBSD/FreeBSD days a good number of years back.

For now, it appears I have satisfied my needs (and wants). Of course, that could change a year or two down the road (or sooner if something major hits).
But for now, I must bid a good friend, adieu. Oh, I'll still monitor the progress of Debian and frequent the forums.

Words of advice for Debian; I can only offer phrase: Keep doing what you have been doing. There is nothing wrong with the Debian process, I just out-grew the need to use it. That being said, I will ALWAYS continue to use Debian on my home server. Just can't beat it (up-time currently is 81 days).

Cheers
Chris
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

stevepusser

Re: I love Debian, but...

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Funny you would mention Kicad 5...http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/k/kicad/ :D
MX Linux packager and developer

Wheelerof4te

#3 Post by Wheelerof4te »

You like rolling distros, and that's OK.
I chose Debian for different reasons than stability. Of course, it played a part, but most distros are stable enough for a desktop user.
I chose Debian because of it's legacy, and it's bright future. Because of it's reputation, and reach in open-source world.
And most of all, one chooses Debian for the support, since it is the largest free worldwide OS project ever made.

Good luck with Manjaro, although I personally would avoid it.

pcalvert

#4 Post by pcalvert »

Speaking of Arch, I've seen some favorable comments about Obarun.

Some links for the curious:
https://web.obarun.org/
https://www.distrowatch.com/obarun

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by cds60601 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Good luck with Manjaro, although I personally would avoid it.
\\Not sure how you come up with Manjaro as the one I picked.
Pretty sure I mentioned I went with Arch, but it was between the two - I did one base install of Arch without uefi working to get a feel for things at first,
Manjaro was to get past the longer more tedious install of Arch but to get into what the OS would feel like as a whole.

It is true that I opted to look at Manjaro (mainly for ease of installation) but the more tedious install of Arch is one of the things that pushed me to stay with it.
I loved the challenge of "tinkering" my way through a completed install and completely setup he way i wanted it to be set with only the options I wanted without the need to remove things after an original install.

All your comments as to why you are using Debian are valid (are are still valid reasons in my mind if I didn't need faster access to the must have apps) reasons to use it.
As I mentioned before, my needs outgrew some of the features I chose Debian for. I'm not bashing Debian or anyone that uses it, certainly not as I still do for my server for the very reasons you mentioned.

bedtime

#6 Post by bedtime »

Friends and lovers come and go...

But mother will always be there.

He'll be back. :roll:

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Wheelerof4te wrote:You like rolling distros, and that's OK.
I chose Debian for different reasons than stability. Of course, it played a part, but most distros are stable enough for a desktop user.
I chose Debian because of it's legacy, and it's bright future. Because of it's reputation, and reach in open-source world.
And most of all, one chooses Debian for the support, since it is the largest free worldwide OS project ever made.

MX is certainly not a rolling distro. We just backport many more packages than most other distros. Stable plus backports != rolling. If a user doesn't want to use a backported version in MX, they can always install the standard Debian package.

Wheelerof4te

#8 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^He said he was using Debian Testing, which is semi-rolling.
Didn't know he was into MX Linux.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^He said he was using Debian Testing, which is semi-rolling.
A lot of users will just combine testing with Sid if they just can't wait for shiny new packages, or at least learn how to backport the SNS themselves if they have the hardware...I was just pointing out that I find waiting four weeks for someone else to do it rather unreasonable myself.

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

the time has finally come:
people are lumping together archlinux and manjaro as if the only difference was the ease of installation.
it is not (even though manjaro continues to claim "100% compatibility with archlinux").
manjaro uses different repositories, and whoknowswhatelse.
manjaro is to archlinux what ubuntu is to debian.

and yes, cds60601, i've seen your most recent reply.

still, i'm glad you did go with archlinux proper.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by CwF »

cds60601 wrote:up-time currently is 81 days
I beat 750 days in the mid 2000's, 365 days multiple times...

So,
I love Debian, but...
...no other distro is up to par either, so I'll wait.

milomak

#12 Post by milomak »

stevepusser wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:^He said he was using Debian Testing, which is semi-rolling.
A lot of users will just combine testing with Sid if they just can't wait for shiny new packages, or at least learn how to backport the SNS themselves if they have the hardware...I was just pointing out that I find waiting four weeks for someone else to do it rather unreasonable myself.
indeed

Code: Select all

# apt-cache policy kicad
kicad:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 5.0.0+dfsg1-2
  Version table:
     5.0.0+dfsg1-2 500
        500 http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.is.co.za/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://debian.saix.net sid/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

slayde

#13 Post by slayde »

Wheelerof4te wrote:You like rolling distros, and that's OK.

Although I certainly am attracted to the stability (and the fact that it turned a junky old commodity laptop into a usable machine), I can also identify with the reasons you cited. It's kinda nice to be using a good distro with a good name...

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#14 Post by cds60601 »

bedtime wrote:Friends and lovers come and go...

LOL - how true these words came to pass. Now, if I can only get you to tell me the next set of winning Lotto numbers ;)
In all seriousness (and truth be told) I suspect I always knew I would be back. I won't go into the details as many of us already know and did know the reasons.
But - it IS nice to be back in the Debian-space again.

aptitude

#15 Post by aptitude »

I'm also using Debian, but not as testing
--Aptitude

cuckooflew

#16 Post by cuckooflew »

I love Debian, it is fun to play with, great toy, but for serious work Minix 3 is my choice, all though OpenBsd is what I have on my desktop. Various versions of Debian are all on QEMU VM's , with OpenBsd as host. I enjoy playing with Debian, but I am a bad boy and I break it a lot which is why the VM's is my best option. Before Debian 8, I did use Debian as my main desktop system, particularly Debian 6 and 7, ...I think Debian 6 (squeeze) was the best version of Debian,but I suppose that is getting into another topic.
Debian 1.1 was a interesting version, I have it on a VM but the VM is on a old USB drive, and I don;t play with it much any more, any way, I do enjoy Debian, love it, but love my wife more :mrgreen:
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Lysander

#17 Post by Lysander »

cds60601 wrote:
bedtime wrote:Friends and lovers come and go...

LOL - how true these words came to pass. Now, if I can only get you to tell me the next set of winning Lotto numbers ;)
In all seriousness (and truth be told) I suspect I always knew I would be back. I won't go into the details as many of us already know and did know the reasons.
But - it IS nice to be back in the Debian-space again.
Same here, I left Debian for Slackware - for the learning experience and the 'challenge' in early 2018, first on my netbook and then on my primary machine.

Christmas 2019 I was back on Debian.

DebbyIan

#18 Post by DebbyIan »

You really only need one distro.
The main decider for which distro to use is package management. There are just two kinds - Either build packages on the fly or use prebuilt packages. If packages have already been built in repos then it makes a lot more sense to use those instead instead of rebuilding packages on the fly.

No one distro will cover all your superficial requirements for an indefinite amount of time.

cuckooflew

#19 Post by cuckooflew »

If I
really only need one distro
AND
No one distro will cover all your superficial requirements for an indefinite amount of time.
Then how can this be :?: It just is not making sense, perhaps not true.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

DebbyIan

#20 Post by DebbyIan »

Best sticking with Windows to ease your dillema.