Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian systemd maintainer "taking a break"

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Segfault

Re: Debian systemd maintainer "taking a break"

#21 Post by Segfault »

I hear this "kernel upgrade broke my system" all the time. Never happened to me, custom kernels. Running 4.20.2 right now. Perhaps these "breaks" have more to do with distro than the kernel itself? After all it is a daunting task to provide a fit-it-all universal kernel and prevent conflicting modules from loading.

Re: Poettering fix. It is hard to believe everything was hunky-dory until now and NIC naming caused this upset. Much more likely it was just the final straw and this maintainer was growing unhappy over long time.

Wheelerof4te

#22 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^I just made a custom kernel using

Code: Select all

make localmodconfig
Took about 20 mins, no b0rkage here :D
But I guess I can't make my own custom systemd :mrgreen:

Head_on_a_Stick

#23 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wheelerof4te wrote:I guess I can't make my own custom systemd
Of course you can:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/vie ... stemd.html

Or use `apt-get source systemd` and modify that instead if you're feeling lazy...
deadbang

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#24 Post by None1975 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 41971.html
Debian's systemd maintainer decided he had enough of upstream's BS.
Nice regression. I'll quote one comment:
that's a regression compared to v239, and I'm inclined to add it to the v241 milestone, given that it can mean loss of network access.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

llivv

#25 Post by llivv »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: I don't use out-of-tree modules and stuff still breaks,
liar
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:My point here is that the kernel devs do break stuff, I can't comment on the relative frquency of this b0rkage without conducting a formal study though.
feeling lazy lately?
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:when it does happen, it's recognized as a bug and a breakage, not a feature to which downstream must adapt.
Your linked bug report seems to show that the systemd developers are acting in the same way, Lennart & co. have acknowledged the problem and are actually trying to fix this..
I would hope so! It wouldn't be in anyones best interest if they issued a will not fix for that one.....
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:In the case of systemd, we see that it's main developer is not as concerned, until Debian's maintainer decided to quit maintaining systemd.
Bullshit.
Humm wonder what's eating pottering these days
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Lennart's first reply in that thread was an attempt to narrow down the cause of the problem in order to fix it
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issu ... -454515587
Yeah yeah we get it already -thanks for the update.....

@ golinux 100% agree - push and shove happens everywhere - business model and all
not much talk about corporate/political war room behavior these days, it's probably against the law to even mention it such secret procedings...
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Head_on_a_Stick

#26 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

llivv wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: I don't use out-of-tree modules and stuff still breaks,
liar
If you mean zfs I've wiped that system and I'm clean once more :)
llivv wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:My point here is that the kernel devs do break stuff, I can't comment on the relative frquency of this b0rkage without conducting a formal study though.
feeling lazy lately?
Always :mrgreen:

EDIT:
llivv wrote:thanks for the update
You're welcome :D
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2019-01-17 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
deadbang

golinux

#27 Post by golinux »

llivv wrote:Humm wonder what's eating pottering these days
I'm hoping a pending pink slip! LOLOLOL!!!
May the FORK be with you!

Danielsan

#28 Post by Danielsan »

I was going to open the same thread with this title:
The fortress of evil begins to crumble
:mrgreen:

Anyway it seems we are missing as usual the point, the point is always the same, the attitude of systemd devs towards the others. If you think you have reason for default and all the rest of the world is wrong this is what is going to happen.

By the way I found a very interesting article against systemd, probably the better, and I quote a paragraph that for me is quite significant:
Speaking about systemctl:
This is an "anti-scripting" solution. This solution was created by a person who knows C and nothing but C (some people call such programmer C-heads, distinguishing them from A-heads, who, in addition, know at least one scripting language). For this class of programmers, C is a universal tool that is capable to solve any problems like for a hummer everything is a nail: everything is better written in C and complied into binaries. That's the world he is living in and comfortable with. But from architectural standpoint it is pretty questionable to replace scripting solution with C solution when efficiency is not important. And here, in server space, it is definitely not (rebooting servers is operation performed, say, once a quarter or even with larger interval. Typically this is done for patching. And taking into account the time server BIOS initialization of various cards and services (ILO/DRAC) take, it does not matter if the whole process will last one minute more) . As such this solution is inferior to the use of scripting language and, BTW, you can use more modern language for interpreting custom functional language then shall.
I have been quite neutral about systemd it, I use it everyday I tried to do some stuff and it is easier for an inexpert person like me creating services, but actually it shouldn't me the main target of systemd, however the point is systemd is burying its own hole by itself. The frequency of the security issues is growing up so when fixing it will be cost more human work that creating a new init (or reusing a better one), finally we get rid off of systemd and this will happen very soon.

Head_on_a_Stick

#29 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Danielsan wrote:The frequency of the security issues is growing up
[citation needed] :mrgreen:
deadbang

Danielsan

#30 Post by Danielsan »

Sun Tzu wrote:

If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.
:mrgreen:

Pick2

#31 Post by Pick2 »

llivv wrote: Humm wonder what's eating pottering these days
golinux wrote:I'm hoping a pending pink slip! LOLOLOL!!!
Microsoft is going to Fire Him ??? :lol:

golinux

#32 Post by golinux »

Pick2 wrote:
llivv wrote: Humm wonder what's eating pottering these days
golinux wrote:I'm hoping a pending pink slip! LOLOLOL!!!
Microsoft is going to Fire Him ??? :lol:
He's working for IBM now since they bought HatRed.
May the FORK be with you!

Funkygoby

#33 Post by Funkygoby »

I remember discussing systemd a while ago.
My opinion was that the vote was called too soon for choosing the default init. If it was to take place today we would have more context regarding systemd. Is it technically reliable? How about the community?
I have nothing against systemd but this is not the best init for a system such as Debian. The project just doesn't fit into Debian

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#34 Post by None1975 »

Funkygoby wrote:The project just doesn't fit into Debian
Well said. +1!
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

sjukfan

#35 Post by sjukfan »

Personally I think systemd has the same problem as Gnome these days, things are changing a bit too much, they'd both need a LTS to fit into Debian stable. And I'd be pretty miffed if firefox or something depended on either.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

bw123

#36 Post by bw123 »

sjukfan wrote:Personally I think systemd has the same problem as Gnome these days, things are changing a bit too much, they'd both need a LTS to fit into Debian stable. And I'd be pretty miffed if firefox or something depended on either.
LTS is a crapout, (copout?) kde plasma in stretch is LTS and they haven't updated jack. LTS is just another slogan. All upstream wants to do is make new stuff that's more like windows every release. All LTS means is, "It's sort of broken, but we promise the next ver will be better, so go ahead and release it."

The pressure on debian leadership is obvious, release the new stable without trendy new 'linux thing' or desktop, or accept the broken ver into stable and call it LTS, with a promise of support that can't be fulfilled.

I swear, 15 yr old window managersand DSL or KNOPPIX from 15 yrs ago are more stable than this newer stuff. Honest, get a dsl 3 or knoppix 3 and see how often you can crash it? Now, they can be hard to boot, but that's another issue. The point is, once booted, it used to be true that LINUX don't crash.

https://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Wheelerof4te

#37 Post by Wheelerof4te »

bw123 wrote:LTS is a crapout, (copout?) kde plasma in stretch is LTS and they haven't updated jack.
IIRC, there was a proposal to upgrade Plasma 5.8 LTS in Stretch to a newer point release, but it hasn't been done for the fear of breaking it.

Sadly, as LTS versions go, you may be correct. But in Debian Stable, virtually any software with an active maintainer can be considered LTS. The same is with systemd.
Oh, wait...it's not :mrgreen:

llivv

#38 Post by llivv »

LTS may have outlasted it's duty cycle. since it was originally designed to help users avoid systemd in jessie.... Now, it's a fad in other places to help users avoid other inevitable breakage from other distro upgrades.... Those distrossss know who they are....
Next up Systemd deps on m$ kernel.... and ban Linus from the systemd bug tracker, like pottering has wanted to do for years now....

Head_on_a_Stick

#39 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

llivv wrote:LTS may have outlasted it's duty cycle. since it was originally designed to help users avoid systemd in jessie.
Are you completely deluded?

So the "longterm" kernels listed over at https://www.kernel.org/ were designed for jessie? What a load of crap.

Please stop posting this FUD, it's getting really boring...
deadbang

llivv

#40 Post by llivv »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
llivv wrote:LTS may have outlasted it's duty cycle. since it was originally designed to help users avoid systemd in jessie.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Are you completely deluded?
Please let us all know when and why Debian LTS was started.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:So the "longterm" kernels listed over at https://www.kernel.org/ were designed for jessie? What a load of crap.
"longterm" -- how do you get LTS from "longterm". Must be the new vernacular or some other silly "crap" thought up lately to be distributed thoughout the enterprises. linux.com
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Please stop posting this FUD, it's getting really boring...
yes Please stop, you might want to try taking that head off the stick and have it examined.

Code: Select all

"And don't take it personally, I'm just trying to stay in the non-caustic tone and spirit of these boards."[/quote]

might want to consider asking to have this thread locked too.