Which DE will you use on Buster?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Which DE choice for Debian Buster?

Gnome
17%
KDE
8%
Cinnamon
3%
Xfce
36%
MATE
6%
LXQt
8%
Enlightenment
No votes
Other
22%

Total votes : 36

Re: Which DE will you use on Buster?

Postby Ardouos » 2019-04-15 07:35

Still with Openbox with Tint2 and Feh on my main box.

KDE on my laptop.
Ardouos

Postby sickpig » 2019-04-15 08:32

openbox+xfce4panel = solution to all the problems in the world
sickpig

Postby None1975 » 2019-04-15 12:17

No DE at all! Just xmonad+xmobar.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files in github
None1975

Postby ravisista » 2019-04-18 20:32

XFCE. Been using it for couple of months now. Home directory shared between Stretch and Buster. No issues so far. Once XFCE user, always a XFCE user :D
ravisista

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-04-18 20:42

OT:
ravisista wrote:Home directory shared between Stretch and Buster.

That's not a good idea, the new package versions in buster may have different configuration methods so sharing $XDG_CONFIG_HOME may cause problems.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby NFT5 » 2019-04-19 11:40

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:That's not a good idea, the new package versions in buster may have different configuration methods

Agree fully. Mixing DEs with a common Home will cause even more problems. If you want common access to data it's better to put that all on a separate partition or drive and than mount that drive/partition to a folder in /home on startup, using fstab.

As for the original question for this thread, XFCE, after MATE continued to suffer panel crashes. I don't particularly like XFCE, I think that it needs quite a lot of streamlining from the rather raw state in which it is initially presented, certainly in Debian, whereas MATE is usable with little extra configuration OOTB. XFCE in MX is a much better example of how it should be.
NFT5

Postby ravisista » 2019-04-19 11:58

NFT5 wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:That's not a good idea, the new package versions in buster may have different configuration methods

Agree fully. Mixing DEs with a common Home will cause even more problems. If you want common access to data it's better to put that all on a separate partition or drive and than mount that drive/partition to a folder in /home on startup, using fstab.

As for the original question for this thread, XFCE, after MATE continued to suffer panel crashes. I don't particularly like XFCE, I think that it needs quite a lot of streamlining from the rather raw state in which it is initially presented, certainly in Debian, whereas MATE is usable with little extra configuration OOTB. XFCE in MX is a much better example of how it should be.

That's exactly what I am doing and I meant (should have been more clear, I guess). /home is a separate partition and the same user(xxx)/home directory (/home/xxx) is used in both Stretch/Buster. No issues so far. Tried the same with Xubuntu, ran into multiple issues. Dropped the idea and created a new user in Xubuntu - which is only there for backup reasons. Stretch is Primary OS for now, till Buster gets released officially.
ravisista

Previous

Return to General Discussion