about installing packages

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

about installing packages

Postby rupeshforu3 » 2013-03-20 08:40

Sir I am the user of debian from debian 4.0 etch. I have some bad experience while operating debian pastly. Installing packages in debian is very difficult than rpm based distros like opensuse,fedora. I am requesting to make the process of installing packages easy in your further release ie., debian wheezy. I am also requesting to make use of master password I mean same username and password for all softwares like databases(MySql,SqLite) etc.,. Again I am greedy I mean I want to install all the packages available from your repositories atleast desktops,multimedia apps and so provide better support for installing packages easily with minimum intervention from me.
rupeshforu3

Re: about installing packages

Postby Randicus » 2013-03-20 09:01

Here we go again. :roll:
Randicus

Postby confuseling » 2013-03-20 09:11

This still doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

It's a bit like wanting to borrow every book from the library at the same time. It's an abuse of a common resource so they won't let you, and even if they did, you couldn't make use of them all.

Just install the software you want to use. The rest of it will still be available when you get around to wanting to use it.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here
confuseling

Postby llivv » 2013-03-20 09:24

installing all debian packages breaks the system
Don't do it!
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
llivv

Postby rupeshforu3 » 2013-03-20 10:09

Ok I agree installing all the packages will break the system. Is there a concept of group install in debian suppose I want to install gnome desktop I need not select each and every individual package in synaptic. What I am expecting is that there must be a file or package and when I select it, the package manager must install all the best packages related to gnome excluding dependencies likewise I am expecting for lxde,multimedia etc., and I will not install remaining packages.Another issue is previously when I try to install new software, package manager is asking new username and password to assign to the respected software so there must be master account which must be applicable to all the software of debian.

Conclusion is that I am requesting debian developers to study the opensuse software manager and how it handles software installation and resolving dependencies. In opensuse if we try to install a particular package it will recursively display about dependencies and also it will never ask new username and password for the package to be installed.

Regards,
Rupesh.
rupeshforu3

Postby llivv » 2013-03-20 10:22

how do you install debian?
what image file do you use ( include the url of the image please )
and what media do you put it on
and what initial install option[s] do you choose after booting the install media?

what release of debian do you use?
which desktop environment do you use more,
gnome or lxde
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
llivv

Postby Randicus » 2013-03-20 10:57

rupeshforu3 wrote:Is there a concept of group install in debian suppose I want to install gnome desktop I need not select each and every individual package in synaptic.

Such as meta-packages? For example, the package Gnome:
This is the GNOME Desktop environment, an intuitive and attractive
desktop, with extra components.

This package depends on the standard distribution of the GNOME desktop
environment, plus a complete range of plugins and other applications
integrating with GNOME and Debian, providing the best possible
environment to date.

Another issue is previously when I try to install new software, package manager is asking new username and password to assign to the respected software

:?:
How on Earth did you manage that?
Randicus

Postby sakamoto » 2013-03-20 11:00

he is probably referring to the password required for becoming root when using command line or synaptic's gui?
debian 7.0 wheezy 3.2.0-4-686-pae gnu/linux
sakamoto

Postby cynwulf » 2013-03-20 11:03

rupeshforu3 wrote:Conclusion is that I am requesting debian developers to study the opensuse software manager and how it handles software installation and resolving dependencies. In opensuse if we try to install a particular package it will recursively display about dependencies and also it will never ask new username and password for the package to be installed.

If openSUSE works for you, then just use it, no one is going to complain.

Also this is not Debian, the official forums or a means of contacting Debian developers. If you want to contact developers then try the mailing lists, etc...
cynwulf

Postby confuseling » 2013-03-20 11:07

Databases, wikis, etc. will ask for a password when you install them.

Makes sense to me - I just type in my password...
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here
confuseling

Postby Randicus » 2013-03-20 11:22

Databases, wikis, etc. will ask for a password when you install them.

he is probably referring to the password required for becoming root when using command line or synaptic's gui?

It is possible the reference is to entering the password to open Synaptic, but the part that makes me suspect otherwise is this:
it will never ask new username and password for the package to be installed.

New user name and password?
That, coupled with the OP's history, causes me to immediately suspect the worst.
Randicus

Postby rupeshforu3 » 2013-03-20 12:45

Are meta packages available for every category in debian if so where are they located.
rupeshforu3

Postby cynwulf » 2013-03-20 13:36

There are meta-packages for the three main desktops - there are also many more which I am not going to list here - they are in the repositories along with all of the other packages...
cynwulf

Postby paulcs » 2013-03-20 17:26

cynwulf wrote:
rupeshforu3 wrote:Conclusion is that I am requesting debian developers to study the opensuse software manager and how it handles software installation and resolving dependencies. In opensuse if we try to install a particular package it will recursively display about dependencies and also it will never ask new username and password for the package to be installed.

If openSUSE works for you, then just use it, no one is going to complain.

+1 If you like OpenSUSE use it instead.
Debian Testing Wheezy XFCE 4.8 amd64 bit 1.5 ghz quad-core 6gb ram 750 gb hd laptop.
paulcs

Postby dasein » 2013-03-20 17:31

paulcs wrote:
cynwulf wrote:If openSUSE works for you, then just use it, no one is going to complain.

+1 If you like OpenSUSE use it instead.

+∞ (And take the trolling to the openSUSE forums.)
dasein

Next

Return to General Discussion