"Free as in Free Beer" Hardware /home

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: "Free as in Free Beer" Hardware /home

Postby /tmp » 2013-12-04 17:41

Does anyone need DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM? I've just inherited a few sticks from various laptops and want others to get some use out of them.
Jessie | Intel I5-3380M | Dell Latitude e6530 Laptop | 4 GB RAM | Intel HD Graphics 4000

"To check for updates, you must first install an update for Windows Update."
/tmp

Postby DNAngel » 2014-06-02 08:42

Very nice gesture! I will look in my "spare parts" box and see if i can find anything of use.
DNAngel

Postby sammy66 » 2014-07-30 07:06

I have plenty of old hardware of all kinds sitting stored, unused. I also keep several rather long-in-the-tooth systems running various flavors of Linux as testing and storage platforms. But the reason the rest of the stuff is taking up space and gathering dust is because it is just basically obsolete. I don't wish to burden anyone with the frustration that would surely ensue attempting to utilize my old junk.
sammy66

Postby koanhead » 2014-07-31 00:57

sammy66 wrote:I have plenty of old hardware of all kinds sitting stored, unused. I also keep several rather long-in-the-tooth systems running various flavors of Linux as testing and storage platforms. But the reason the rest of the stuff is taking up space and gathering dust is because it is just basically obsolete. I don't wish to burden anyone with the frustration that would surely ensue attempting to utilize my old junk.

There are many charities which would be happy to receive such old junk. I'm part of one called Free Geek Seattle in, as you might guess, the Seattle area. We accept donations of hardware of all kinds, and we ethically recycle any bits we can't reuse. What we can reuse goes to our Adoption and Build programs: volunteers learn to build computers and earn a free computer, either by building or by contributing volunteer hours to us. Our website is at freegeekseattle.org

Free Geek Seattle is based on a similar organization in Portland Oregon called Free Geek. There are several more in various US cities- there might be one near you.
koanhead

Postby /tmp » 2014-08-02 06:35

I've found myself in need of material for an updated video demo reel (I work professionally in multimedia production). As such, I thought about producing video reviews on whether or not specific hardware works with an entirely Free Software system ala the Free Software Foundation's website.

Would anyone be interested in watching this sort of thing? If so, I can contact certain vendors to see if I can test their hardware before returning said hardware (e.g. product samples they release to "Big Media" vendors).
Jessie | Intel I5-3380M | Dell Latitude e6530 Laptop | 4 GB RAM | Intel HD Graphics 4000

/tmp

Postby millpond » 2015-07-12 23:28

/tmp wrote:Does anyone need DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM? I've just inherited a few sticks from various laptops and want others to get some use out of them.

A hearty *thank you* for your most graious offer.

But... with the enormous cost of international postage, it would be of enormous help to know *where* you are located. I have ancient XP systems here that can use some decent ram and GPU upgrades (My Radeon 9550 AGP has been deprecated!!!)
millpond

Postby /tmp » 2015-07-23 01:43

millpond wrote:
/tmp wrote:Does anyone need DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM? I've just inherited a few sticks from various laptops and want others to get some use out of them.

A hearty *thank you* for your most graious offer.

But... with the enormous cost of international postage, it would be of enormous help to know *where* you are located. I have ancient XP systems here that can use some decent ram and GPU upgrades (My Radeon 9550 AGP has been deprecated!!!)

I live in Michigan: America's "high-five."

I may have some GPUs available since the demise of my Shaqintosh project.

/tmp

Postby manbearpig » 2015-09-20 08:37

Ancient XP systems huh? I guess that makes the NT4 era machine I'm using right now prehistoric!

By the way, if anybody has got 512MB sticks of ECC PC133 I would definitely be interested.
manbearpig

Re: "Free as in Free Beer"

Postby mia johnson » 2015-11-06 06:10

hi,
as I think this is a good idea and it will be also interesting what is maybe required/requested as I have large amounts of DDR2/3 which are in good condition but too small for our needs and otherwise we donate them or throw them away
mia johnson

Postby /tmp » 2017-04-10 20:10

Hello, world! I've recently moved into an apartment where I can set up space for "Free as in Free Beer" Hardware. I am going to make an inventory of what I have and would be more than happy to help users with cables, hardware and what-not. The only thing I ask is help with shipping.

/tmp

Previous

Return to General Discussion