"Free as in Free Beer" Hardware /home

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: "Free as in Free Beer" Hardware /home

Postby herpygumbo » 2013-06-28 02:41

Any of you guys have a spare SATA hard drive? It's for a lenovo think station that I'm gonna sell. I have no use for it and I'm struggleing for money.
So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be?
herpygumbo

Postby /tmp » 2013-07-01 05:05

andrewrogers wrote:
/tmp wrote:How far back should we go in terms of CPUs/processors? I'm scrapping my aunt's AMD AM2 machine due to a dead motherboard. Since this is a legacy OEM product from Gateway replacement parts are hard to find/expensive.

If anyone thinks AM2 are worth listing as available, I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor ADA3800CUBOX :)

Anything that supports SATA should be pretty good. AM2 machines aren't too bad.

Jolly good because I just inherited another AM2 CPU.
Jessie | Intel I5-3380M | Dell Latitude e6530 Laptop | 4 GB RAM | Intel HD Graphics 4000

"To check for updates, you must first install an update for Windows Update."
/tmp

Postby /tmp » 2013-07-15 01:36

ProfessorFarnsworth wrote:Good news, everyone!

I just bought a GIGABYTE AM3+ GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard on eBay for a stupid-cheap price; the board is brand new but the user did not know how to flash a BIOS so they sold it "as-is." :roll: :lol:

With that being said I can list the motherboard in my signature -- i.e. GIGABYTE AM3 GA-MA78LMT-S2 -- if anyone is interested in said board. The only issue I have with this board is that one of the SATA ports fell off, so I only have 3 SATA ports on-board. Other than that, it works fine with Free Software :)

herpygumbo wrote:Any of you guys have a spare SATA hard drive? It's for a lenovo think station that I'm gonna sell. I have no use for it and I'm struggleing for money.

Do you still have the lenovo? I may, in fact, have a spare SATA drive for you :)
Jessie | Intel I5-3380M | Dell Latitude e6530 Laptop | 4 GB RAM | Intel HD Graphics 4000

/tmp

Postby shirish » 2013-08-11 08:07

/tmp wrote:

I just bought a GIGABYTE AM3+ GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard on eBay for a stupid-cheap price; the board is brand new but the user did not know how to flash a BIOS so they sold it "as-is." :roll: :lol:

With that being said I can list the motherboard in my signature -- i.e. GIGABYTE AM3 GA-MA78LMT-S2 -- if anyone is interested in said board. The only issue I have with this board is that one of the SATA ports fell off, so I only have 3 SATA ports on-board. Other than that, it works fine with Free Software :)

herpygumbo wrote:Any of you guys have a spare SATA hard drive? It's for a lenovo think station that I'm gonna sell. I have no use for it and I'm struggleing for money.

Do you still have the lenovo? I may, in fact, have a spare SATA drive for you :)

umm.... that looks tempting. Just went through the specs. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3583#ov

Onboard Radeon (i.e. GNU/Linux foss drivers, yeah!) and goodiness of DDR3 and SATA 2 (the specs. say SATA 3Gb/s storage interface and IIRC SATA 3 is 6 Gb/s ) .

My issue with that board would only be getting an AMD CPU. Getting any sort of AMD CPU's is rare and expensive from where I am (From India, South East Asia) . If you could help would be appreciated. Please lemme know if you can ship it to India (can PM the address). This would primarily be used in education with some low-end gaming.
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, GNOME 3.14 Flashback.
shirish

Postby /tmp » 2013-08-13 05:08

shirish wrote:
/tmp wrote:

umm.... that looks tempting. Just went through the specs. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3583#ov

Onboard Radeon (i.e. GNU/Linux foss drivers, yeah!) and goodiness of DDR3 and SATA 2 (the specs. say SATA 3Gb/s storage interface and IIRC SATA 3 is 6 Gb/s ) .

My issue with that board would only be getting an AMD CPU. Getting any sort of AMD CPU's is rare and expensive from where I am (From India, South East Asia) . If you could help would be appreciated. Please lemme know if you can ship it to India (can PM the address). This would primarily be used in education with some low-end gaming.

Currently, I have two AM2 CPUs which I'm going to run through some benchmarks and put up for anyone. I gave away a spare AM3 CPU but I am willing to pick up a new one especially if it is going to be used in a school setting. I've just spent a hilariously large amount of cash on professional audio equipment for contract work I've been doing, so it may be a little while before I can fulfill this. Nonetheless, I will do my part to help :)

/tmp

Postby geelo » 2013-09-21 18:15

Hi,
I'm trying to put together a old system together for my daughter (She's very young but already has a good technical mind like her old man 8) )
I'm very strapped for cash as I am paying for her "big" hospital bills (intestinal defect).

I've been looking around swap shops down here in S.C. and I can not find a old AGP 1.0 or 2.0 video card.. it's for an old Micron PC (P4 Tower). The onboard video card is a bit wonky and having a 1.0 or 2.0 AGP video card installed in this workstation would make things a lot faster and reliable.
Even a higher end PCI video card would be good enough.

Would any of you guys have one in your vast holdings of ancient legacy parts? :wink:

Thank You - Geelo
Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Security, Hardware, Software and Networking... and I am still learning more after 20+ years in IT. ;-)
geelo

Postby /tmp » 2013-09-21 22:09

geelo wrote:Hi,
I'm trying to put together a old system together for my daughter (She's very young but already has a good technical mind like her old man 8) )
I'm very strapped for cash as I am paying for her "big" hospital bills (intestinal defect).

I've been looking around swap shops down here in S.C. and I can not find a old AGP 1.0 or 2.0 video card.. it's for an old Micron PC (P4 Tower). The onboard video card is a bit wonky and having a 1.0 or 2.0 AGP video card installed in this workstation would make things a lot faster and reliable.

Would any of you guys have one in your vast holdings of ancient legacy parts? :wink:

Thank You - Geelo

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. While I no longer have AGP cards, I do have one remaining PCI GPU. Specifically it is an NVIDIA PNY GeForce fx5200 DDR 128 MB card. It features two VGA outputs and an S-Video output. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

/tmp

Postby bw123 » 2013-09-24 15:28

geelo wrote:having a 1.0 or 2.0 AGP video card installed in this workstation would make things a lot faster and reliable.

Thank You - Geelo

I'd take the card /tmp is offerring, sounds nice, but i do have a Rage XL agp 1.0 board with 8mb I don't need. It's a 3.3v slot only, one notch towards the connector.

bw123

Postby unicornswag » 2013-11-11 00:26

I wouldn't be posting here unless this was a last resort, but I am currently in need of some PC100 RAM for my old iMac G3. Its current 320 mb is quite low for most desktop tasks, and as I am 17 y/o, a little strapped for cash, and live in a somewhat remote area, my options to get some more memory are limited. An extra 256 mb should be plenty, and 512 would be great, although I dont think G3's will accept more than 1 gb. So if anyone in the US who has some old memory laying around would be kind enough to send me a stick, it would be greatly appreciated. I could definitely reimburse you for shipping costs, probably just mailing the postage would be the easiest. Feel free to send me a PM or post here if you would be willing to help me keep this dinosaur of a machine running Debian for a few more years. Thanks!
Debian 7.1 Wheezy KDE / DWM

2001 600 mhz iMac G3

Ubuntu: An ancient African word meaning "I can't configure Debian."
unicornswag

Postby admoore » 2013-11-23 04:36

Someone gave me a Dell opti 745, but gutted the RAM first. If anyone would be willing to send me any amount of DDR2, I promise to give it a good home. I can reimburse shipping, but if you're outside the US it's probably not worth it for either of us. Specs on what it supports are here:
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/pr ... hspecs.pdf

Appreciate any help.
admoore

Postby unicornswag » 2013-11-29 06:03

Hey Admoore, sorry for the late reply. I believe my iMac accepts standard PC100 RAM that was common in the late 90's and early 2000's. Regarding a "minimum amount that would be useful", I really have no minimum. I currently have a 256 and 64 mb stick Installed, so anything over 128 mb would help. 256 would be great, or if could spare it, 512 would be ideal. However, G3's won't accept over 1 gig. If you would be kind enough to part with a stick, let me know and I'd be very grateful!

I'm assuming you're in the US? If so, I can give you my address & reimburse shipping.

PS: I'm posting this here because you have private messages disabled on your account :)

2001 600 mhz iMac G3

unicornswag

Postby oswaldkelso » 2013-11-29 09:18

I may have a spare 256MB stick somewhere in the workshop I'll look later and let you know.... That said I have a several spare PPC G4's but the postage and import duty would be astronomical. If you happen to be passing anywhere near Edinburgh let me know and I'd be happy to let you have one.

Edit: I have a 256MB pc100 stick but no easy way to check it as it came out of G3 500 Graphic that went pop.

What model do you have?
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/i ... tions.html I suspect this is original spec as Crucial http://www.crucial.com shows pc133 for all imac slot loading models (every model above 350Mhz) and I seem to recall using pc133 This would increase your chances of finding 2x512MB sticks :wink:

The memory I have won't fit in Tray loader imac which has a smaller laptop type form factor, and whilst slot loaders aren’t meant support a Gig of ram I recall people saying they had had success with some sticks. I'll let you search for that one.
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby unicornswag » 2013-11-29 18:44

Okay, so I checked and the original 256 mb stick that came with the machine is PC133. However, the 64 mb stick that I added from an old PC is standard PC100. So I guess it will accept either. It is a summer 2001 slot loader, using regular desktop style RAM sticks. If you could find that 256 mb stick, that would be wonderful!

2001 600 mhz iMac G3

unicornswag

Postby oswaldkelso » 2013-11-29 22:51

I need to open myeyes and read your sig :) pm me your address and I'll post it.
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby admoore » 2013-12-02 19:17

unicornswag wrote:PS: I'm posting this here because you have private messages disabled on your account :)

whoops, my bad. I turned it back on and sent you a PM.
admoore

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion