Favorite DE/WM in Wheezy

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Favorite DE/WM in Wheezy

Gnome 3.4.2
22%
KDE 4.8.4
16%
Xfce 4.8.3
34%
Lxde 0.5.5
4%
Openbox 3.5.0
7%
Fluxbox 1.3.2
1%
IceWM 1.3.7
1%
awesome 3.4.13
3%
xmonad 0.10
2%
other (please specify)
12%

Total votes : 116

Re: Favorite DE/WM in Wheezy

Postby anastasis » 2013-05-22 11:09

Cinnamon. I'm sold on it. I don't care if it's a Mint fork. It's just flat better. So I've betrayed the cause. I don't care. Cinnamon actually makes gtk3 functional. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
"He might be a German, but he ain't no Einstein."
anastasis

Postby MALsPa » 2013-05-22 11:50

dasein wrote:re-asking the question at this juncture--or with any Stable release--seems like a perfectly appropriate thing to do

I think so, too. Glad to see the poll and the comments in this thread.

bholten wrote:I have to say, after getting used to it, I quite like it, but I can see why it caused such an uproar. I already find myself missing many of Gnome 3's features when I use other desktops.

I miss things about GNOME Shell when I'm using something else, too -- especially dynamic workspaces. There are things about KDE that I miss when I'm not using that, too, though. I did a Wheezy KDE installation the other day, and it looks pretty good.

I think that Nautilus is actually what I like least about GNOME 3, but it's easy enough to install a different file manager to use (I don't care all that much for Thunar in Xfce, either).
MALsPa

Postby vbrummond » 2013-05-22 14:51

anastasis wrote:Cinnamon. I'm sold on it. I don't care if it's a Mint fork. It's just flat better. So I've betrayed the cause. I don't care. Cinnamon actually makes gtk3 functional. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hey, its in Debian, so it's DFSG compliant, no worries. :)

I am rethinking KDE. The desktop itself is ok however: The only bloaty software I really need is a Email/Calendar/Contacts/Notes kind of PIM application. I don't like Thunderbird/Icedove, so its either Evolution or KDEPIM, and KDEPIM is terribly buggy garbage. :(

Evolution works fine.
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby dasein » 2013-05-22 15:16

vbrummond wrote:KDEPIM is terribly buggy garbage. :(

Just in case you don't know, Debian devs have deliberately held back portions of KDEPIM (including KMail) because of buginess. So on the off chance that you are letting your experience with/in SUSE color your choice, it might be worth double-checking KDEPIM in Debian.

(Not sayin' that Debian's KDEPIM suite is bugfree... just an observation.)
dasein

Postby bwat47 » 2013-05-23 13:50

The main reason I don't use KDE is because for a long time kwin has had a bug where its compositing tears on intel ironlake/sandybridge/ivybridge near the top of the screen (even with vsync on), which is really annoying when watching fullscreen video. I tried using smplayer with gl outout and setting kwin to turn off compositing when smplayer was open, but for some reason that only removed tearing for certain videos (4:3 aspect ratio videos gave me tearing everywhere, very strange...), and VLC's GLX output cannot remove tearing at all on intel because it does not page-flip. The only other option is the intel xorg TearFree option but it has terrible performance. The bug is only fixed in the upcoming kde 4.11. If it wasn't for that I might be using KDE right now.

The other thing that annoys me about KDE is how dolphin handles network shares. It uses kio to browse them but it does not have the capability to mount them, which is a huge PIA because very few software properly supports kio. For example even KDE's default dragonplayer video player cannot open a video from a smb share in dolphin. the only player I've found that can is VLC (and not because it supports kio, only because it happens to have its own smb access module), but I have severe audio sync issues with vlc ever since version 2.0.4 so thats off the table (and the vlc developers just say "wontfix" and blame pulseaudio, even though every single other video player works flawlessly for me with pulseaudio, including older versions of VLC). putting the share in fstab is a huge pia and I don't find it to be an acceptable solution (this is a laptop and I don't always have it at home where it can access the share, so I want to be able to mount/unmount the share on demand as a user in my file manager, which I can't do this way). smb4k works for mounting them via gvfs, but its a rather buggy piece of software :(. I really wish KDE would just allow us to mount the share instead of expecting all software to use kio, when the reality is that even kde software doesn't seem to fully support it and I haven't seen a single video player that can stream a video via kio. /rant
bwat47

Postby sirfer » 2013-05-25 01:12

I use openbox almost exclusively. IMO it seems the further the 'traditional' DE's 'advance' the more problems pop up. Started using xcompmgr to fix various tearing issues with ATI drivers....yeah I know ATI sucks (it does, i'm not joking) but us beggars cannot necessarily always be choosers.

I decided that since a WM is all I need and I can customise it to my hearts content without breaking a bunch of stuff or needing a mountain of dependencies, then that was for me.

Been happy with openbox with my own customisations for about 3 years now...
sirfer

Postby JWJones » 2013-05-25 14:09

sirfer wrote:I use openbox almost exclusively. IMO it seems the further the 'traditional' DE's 'advance' the more problems pop up.

I decided that since a WM is all I need and I can customise it to my hearts content without breaking a bunch of stuff or needing a mountain of dependencies, then that was for me.

I have just moved from Xfce to Openbox, and I'm loving it. With keybindings and such, I am really able to customize, too. Very quick and efficient.
Last edited by JWJones on 2013-06-05 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
JWJones

Postby Gyokuro » 2013-05-27 21:47

I'm currentley testing Gnome3 as we will switch our ubuntu 10.04 systems to Debian but I think for our users it is easier to work with XFCE4. My favorite WM is dwm/i3 - Gnome3 is not that bad but it take some time and releases to get comfortable again as Gnome2.
Gyokuro

Postby Atomic-Fanboy » 2013-06-02 21:43

Updated post - Sunday 4 August 2013

KDE 4.8 - Beautiful with good desktop effects and tons of Plasma / SuperKaramba add-ons. Somewhat sluggish.
Razor-QT 0.5.2 - Responsive and looks pretty slick even after install and before modification.
Openbox 3.5 - Looks hideous immediately after install. After customisation - looks great and runs great :D

(Personally, a tie between KDE 4.8 and Razor QT 0.5.2)
Last edited by Atomic-Fanboy on 2013-08-04 22:28, edited 2 times in total.
Intel B820 (Dualcore Celeron Mobile 1700MHz) - 8GB RAM
Debian 7.1 Openbox / Win7
Atomic-Fanboy

Postby buntunub » 2013-06-03 04:27

KDE all the way. It is simply amazing in Wheezy.
buntunub

Postby airborne.rodent » 2013-06-07 15:00

Notion WM (http://notion.sourceforge.net/).

Discovered it in 2009 (while it was still ion3 by Tuomo Valkonen) and then went for the fork.

It is a perfect, totally Zen WM. And finding perfection has at least one consequence - you just don't search anymore.

So I don't!
airborne.rodent

Postby vadimkolchev » 2013-06-08 09:17

Just installed default- gnome3, and it pleases me.
vadimkolchev

Postby confuseling » 2013-06-08 11:55

airborne.rodent wrote:Notion WM (http://notion.sourceforge.net/).

Discovered it in 2009 (while it was still ion3 by Tuomo Valkonen) and then went for the fork.

It is a perfect, totally Zen WM. And finding perfection has at least one consequence - you just don't search anymore.

So I don't!

I'm glad to see that's hit the repos now. I'd read about Ion3 being great, but its developer having a bust up with the distributions (yes, as far as I know, all of them).

I'd forgotten about it, but I'll give it a whirl... Cheers for the tip-off.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here
confuseling

Postby shicy » 2013-06-08 16:39

favorite DE - KDE
favorite WM - Awesome
Debian Sid
shicy

Postby cisco88 » 2013-06-09 17:18

Personally, I found that i3 suits more then enough my needs :P
Luca Francesca <luca.francesca01@gmail.com>