Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I am in love...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

I am in love...

#1 Post by Guest »

...with Linux!

I am not an expert or anything else. I am a programmer/artist (strange pair...).
I've been using Microsoft since 1994 (DOS, different Windowses). I am not an "I-hate-windows" guy, though I clearly see its many problems (not to mention its business behavior...). I tried to install Linux back in time in 1998. I was successful, but I was so
got used to graphical interfaces (and I wasn't able to get X Windows then) that after some time I removed it and used only Windows again.

I've read about Linux here and there (and it gave me great joy when Linux'd beaten
Windows here and there (Vienna, Munich, probably Bergen...) and I saw some great images on Linux websites about the graphical interfaces (Gnome, KDE, etc) 2 weeks before I decided I should have one. After struggling some time with network, sound and other setups, now I have a working Linux (with 2 GUIs). Not to mention that I've downloaded Linspire Live, what worked flawless (without struggling), but that's a paying one.

Now, I always use Linux because I really love it! It is flexible, faster then my XP, doesn't want to be rebooted all the time. Anyway, I am glad, that I decided to install it!

jobezone

Re: I am in love...

#2 Post by jobezone »

While not being original, I have to say: Me too!
And I've been hooked up with Debian for years now, we're pratically married by now (hope she'll forgive my temporary foray with Ubuntu).

gpetersz

#3 Post by gpetersz »

Well... Seems honest, but ironic a bit... :?

Actually, Windows could be regarded as my old, unwilling, and expensive wife... :wink:

After using it for 9 years it is really refreshing to face that I can have
a different and also very professional OS with an even better GUI (I use KDE). If ever all my apps would run on WINE...
Experience the Beauty of the Beast at
http://www.beautyofbeast.com

benjim

Re: I am in love...

#4 Post by benjim »

Anonymous wrote:I am a programmer/artist (strange pair...)
Not at all:

http://www.paulgraham.com/hp.html

wallis

just no words to explain

#5 Post by wallis »

only using comp since 2001 but scine i found out about linux i wanted to try it - in this order- college, fedroa, mandrake, astara, yoper, Suse, gentoo( gentoo no joy lol )well about 7-6 more then a m8 said try debian, bloody hell, what an operating system, shell shocked no problems with anything have to say windows is going in the bin sooner than i thought there is to much hassale involved with windows now - debian seems to me, hassale free and for a novice user i find it easier to use. will defo donate. and for all them window users wanting something different and better well from my experience as a novice - try debian, i know there is no going back now.

startx

#6 Post by startx »

i started a hot love affair with Debian/Linux years ago and it became a great friendship after a while. it's kind of an open relationship because i also have a more SM-like affair with GNU/Hurd for a while now.

:)
debian squeeze for everyday life, many other versions for the rest

ktx

#7 Post by ktx »

I've changed to use Debian this year is fully addicted to it. I've been using Windows for 10 years until 2 years ago I was inspired by a colleague who told me that I can have another OS choice. So I began to use Linux and my "first love" was with Suse which impressed me so much. At that time I think that "Debian" was "cold and difficult" and will consume me a lot of time to deal with. However, due to challenge seeking I changed to Debian found that I'd entered a new world. Now I use Sid and I can use all the cutting edge packages by just typing apt-get install. I have no difficulty in building a fully functionally and versatile Debian system from zero in my notebook. Now I'm persuading my colleagues to make changes (we're in an XP/2000 colony) and they start listening to me!

bugman

#8 Post by bugman »

It's not so strange to be an artist/programmer; I first got involved with computers (Vic-20) when I realized that they could create music without drinking. Basic was limiting, so I learned assembly language, and it's been downhill from there...

Have been enjoying this forum a lot. I'm a Puppy user (I have dialup and it's small) but am working on getting Debian going on this machine. Windows-free since New Year's Day and loving it!

adssse

#9 Post by adssse »

I also am addicted to linux. I have tried a few different distros including DSL, Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian. I still have windows around to do a couple things for work and school, but the number of linux boxes is growing. It is great the amount of freedom that linux brings and one of the best parts to me is learning. I really enjoy learning more and more about linux as it gives me a great sense of accomplishment and excitement.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#10 Post by Lavene »

Our house is a MS free zone. We have three computers all running Debian. We don't even have a Windows CD. We had two WinXP licences (home and pro) but I gave them away to friends that used pirated versions :)

Tina

pagey007

#11 Post by pagey007 »

I have tried the top 10+ on distrowatch and keep going back to debian
It works very well on laptops as well which sorts the good from the average :)
The harder I work the luckier I get.

mullins

#12 Post by mullins »

I've got my USB modem working with Debian - something which I haven't been able to sort on any other distro so I'm stoked! :D

Bulkley

#13 Post by Bulkley »

Last time I upgraded my kernel, it only took 4 or 5 minutes to apt-get install a preconfigured one from the Sarge archives. :D Try that with any other system, Linux or otherwise.

touge_dorifuto

#14 Post by touge_dorifuto »

I started using Debian last year, with the 2.4, and had a lot of problems and ended up back in windows. Now I've got both of my machines using Debian with 2.6 and I love it. I absolutely hated windows, and I love debian. as soon as I can get my philips tv card to work I'll be completely set.

pony-tail

#15 Post by pony-tail »

I am fairly new to Debian per-se but I have been using Libranet for a while and have changed to Debian because of the imminent collaps of Libranet (due to the death of its founder) . Debian or Mepis being the closest to Libranet that I could find . Before Libranet I used to use SuSe and originally switched to linux when I got a Caldera CD with a magazine.
Before that I used a mix of Windows and Mac OS - I Started in the 80s whith a IIe and used Macs for years - I still keep a "pet" G4 with OS9.2 . But currently Debian (etch) is my day to day os .I have 2 Win XP sp2 liscences but neither is installed . Just do not like it ! but I have 2 machines that dual boot Debian and Win2k . I do not like M$ method of buisiness but their product does the job -to a point. I definately WILL NOT be buying Vista , so when 2k becomes unuseable that will be the end of M$ for me . So it looks like Debian for me from here on , unless I can get Gentoo to install cleanly (I keep screwing it up ) but I am learning.
PS. Just a note When I did my Senior year (1973) computers were the size of small buildings and I have no formal computer training at all.

john_h

#16 Post by john_h »

pony-tail wrote:I am fairly new to Debian per-se but I have been using Libranet for a while and have changed to Debian because of the imminent collaps of Libranet (due to the death of its founder) . Debian or Mepis being the closest to Libranet that I could find.
Good to see another member of the Libranet diaspora over here ;)

LN was a great introduction to Debian, and to Linux generally. I agree with the spirit of this thread - quite apart from all the benefits of being able to use a free (as in freedom) OS, Linux is just more fun than Windows. Like driving a nippy, responsive sports car rather than a stodgy family saloon.