Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How about having a palapeli-extra-data package

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
shirish

How about having a palapeli-extra-data package

#1 Post by shirish »

This is a small project but could be an interesting one, so wanted to know/see if people would be interested on this or not. I dunno how many people have played the game 'palapeli' . Apart from fun for people for all ages it does have lot of educational value esp. for younger kids. The only thing I find missing for it is a huge trache of content which would make it usable out of the box. There are only 5 puzzles in the game. Now I have found a site which has around 1000 odd nice pictures with CC-0 license. Please see http://pixabay.com/en/editors_choice/ for the pictures I am sharing.

If somebody has the time and the skills this is what they could do :-

a. Use some sort of recursive wget or curl and take all the images from the editor's choice and download it at some specific place/directory.

b. Palapeli has 5-6 different slicers, so maybe have a script which randomly selects a slicer and slices them into say 30-50 pieces for people to play with.

c. Pack all the resulting puzzles (.puzzle) files into a .deb file and call it palapeli-extra-data.

d. Find a sponsor and upload it to debian archive and profit.

The only hitch I see is I don't know whether content under CC-0 would be allowed in the archive. Logically don't think it should be any issue as we are using public domain archives.

There are and can be further fun work on this as well :-

a. Have some sort of tag system so properties of an image/puzzle can be used to put them into some sort of categories. For e.g. if we have lot of nature i.e. flowers, butterflies etc. they would be in nature category and things like that. That sort of thing.

Looking forward to see what people think of doing something like that.
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26

shirish

Re: How about having a palapeli-extra-data package

#2 Post by shirish »

for people who don't know what I am talking about - here's the game -

Code: Select all

[$] aptitude show palapeli palapeli-data                                                                                            [3:00:04]
Package: palapeli                        
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 4:15.04.2-1
Priority: optional
Section: games
Maintainer: Debian/Kubuntu Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 965 k
Depends: palapeli-data (>= 4:15.04.2-1), kde-runtime (> 4:4.10), libc6 (>= 2.14), libkdecore5 (>= 4:4.14), libkdeui5 (>= 4:4.14), libkio5 (>=
         4:4.14), libqt4-svg (>= 4:4.5.3), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.4.0)
Recommends: khelpcenter, qhull-bin
Description: jigsaw puzzle game
 Palapeli is a jigsaw puzzle game. Unlike other games in that genre, you are not limited to aligning pieces on imaginary grids. The pieces are freely moveable. 

Palapeli is the Finnish word for jigsaw puzzle. 

This package is part of the KDE games module.
Homepage: http://games.kde.org/
Tags: game::puzzle, implemented-in::c++, interface::x11, role::program, suite::kde, uitoolkit::qt, use::gameplaying, x11::application

Package: palapeli-data
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 4:15.04.2-1
Priority: optional
Section: games
Maintainer: Debian/Kubuntu Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 1,729 k
Description: data files for palapeli jigsaw puzzle game
 Data files (puzzles) for the palapeli puzzle game. 

Palapeli is a jigsaw puzzle game. Unlike other games in that genre, you are not limited to aligning pieces on imaginary grids. The pieces are freely moveable. 

Palapeli is the Finnish word for jigsaw puzzle. 

This package is part of the KDE games module.
Homepage: http://games.kde.org/
Tags: implemented-in::c++, role::app-data, suite::kde, uitoolkit::qt

Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26