dist-upgraded to Etch and Sid

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

dist-upgraded to Etch and Sid

Postby Lou » 2006-12-18 14:58

Yesterday, sunday, the devil got into me. I decided for no reason at all to leave the peace and quiet of Sarge and go for Etch. Now i realize that i was restless. Everything was working perfect, but noooo, i had to go and get in trouble.

I did an update/dist-upgrade for Etch and got in feces up to my eyeballs, nothing worked, xorg slapped me a few times, finally after an hour of trying my best, i was left with 2 options: re-install Sarge or go for Sid, i did not want to configure everything again, so i took the easy way out, and went for Sid. No problems that i can see, except it won't upgrade mozilla-firefox.

Life ain't easy for a boy named Lou :)
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
Lou

Postby thamarok » 2006-12-18 16:01

:lol:

Glad to see that you somehow got your system working.. :roll:
thamarok

Postby Lou » 2006-12-18 16:26

thamarok wrote::lol:

Glad to see that you somehow got your system working.. :roll:

As soon as i get a little time (tomorrow maybe), i'll go back to Stable.

I installed apt-listbugs and can't install jackcrap because of the severe bugs, i tried installing iceweasel and iceape or something like that. My .ratpoisonrc has some key bindings that don't work, i wonder why they call in 'unstable'.
Lou

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-18 16:38

Lou,

Going back to Sarge from Sid would be very hard, but you can go back to Etch with little problems.

http://bertgarcia.com/2006/10/03/giga-meet-etch
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard
hcgtv

Postby Lou » 2006-12-18 17:12

hcgtv wrote:Lou,

Going back to Sarge from Sid would be very hard, but you can go back to Etch with little problems.

http://bertgarcia.com/2006/10/03/giga-meet-etch

Jeje! no no, i'm going to INSTALL sarge. I will certainly try moving down to Etch, i'll let you know. Nice website.

Gracias, asere!
Lou

Postby Lou » 2006-12-18 18:33

Thanks, bud! I followed your instructions to the letter and it worked perfectly, i'm in Etch now. FF is version 1.5 and ratpoison is working fine. I put the sources.list with the name Etch (i wanna stay in Stable when etch becomes stable). Thanks again, you saved me a bunch of time configuring Stable if i would have done it.

:lol:
Lou

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-18 18:42

De nada :)
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard
hcgtv

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-12-18 23:07

Upgrading to etch or sid definitely requires some reading of the release notes if you haven't done it before...

I've upgraded several systems from sarge, or sarge+backports, and even woody, to etch with relatively little trouble though.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au
ajdlinux

Postby Lou » 2006-12-19 00:23

I've upgraded several systems from sarge, or sarge+backports, and even woody, to etch with relatively little trouble though.

So have i, and never read didly.

I speculate this time the fact that etch is frozen and some of the devs are pissed with the new rules of the devs' game, has something to do with it (they are accused of purposely slowing the release).

Disgruntled Debian developers delay Etch
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3128387759.html

But like i said, it's just speculation; i've upgraded plenty of times and never have had problems with my keyboard no matter what, this time i did innumerable dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and nothing. I boxed with xserver-org for an hour, and got slapped silly.

Sid->Etch was a dream, it was uneventful, go figure!
Last edited by Lou on 2006-12-19 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Lou

Postby craigevil » 2006-12-19 02:07

Glad you have everything working again.

Sid really isn't that bad and most of the bugs that apt-listbugs shows are nothing, the only ones I ever worry about are ones that say things like" KDE won't boot or kde/X crashes", the rest are usually safe to ignore.

I have been running Sid for over two years with no real problems the whole time. Occasionally a package will be broken but most of the time it is fixed in a matter of hours the next day at the latest.

Stick with what works for you. I wouldn't run anything but Sid, tweaking and updating is part of the fun. It helps to do apt-get dist-upgrade daily that way your system isn't much out of date.
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil

Postby Lou » 2006-12-19 13:25

craigevil wrote:Stick with what works for you. I wouldn't run anything but Sid, tweaking and updating is part of the fun. It helps to do apt-get dist-upgrade daily that way your system isn't much out of date.

Yeah, i always do a update/dist-upgrade first thing in the morning, even in Stable, you never know when a security update comes along.
Lou

Return to General Discussion