Portscan anomaly

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Portscan anomaly

Postby WizardOfZo » 2007-01-07 19:27

I had an disconcerting anomaly when using http://hackerwatch.org to test my firewall today.
I am running Etch as a web server with Firestarter

The first portscan pass came up with 21 (FTP) "Closed but reachable with no program currently accepting connections"
Firestarter's event list showed all the other ports that were scanned and blocked but no entry for FTP (I am not running an ftp server)

I ran it again and this time FTP came up secure and FTP did show up in the Firestarter event list this time.

I guess it could be a problem with hackerwatch.org, but I wonder if Firestarter may not be catching everything?

Another annoying problem that comes up occasionally with firestarter is that it intermittently fails to display new events (or to turn the Icon red)
New events will show if you hit reload, but to get the list to update in real time I need to shut it down and restart it.
WizardOfZo

Re: Portscan anomaly

Postby rbochan » 2007-01-07 23:15

WizardOfZo wrote:...Another annoying problem that comes up occasionally with firestarter is that it intermittently fails to display new events (or to turn the Icon red)
New events will show if you hit reload, but to get the list to update in real time I need to shut it down and restart it.

You might consider a bug report about that.
...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
it's Don't Tread On Me.
rbochan

Return to General Discussion