Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

init-system-helpers crushed the calculator !

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
sriliam

init-system-helpers crushed the calculator !

#1 Post by sriliam »

Hi everyone,

New here and have no time to participate until retreat !!!

So, general talk about debian.

I would like to make remark on what appended on 17th last month : init-system-helpers didn't have a functional way to go and litteraly crashed the box !!!
No way to get up from what I had : working kernel and built-in kernel busy box. Mount ok but not chroot !!! Torvalds talk recently about Fedora when source compiled was really old compared to the kernel during installation process : that is not exactly the same case but I think, atmho, that we could be illuminated if more test were done in order to get out bugs even at that so gone end-user low level of os.

At the end of the story, bug had been corrected extremly rapidly (around 2 days later) but bad things were done and no network to correct trouble ! There is nothing here except real farmers with real fields and animals for eat and hunt. So, after three days of unproduct dealing with the trouble, I'd been forced to look for cyber and took what needed !!! Before a long time ago, we had access to press magazines or books with cd-distro in it, but not now : everywhere is a desert for actualy new users who spare a lot of time because there even don't have a linux user, Unix never touch the ground here.

No, it was not possible : my machine was so down that I was convinced it was a material problem ! When assembly computer said that there were not hardware problem detect, he could also suggest me to install a proper windows operating system to perform good tasks and to have real benefit of a free damages software of my laptop and I've done more than 15 miles (~25 km) to heard that. It's humiliating and frustrating, really, when you've got a bachelor in computing science and work perfectly with Debian exclusively since 16 years. I was compiling kernel or gcc or glibc or so that "he" was not an idea with-in dad !

Ok, this is completly my fault and I would like to apologise myself to let you read this : "given as is, in the hope this is usefull, with no warranty" !!! Does someone eats with 2 Watts a day ? The cyber was at 15 miles more so let's go : I've been happy to only have ~22 miles to get back home.

3 days last, money to noone and spent for nothing and I didn't do more.

Us, prehistoric user of Debian, have still sometimes thought for the guy who drived glibc package as he was with an long term uncurable desease. Maintainer transition was done with some hurts because but not only of many files directory repository changed but only disturbed not stop the go-on process.

I would like to say that maintainer have a direct responsibility in what they do with low level os package : here there had been no test, no alarm, no nothing. I'not the only one in the world with this and lesson is still not passed, I rewrote the usb restore system key. And, if that particulary problem arise once again : no other resolution than the one just told will be done, I still trust Debian maintainer people serious. Re-read of grub licence philosiphy could be a start point.

What about have a speech with protocol on this sensitive critical low level software damaged in order to avoid that it will happen again ?

Someting like a default frozen state of package or more test or prevent to what can be made in case of a non atomic installed package ? When suppress linux kernel, you are warned that if the next don't work, you not be able to lauch the operating system any further.

Debian is the best distro without any more to say. Actualy, difficulties with amd64 & i386 with dselect : I definitively let behind the door the so malvelous aptitude.
Distro could be better granulary organised : compiled "on the fly" on the exact machine processor, i.e., not only a generic one and a package for each program or library inside distro, i.e., ls package, rm package, mv package, and so on.

OK, thanks for reading.
Best regards.

Nota : I'm in interest to read every critism of this, even insultive one if so because I came from french debian forum and that's its leimotiv way to live there. I do not prefer either if you can avoid it ! Laughing comments are permited :) !!! Thanks.

Randicus

Re: init-system-helpers crushed the calculator !

#2 Post by Randicus »

I'm in interest to read every critism of this
Few people will be willing to read a long and rambling essay, searching for relevant information. Write your posts with a structure: starting with a beginning and moving to an ending with only relevant information.

llivv

#3 Post by llivv »

I had a difficult time reading between the lines of your initial post.
Since your native tongue is French I'll give the best advice I can think of.

Install Debian Stable on your laptop.

Please, forget about compiling a kernel and all the other advanced administration tasks until you have a system that works correctly.
Than ask for help learning howto proceed with advanced tasks.

Best luck with your laptop.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Funkygoby

#4 Post by Funkygoby »

sriliam wrote:I'm in interest to read every critism of this, even insultive one if so because I came from french debian forum and that's its leimotiv way to live there.
Well as a french, I had a very hard time trying to understand your story. I am still wondering what was your point...
Speaking of one of the french debian forum, I agree that there are some members who are unpleasant (like anywhere else) but also many competent and good members. Usually, a newcomer who is respectful and make himself clear will get a warm welcome, otherwise, he will receive critisism just as you did. Like anywhere else...
Let's just say that every forum have their bad guys and good guys. Let's focus on the good guys...