Praise the open source community

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Praise the open source community

Postby DieM$Die » 2007-01-13 01:52

I am a relatively new linux user. I have just installed Etch on my AMD64 machine and am loving it totally.. I fooled around with a couple different distributions and finally settled on Ubuntu, so i thought.. today I installed etch from the NetInstall cd image and was pleasantly suprised at the ease of installation.
My goals are to learn the in's and outs of Linux like i've learned the out's and out's of windows over the years.. if only Micro____ was as well organized as the linux community, and willing to "keep" developing thier products, I wouldn't have been driven to look for a better solution..

Over the 15 years of using windows, I had developed a ritual-of-reinstallation.. Usually 4 times a year on average.. Through this I have developed a very keen M$ head to help others out with there problems. Unfortunately if it's bad I usually end up suggesting "format and reinstall" which seems to be pretty universal for there OS's after a few months.

The last straw which sent me looking for Linux distro's was after my last virus infection.. I did what I always do.. Backed up my files, formatted the hard drive(s) reinstalled from scratch. I get to the product registration screen only to be told "You Have installed this Product Too Many Times" please contact microsoft.... LOL This really pissed me off! (I bought this version in 2005 from "Best Buy", and have never shared it with anyone!) after purchasing numerous products starting from MS Dos 6 all the way through XP and every one in between.. I am tired of spending hard earned money on products that don't ever get any better..
I tried a while back to install RedHat when version 4 was new, and I failed miserably.. I was very happy to see the linux community had taken such broad steps in "user Freindliness" since those days long ago. Hats off to all the people who have been working on the various projects over the years..

Anyway, thats my rant

Jason
DieM$Die

Postby michael7 » 2007-01-13 02:39

Winduhs is for the lowest-common denominator. Debian Linux asks a little more from the user but it's worth it. The Free Software community is a much more vibrant, interesting group, too. Welcome.
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract
michael7

Postby Lavene » 2007-01-13 04:08

Welcome to Debain and our forums!

I threw out Windows completely (literally... I gave away all MS licences we had) more than two years ago and haven't looked back since. We have three computers in hour household and all of them are running Debian. :)

Tina
Lavene
Site admin

Postby ajdlinux » 2007-01-13 04:32

I've used Linux almost exclusively on my PC for about 2 or 3 years now. My family took my XP licence so unfortunately I can't chuck it, just convince them to use Debian!
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au
ajdlinux

Return to General Discussion