Repo mix-and-match hit parade

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: Repo mix-and-match hit parade

Postby thanatos_incarnate » 2016-01-11 14:40

golinux wrote:@thanatos_incarnate . . . could you please not format line breaks in your posts. It makes them very difficult to read.

Sorry. :oops:

EDIT: Starting another point here so as not to have 2 posts in a row...
What I find really curious are all those people who have obviously just installed Debian a few days ago on very recent hardware, but actually installed Wheezy and then are wondering why it's not running the latest Intel video card. I wonder how that happens. I mean, I'd understand installing Wheezy after realising that Jessie is too buggy, and I'd understand this maybe in server use. OTOH, I can't imagine that beginners who can't troubleshoot simple video card issues really know or care about the systemd debate. It just makes no sense to me, as all the default downloads link to Jessie images.
thanatos_incarnate

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2016-01-30 11:07

"Are you quite sure that all those bells and whistles, all those wonderful facilities of your so called powerful programming languages, belong to the solution set rather than the problem set?" — Edsger W. Dijkstra
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby mad-murdock » 2016-02-27 10:27

Thank you, dasein!

Just made an account to post this. Instead of having a productive morning, I spent 3 hours reading those posts. Lots of facepalms and giggles. I am entertained.

BTW: Is it das.ein or da.sein?
mad-murdock

Postby thanatos_incarnate » 2016-02-27 11:29

I always thought he was some sort of philosophy major and read it as "Dasein".
thanatos_incarnate

Postby mad-murdock » 2016-02-27 12:33

So after dasein being 5 years on this forum I am the first to ask about the deeper meaning of his name? Maybe I am wrong, and he doesn't understand a word of german.

Anyway, 2 hours later, and I am still entertained by this thread. It's a slow saturday, and I enjoy myself while reading this. Unfortunately I more or less reached the end.

Fun fact: I also ran into a FrankenDebian, when I freshly moved from Mint to LMDE and just copy-pasta the android-build-from-source-instructions including various apt-add-repository invocations. Only excuse: I did this many times before and had my brain switched off. Also those ppa adding finishes "without errors". Lol.

Well, I noticed early and just reinstalled. Without wasting your time on this very forum. Its so obvious, too.

Edit: I didn't install a vanilla Debian on any desktop box for ages. Just on servers. But spending so much time here makes me want to.
mad-murdock

Postby dasein » 2016-02-27 14:54

mad-murdock wrote:...I am the first to ask about the deeper meaning of his name?

Ask? Yes.

A native German speaker correctly sussed it out when I first joined. And a (I think) native Italian speaker recently guessed wrong.

But thanatos_incarnate is right (at least about the meaning, if not my academic training).

So yeah, da-sein (existence/presence), not das-ein (the one).

mad-murdock wrote:Anyway, 2 hours later, and I am still entertained by this thread.

Glad I could keep you entertained. :D

And if it saves a few motivated newbies from borking their system, then I am doubly pleased.
dasein

Postby dilberts_left_nut » 2017-05-02 09:04

Thread resurrection for another classic example - strange errors - what could possibly cause this ...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=132918
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...
dilberts_left_nut

Postby debiman » 2017-05-02 16:04

^ heh, i particularly liked the comment following his sources.list(s):

As i said i found a workaround, so this is now just a curiosity about what happened and why it worked before

so, it's still moving!
scaaarrryyyy!
debiman

Postby Gaius » 2017-09-11 01:49

millpond wrote:I believe apt has a utility for displaying package info, not sure about included files ....

The command is
Code: Select all
apt-file list [package]

You might need to install apt-file first.

apt-file will only work for packages located in configured repositories.
If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.
Albert Einstein
Gaius

Postby sunrat » 2017-09-21 21:53

Here's a doozy, mixing Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch and experimental!

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=134756
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Previous

Return to General Discussion