Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Repo mix-and-match hit parade

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
mad-murdock

Re: Repo mix-and-match hit parade

#76 Post by mad-murdock »

Thank you, dasein!

Just made an account to post this. Instead of having a productive morning, I spent 3 hours reading those posts. Lots of facepalms and giggles. I am entertained.

BTW: Is it das.ein or da.sein?

thanatos_incarnate

#77 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

I always thought he was some sort of philosophy major and read it as "Dasein".

mad-murdock

#78 Post by mad-murdock »

So after dasein being 5 years on this forum I am the first to ask about the deeper meaning of his name? Maybe I am wrong, and he doesn't understand a word of german.

Anyway, 2 hours later, and I am still entertained by this thread. It's a slow saturday, and I enjoy myself while reading this. Unfortunately I more or less reached the end.

Fun fact: I also ran into a FrankenDebian, when I freshly moved from Mint to LMDE and just copy-pasta the android-build-from-source-instructions including various apt-add-repository invocations. Only excuse: I did this many times before and had my brain switched off. Also those ppa adding finishes "without errors". Lol.

Well, I noticed early and just reinstalled. Without wasting your time on this very forum. Its so obvious, too.

Edit: I didn't install a vanilla Debian on any desktop box for ages. Just on servers. But spending so much time here makes me want to.

dasein

#79 Post by dasein »

mad-murdock wrote:...I am the first to ask about the deeper meaning of his name?
Ask? Yes.

A native German speaker correctly sussed it out when I first joined. And a (I think) native Italian speaker recently guessed wrong.

But thanatos_incarnate is right (at least about the meaning, if not my academic training).

So yeah, da-sein (existence/presence), not das-ein (the one).
mad-murdock wrote:Anyway, 2 hours later, and I am still entertained by this thread.
Glad I could keep you entertained. :D

And if it saves a few motivated newbies from borking their system, then I am doubly pleased.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#80 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Thread resurrection for another classic example - strange errors - what could possibly cause this ...

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=132918
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

debiman

#81 Post by debiman »

^ heh, i particularly liked the comment following his sources.list(s):
As i said i found a workaround, so this is now just a curiosity about what happened and why it worked before
so, it's still moving!
scaaarrryyyy!

Gaius

#82 Post by Gaius »

millpond wrote:I believe apt has a utility for displaying package info, not sure about included files ....
The command is

Code: Select all

apt-file list [package]
You might need to install apt-file first.

apt-file will only work for packages located in configured repositories.
If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.
Albert Einstein

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#83 Post by sunrat »

Here's a doozy, mixing Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch and experimental!

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=134756
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Wheelerof4te

#84 Post by Wheelerof4te »

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=137310
This was bound to happen:
bester69 wrote:My stable system has:
Ubuntu's kernel 4.4.125 (I always use ubuntu's kernel)
firmware-intel-sound (bpo)
inte-microcode (bpo)
mpv, libav-* (deb-multimedia)
kodi 17.6 (Zesty ubuntu)
EDIT: See the post below.
Last edited by Wheelerof4te on 2018-04-23 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

pylkko

#85 Post by pylkko »

I think it is wrong/inappropriate to put bester on this list for two reasons 1) he is in his own class entirely 2) he does it deliberately. I mean most people on this list either have no idea what they are doing or think that they can get away with mixing sources from here and there, then not knowing what code they are using from where, they end up tripping themselves and cry. Some of them even then try to cover up their doings so that it is not obvious that they themselves borked it. Bester on the other hand has said from the start that he wants to trip up himself and he for sure as crap does not cover up anything.

This thread is not about moralizing and telling people what they can or cannot do with their own system. It is about telling people who cry that if they don't know what they are doing then they should not be using their system in non-recommended way.

n_hologram

#86 Post by n_hologram »

bester has never made a ridiculous claim in his/her entire posting history.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

stevepusser

#87 Post by stevepusser »

n_hologram wrote:bester has never made a ridiculous claim in his/her entire posting history.
You, sir or madam, have a post waiting for you in our present administration!
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#88 Post by debiman »

pylkko wrote:I think it is wrong/inappropriate to put bester on this list for two reasons 1) he is in his own class entirely 2) he does it deliberately. I mean most people on this list either have no idea what they are doing or think that they can get away with mixing sources from here and there, then not knowing what code they are using from where, they end up tripping themselves and cry. Some of them even then try to cover up their doings so that it is not obvious that they themselves borked it. Bester on the other hand has said from the start that he wants to trip up himself and he for sure as crap does not cover up anything.
i think i seem to remember some older posts where s/he DID cry "Help me! I swear I did NOTHING!", but hard-learned their lesson after our replies (if you do this you are on your own) and stopped posting these sort of threads.
What worries me is that they might simply take these "Help me!" threads to another forum, knowing full well that here on fdn there's only one possible reaction.

Lysander

#89 Post by Lysander »

debiman wrote: What worries me is that they might simply take these "Help me!" threads to another forum, knowing full well that here on fdn there's only one possible reaction.
That is unavoidable. I have seen newbies post in the Mint forum [yes, Mint!] who, having been told to [quite justifiably] go back to Windows, traverse over to Linux Forums to whinge there.

I have also seen Debian sid promoted on various fora as a 'rolling release distro' and a great solution instead of, e.g., Ubuntu LTS. There is more misinformation out there than there are knowledgeable Debian users to quash it.

FDN is not as strict as it used to be. This place has a reputation for being rather hardline, strict and occasionally rude, but it has softened in recent months. As more of the old school posters switch distro or altogether disappear, a newer generation is eking its way in, one which either doesn't care for or comprehend the Debian Way. One which is not used to learning, but quick fixes. I'm not talking about bester, he's a 'special case': if FDN were Greenwich Palace, he would be the court jester.

golinux

#90 Post by golinux »

Lysander wrote:FDN is not as strict as it used to be. This place has a reputation for being rather hardline, strict and occasionally rude, but it has softened in recent months.
That would depend on your perspective. As per your post "One Year of Debian", you are rather new here. Things really started to go down hill around 2011. Other threads related to the decline are here. It was a huge schism and exodus from this forum. Then systemd further drove away knowledgeable users. This forum is now pretty much an empty shell . . . no offense to the few here doing their best to keep it alive.
May the FORK be with you!

n_hologram

#91 Post by n_hologram »

golinux wrote:That would depend on your perspective. As per your post "One Year of Debian", you are rather new here. Things really started to go down hill around 2011. Other threads related to the decline are here. It was a huge schism and exodus from this forum. Then systemd further drove away knowledgeable users. This forum is now pretty much an empty shell . . . no offense to the few here doing their best to keep it alive.
I thought this was an insightful takeaway from one of the links you shared:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 32#p384141
Troll wrote:...developers are targeting their applications at distros, rather Linux and its libraries...
On one hand, the quote summarizes this thread's topic: when one utilizes alien repos in lieu of compiling from source, bad things happen, because each distro makes changes in order to fit their project's particular needs. (edit:) Troll attributes this to "fragmentation," which I've seen defined several different ways; in this context, I think fragmentation can be best defined as "focusing on the specific distribution," and not as "[over]abundant choice." Choice, on the other hand, is the whole point of the Linux philosophy.
Distros also insist on modifying applications they ship - usually making them incompatible with the original
In addition, it's interesting to note that, six years ago, the issue of "software incompatibility for the sake of the distro" was discussed in great detail, and only now are we realizing its effects. What it leaves out is that 1) source codes are now requiring certain, undesirable software, due to the direction of major distros (eg, xfce and dbus); and 2) some source code can bypass features that distros leave enabled by default (eg, xfce and systemd). Both of those are two sides of the same issue, though: convenience over choice. It is admittedly a pain to compile any desktop environment from source; understandably, most people use something easier -- like a deb.

My hope is that Debian commits to software choice for the long haul, and continues to give users reasonable alternatives to undesirable programs (cough, systemd, cough), instead of taking the easy, albeit cohesive, route like other major distributions. I'll repeat ad nauseum that, if no one advocates for something, it will, eventually, be lost. If ever Debian abandons user choice, whether to imitate other projects or to maintain a "cohesive" distribution, I will abandon Debian. I hope that doesn't happen.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

Wheelerof4te

#92 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^That Troll guy had some good points, even then.
Who can be bothered sitting at a terminal interface digging away at config files every time they want to do something, seriously.. its 2011.
GUI's were created for user convenience. What would you rather do? Type tar xvf archive.tar /home/user/Desktop/ or *click click click*?
I know what I'd rather do. I have better things to do with my time than sitting at a 1970's terminal interface.
This. After 7 years, a little has changed, and we still have that "do-it-the-hard-way" mindset. Thats why Ubuntu is still the most popular distro, even though it's inferior choice on a technical level than Debian.
What it does well, is attracting noobs, those newbies who would like to try Linux.
I would like to make another thread for this, though.

n_hologram

#93 Post by n_hologram »

Wheelerof4te wrote:I would like to make another thread for this, though.
That's probably a good idea, since this thread is about repomixing.

debiman

#94 Post by debiman »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^That Troll guy had some good points, even then.
Who can be bothered sitting at a terminal interface digging away at config files every time they want to do something, seriously.. its 2011.
oh, really?
i bet they already said that in 2004, nay, 1999, and every year since.
and will continue to do so until the end of time.
only teenagers talk like that, for whom any timespan that reaches beyond either edge of their puberty is incomprehensible.

it's also an incorrect and deliberately polarizing statement.
incorrect because editing config files is often a very effective way to ..., erm, configure things, which usually has the effect that you do it once, and no more after that.
polarizing because one can very well also use a graphical editor to manually edit config files. it's not "All CLI" or "All GUI".
GUI's were created for user convenience. What would you rather do? Type tar xvf archive.tar /home/user/Desktop/ or *click click click*?
I know what I'd rather do. I have better things to do with my time than sitting at a 1970's terminal interface.
This. After 7 years, a little has changed, and we still have that "do-it-the-hard-way" mindset.[/quote]
wrong, wrong, wrong.
this has nothing to do with masochism, or being backward.
i have a gui filemanager, and use it a lot, but after i half managed tab completion and a few very basic shell features, i more and more often open the terminal instead because it's just faster for a particular task.
more precise.
ad-hoc scripting, not yet-another-batch-gui-utility-plugin-installing.

Lysander

#95 Post by Lysander »

golinux wrote:That would depend on your perspective. As per your post "One Year of Debian", you are rather new here.
Not only that, I seem to be echoing the sentiments of those from many years back who were also rather new here at that time.
golinux wrote:Things really started to go down hill around 2011. Other threads related to the decline are here. It was a huge schism and exodus from this forum. Then systemd further drove away knowledgeable users. This forum is now pretty much an empty shell . . . no offense to the few here doing their best to keep it alive.
What this shows, more than anything else, is that complaints relating to the decline of forum X are commonplace on the internet. Forums have their heyday, most notably recognisable by quality of information posted, knowledge of posters, rate of post turnover and helpfulness and efficiency of responses. But more than this, what makes any forum great is the extent to which the forum content fulfills that forum's raison d'etre. In my experience, internet forums tend to have what is generally regarded as one - and one only - peak period of indeterminate length after which its decline starts, and subsequently it will be difficult - if ever possible - for a similar state to be reached again.

The reasons for this could be hyposthesised via an unquantifiable combination of causes which include, but are not limited to, new trends; new social/societal attitudes; displacement of interests; changing belief systems and moralities; the superceding of outmoded concepts; lack of novelty; lack of originality; personal/professional commitments and the often uncontrollable influence of other extenuating factors which can change the forum's original focal cause permanently. It doesn't matter if the forum is FDN or 4chan - once some of these factors come into play which immeasurably distort the main cause which the forum was originally set up to support, users will forever lament that forum's better days. For the newer posters these can be counted in months, whereas the longer-acquainted can count them in years.