Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HP and Linux

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
rosswmcgee

HP and Linux

#1 Post by rosswmcgee »

The Machine's claim to fame is that it can process loads of information instantly while using hardly any power. HP wants this computer to replace the servers being used in today's data centers. But it also hopes the tech will become the basis for the next generation of PCs.

And The Machine will not use Windows.

In fact Fink announced on Thursday that the company is working on a brand new free and open-source operating system and is inviting universities to help research and build it.

He threw in a little dig at Microsoft when announcing the news, saying:

"We want to reignite in all of our universities around the world operating system research which we think has been dormant or stagnant for decades."

On top of that, HP is working on a brand new operating system for The Machine based on Linux. And another one based on Android, Fink continued:

"We are, as part of The Machine, announcing our intent to build a new operating system all open source from the ground up, optimized for non-volatile memory systems.

We also have a team that's starting from a Linux environment and stripping out all the bits we don't need. So that way you maintain ... compatibility for apps.

What if we build a version of Android? ... We have a team that's doing that, too."

anastasis

Re: HP and Linux

#2 Post by anastasis »

Man, that is nearly unbelievable coming from HP.

Seriously?

The same HP that has been having an affair with NVidia?

The same HP that thought Turion was the route to all beneficence?

The same HP who has been MSs servitor?

The same HP that makes me drink more beer when installing Debian after wiping Windows Vista?

My goodness... I'm speechless. :|
"He might be a German, but he ain't no Einstein."

esp7

Re: HP and Linux

#3 Post by esp7 »

HP, the company which kicked out 50% of its linux kernel engineers last year? :shock:
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned