Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Latest Wheezy updates to "7.6"

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Linadian

Latest Wheezy updates to "7.6"

#1 Post by Linadian »

Anybody have any info on this? I can't seem to find any, or am I looking too early?
No real concerns or problems, just curious.
Linux Registered User 533946

Eireannach

Re: Latest Wheezy updates to "7.6"

#2 Post by Eireannach »

Linadian

#4 Post by Linadian »

Thank you ever so much for your quick replies, they are both very helpful. I guess I was just looking in the wrong place...and my search engine (NOT g00gle, hate g00gle, don't use it, *cough* NSA *cough*) sucks, lol. :wink: :lol:

Edit: Wow, that's a long read, very relieving to see lots of kind people have our backs. :D

keithpeter

#5 Post by keithpeter »

Hello all, useful thread.

The 7.6.0 page is up on Debian's cdimage server

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.6.0/i386/iso-dvd/

and I am now able (1:25 pm UK Sunday) to download the update DVD, debian-update-7.6.0-i386-DVD-1.iso

The FAQ about the update DVD isn't so clear, it seems to be talking about small third place updates. Does that DVD update any DVD set from 7.0.0 onward or does it just go from 7.5.0 to 7.6.0?

I have an interest in 'off grid' use of Debian by just having the DVDs in the sources.list file, no online repositories. On a slooooooooww Internet connection the risk strikes me as small. I'd like to see what happens with an update DVD.

Linadian

#6 Post by Linadian »

keithpeter wrote:Hello all, useful thread.

The 7.6.0 page is up on Debian's cdimage server

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.6.0/i386/iso-dvd/

and I am now able (1:25 pm UK Sunday) to download the update DVD, debian-update-7.6.0-i386-DVD-1.iso

The FAQ about the update DVD isn't so clear, it seems to be talking about small third place updates. Does that DVD update any DVD set from 7.0.0 onward or does it just go from 7.5.0 to 7.6.0?

I have an interest in 'off grid' use of Debian by just having the DVDs in the sources.list file, no online repositories. On a slooooooooww Internet connection the risk strikes me as small. I'd like to see what happens with an update DVD.
Yes, the 2 update disks would bring any installed Wheezy version up to 7.6, or used in combination with old install disks, see below.

I had a big verbose explanation and alternatives typed out and then I realized I'm full of $#1+, lol. Basically, the update disks are just that, to update an existing installed system, the other three 7.6 DVDs are for a fresh install on any system, with or without an internet connection. You could still use an old Wheezy DVD set to install a base system, then use the update DVDs afterwards to bring it up to 'speed'. That would involve adding every DVD to Synaptic as a 'repo' so it will pick and install the highest versions (usually set by default), that's a lot of disk jockeying, lol.

Edit: even with a slow internet connection, it would take a lot less time and bandwidth to just update an already installed system.

keithpeter

#7 Post by keithpeter »

Linadian wrote:Basically, the update disks are just that, to update an existing installed system, the other three 7.6 DVDs are for a fresh install on any system, with or without an internet connection. You could still use an old Wheezy DVD set to install a base system, then use the update DVDs afterwards to bring it up to 'speed'. That would involve adding every DVD to Synaptic as a 'repo' so it will pick and install the highest versions (usually set by default), that's a lot of disk jockeying, lol.
Thanks Linadian, that is exactly what I'm doing, see links in sig. Would prefer 'deltas' from one point release to another but that is show business.
Linadian wrote:Edit: even with a slow internet connection, it would take a lot less time and bandwidth to just update an already installed system.
Don't underestimate the bandwidth of a jiffybag with a DVD in it :twisted:

Seriously, there are still around about 10,000 people in the UK who can only get dial up. No adsl, no fibre, no mobile phone signal. Imagine other places that are more remote...

confuseling

#8 Post by confuseling »

The update ISOs are deltas for the images (not bytewise as far as I know, but still deltas in principle).

And you can use debdelta to upgrade a running system.

[edit - ah, sorry keithpeter, just reread your post and realised what you meant. Ignore me... :-) ]
Last edited by confuseling on 2014-07-13 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

Linadian

#9 Post by Linadian »

Forgot to mention, this applies to a 'stock' Wheezy system, any customization, i.e. mixing repo levels, backports, dmo, PPAs, manually downloaded and installed .deb files, etc, may cause problems and would have to be dealt with on a case by case basis (uninstalled, downgraded, etc), mostly version, dependency and compatibility issues, just sayin'.

Linadian

#10 Post by Linadian »

keithpeter wrote:Don't underestimate the bandwidth of a jiffybag with a DVD in it :twisted:
Huh? I don't know what that means but it sounds kinda funny, must be a British thing, lol. :wink: :shock: :D Nevermind, I just searched "jiffybag", I get it now, good point.
keithpeter wrote:Seriously, there are still around about 10,000 people in the UK who can only get dial up. No adsl, no fibre, no mobile phone signal. Imagine other places that are more remote...
I believe you, and I find it kind of ironic from a country that espouses itself as the originators of the industrial revolution, blame that on your politicians too busy being vacuously verbose to actually get anything done, oddly enough, the government here is working on fixing that very problem, but then again they are pandering to the redneck rural pro-life religious nut-job gun-toting vote, but I'm seriously digressing, lol. :shock: :D
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-07-13 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

keithpeter

#11 Post by keithpeter »

Linadian wrote:Forgot to mention, this applies to a 'stock' Wheezy system, any customization, i.e. mixing repo levels, backports, dmo, PPAs, manually downloaded and installed .deb files, etc, may cause problems and would have to be dealt with on a case by case basis (uninstalled, downgraded, etc), mostly version, dependency and compatibility issues, just sayin'.
Yup. The only 'customisation' over stock Wheezy is iwlwifi firmware, which has very few dependencies, and those it has are core libraries. No flash, no backports.

Linadian

#12 Post by Linadian »

keithpeter wrote:No flash, no backports.
Shhhhhhhhhhh...I have stable bpo and stable dmo enabled but not pinned and everything works fine, anybody else reading this, NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG, lol. :shock: :lol:

Linadian

#13 Post by Linadian »

APTonCD is a useful tool, especially for somebody like me with slight customization. I have yet to try a total system install creation tool. Anybody done this? What did you use?

@keithpeter...now you have me on backup kick in the event of system failure and no internet connection, can't never be too prepared. "Only the paranoid survive" (Andrew Grove). :oops: :shock: :? :wink: :D

Edit: @keithpeter...some of my posts are tainted with sarcastic humour, I hope you're not taking them the wrong way, I seriously mean no harm, just being my goofy self. :?

keithpeter

#14 Post by keithpeter »

Linadian wrote:Edit: @keithpeter...some of my posts are tainted with sarcastic humour, I hope you're not taking them the wrong way, I seriously mean no harm, just being my goofy self. :?
I have worked as a maths teacher for 30 years. I don't offend easily :twisted:

AptOnCD, apt-offline and that thing in Synaptic where it will generate a list of packages that you can download somewhere else and bring back and install with dpkg are all interesting possible solutions for the scenario where someone has either no Internet or very expensive Internet at base but ocasionally gets to a fast cheap or free connection. I might clonezilla a clean 7.5.0 install and try each one of these in turn.

Right now, I'm just wondering what the actual risk factor is for a laptop that has a Debian installation from a point release DVD set and that is then updated only on the next point release, usually three or four months later. I'm guessing the risk is mitigated by the (possibly) low bandwidth/very intermittent Internet connection.

Linadian

#15 Post by Linadian »

keithpeter wrote: :twisted:
It's those insane looking smileys you use, they make you appear angry, lol, that's why they're called "emoticons", emotion+icon. :wink: :P :lol: :shock:

Anyway, I have an idea, it's probably retarded but here goes...is there any coffee shops with wifi close to you? Does the lappy have wifi? Sit and have a brew while you update on somebody else's bandwidth, lol. :wink:

keithpeter

#16 Post by keithpeter »

Linadian wrote:Anyway, I have an idea, it's probably retarded but here goes...is there any coffee shops with wifi close to you? Does the lappy have wifi? Sit and have a brew while you update on somebody else's bandwidth, lol. :wink:
Oh, yes, in reality there is an arts centre down the road that is good for 8 mbits/sec with no authentication, just one of those landing pages when you start the browser where you agree to be good. The local independent coffee shop has around 4 mbits/sec reliably (and the coffee is good).

But suppose you were up a creek somewhere a week away from the nearest wifi. Yes, you *could* just upgrade whenever you were in town. But as soon as your installed packages diverge from what is on the DVDs, should you need to install an obscure package one night back at the ranch, you just might run into a dependency problem ("foobar needs libwobble47.1 but libwobble 46.9 is installed"). See where I'm going?

So for a few months I'm staying in this time capsule. Just updated a fresh 7.5.0 install to 7.6.0 using the update DVDs using Synaptic. 61 packages.

PS :twisted: is happy. :evil: is mad