Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
mor

Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

#161 Post by mor »

mardybear wrote:A post that, in your opinion, goes too far should be reported. Unfortunately there is no sheriff in town. Most forums any member who willingly and repeatedly disrupts conversation or obviously crosses the line gets banned.
I understand why you came to that conclusion, but the "reporting" I spoke of is not intended to be a policing course of action inside a particular forum.
I am actually against any type of censorship, and I think that in any forum, beside obvious spam, pretty much nothing should ever be deleted or taken down.

No, what I meant is basically doing what I am doing, which is to call for a mature way of debating. I'm suggesting and asking to all the systemd detractors (but indirectly and hopefully implicitly, also to the systemd supporters, although we can't say they are making the same amount of noise, for obvious reasons of course) to quit with the antics and argue seriously.
More importantly, and that's where the reporting thing may have gotten confusing, I'm suggesting and asking the already serious systemd detractors to huddle up, look around and tell the bad apples in their midst to get their act together because they are making the serious ones look just as fanatical.

So if you think about it, what I'm all about in this discussion is really nothing that relates to systemd specifically, but it is more a general invitation to "good arguing". Take all my posts, substitute systemd with any other topic and they should be just as relevant.

Bye :)

golinux

#162 Post by golinux »

mor . . .your avatar suits you well in an generic, pontificating sort of way. Have you ever considered that brevity is a virtue?
May the FORK be with you!

mor

#163 Post by mor »

I have and, alas, I struggle to keep things short.

On one hand there is the fact that I like to be exhaustive, which coupled with the fact that I feel obligated to respond to each and every point (which I'm forcing more and more not to do), always initiates an exponential enlargement of my replies. On the other hand there is what I guess is probably an insecurity about being able to let others understand the nuances of what I say, which causes me to stretch my thoughts a lot and, incidentally, make my points less likely to come across.

But I am aware of the problem and I do work on it. If you are careful, you may notice that on occasions, even regardless of how long my posts turn out to be, I am less dispersive and much more to the point.

As for the avatar, and I know you know exactly what it is, I think it has given me more hassles than the mere enjoyment of a silly outfit for RMS.
A change is in order. ;)

Bye

Linadian

#164 Post by Linadian »

You make me laugh, what good is debate now?! Systemd is not some private, part-time project by a lone developer, its developer and development are paid for by a corporation who's goal is to be the main supplier and tech support to anybody not using Microsoft or Apple, etc. This is the same as when Microsoft decided to allow updates to pirate copies of Windows, even illicit adoption is better than no adoption at all. The buggy, secretive beta bloatware Trojan is in the castle already, no amount of debate will get it to leave unless a huge exploit or (on purpose) backdoor(s) are discovered. In the meantime, put those flowers back in your hair, go back to San Francisco and drop your acid, I smell a hippie. Ironically hippie no longer stands for hip, now it means hypocrite. :roll: :lol:

You're not a politician and you don't own Debian, it's not your job to talk people in to swallowing bitter poison pill(s) or to calm them down, you're a joke.
Linux Registered User 533946

deltaflyer

#165 Post by deltaflyer »

Ladies/Gentlemen. may i point out that personal attacks may be construed as cyber-bullying and steps may have to be taken.i do not point the finger specifically,but,please keep in mind, the forum rules.i will be monitoring this "debate" to ensure it stays civil
free your computer,use opensource

buntunub

#166 Post by buntunub »

Can someone help me out here? I read the thread topic and it says, "How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?". The last bunch of pages have nothing to do with that. This actually should have been a one page thread or less if we are talking about a technical issue. If this is another systemd rant thread, then I think the topic is very misleading and generally irritating to read through all this when I just want to know how to avoid stealth installation of systemd..

Ardouos

#167 Post by Ardouos »

There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Linadian

#168 Post by Linadian »

Agreed, it would seem installing Jessie then blocking future systemd infestation will only cause problems because of DE/app dependencies. I read a quote recently, "Debian capitulated to systemd because they didn't have the resources (willing developers) to remove systemd tentacles from source packages and maintain their repos as such", seems to ring true to a degree.

Wheezy is the last non-Redhat version of Debian.
Linux Registered User 533946