Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Default Jessie DE to be Gnome3?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
n_hologram

Re: Default Jessie DE to be Gnome3?

#21 Post by n_hologram »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2691192/ ... users.html
Well, if you haven’t tried it in a while, GNOME 3 has improved. Performance is now good. Debian just switched back to GNOME as their default desktop, partly because its accessibility and systemd integration was better than Xfce’s, but the interface has improved enough to make those considerations possible.
Anyone else get a chuckle?
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Danielsan

#22 Post by Danielsan »

yzT wrote:IMO, until XFCE doesn't natively implement expose/scale features it's a step backward.

And don't tell me about skippy-xd and brightside...
Once time ago you could use compiz instead xfwm4 as windows manager and having all these features, I think you can use at the same way Mutter or kwin. Xwfm4 overall is a good windows manager, sure, lacks of some features but I think they are in the way.
Gnome 3 started very bad maybe now is surely better than before, I am in disagree with a lot of choices about Gnome 3 Designer, the whole Gnome ecosystem are forced every all of us to accept some news, the strong connection with Systemd appear how something well planned to force using Gnome and vice versa. About other technical issue Gnome 3 without Opengl acceleration starts the session in "fallback/classic mode" which are worst than Xfce4 environment, so definitely I would prefer keeping Xfce4 as default environment It would be an impulse for this DE to introduce news features earlier than the normal developing cycle.

buntunub

#23 Post by buntunub »

Danielsan wrote: the strong connection with Systemd appear how something well planned to force using Gnome and vice versa.
That is exactly the point. Kudo's to you.

The reason they moved away from supporting a different DE for Jessie is because there is a lack of support and too infrequent maintenance patches. Apparently, w/e DE they want to go with must have a crapload of maintainers. This is probably also why they moved away from KDE. All a bunch of pointless nonsense.

The real point of all this is Systemd. Welcome to the new world of Windows.. I mean Linux.

jsalpha2

#24 Post by jsalpha2 »

Maybe we could follow Ubuntu's lead and have L-Debian, X-Debian, Unity-Debian, Gnome-Debian, Mate-Debian, Cinnamon-Debian and a few others! :D
Why have a default at all?

Just kidding.

Danielsan

#25 Post by Danielsan »

buntunub wrote:
Danielsan wrote: the strong connection with Systemd appear how something well planned to force using Gnome and vice versa.
That is exactly the point. Kudo's to you.

Well but behind Gnome, behind systemd, behind Poetterin there is RedHat, is there maybe any connection to help RedHat to gain more space in the server market?

At least in the floss universe it's easy change something old with something new, probably that is the destiny of systemd.

exploder

#26 Post by exploder »

I do not mind Gnome 3 at all. I only have sight in one eye and when my implant had to be surgically removed Gnome's accessibility features sure came in handy. I can see again now but it's nice to have those options available! Try using KDE with 20/300 vision, it's impossible...

praka123

#27 Post by praka123 »

why systemd is forced? last I was searching for sysVinit replacements, there were projects like init-ng, upstart etc. so, all they died? I was wondering whether Linux in future means either Cannonical or RedHat.
Debian (Testing/Unstable)

pfnuesel

#28 Post by pfnuesel »

Compared to most what I've read, my criticism against Gnome3 was rather on the mild side. Still I switched to Xfce, even back then, when Gnome2 was the default DE. I was happy to read that Xfce was becoming the default DE for Jessie, since I believe default DE means more users, more bug reports, more developers and eventually more stability and/or features. Installing a new system today, I was surprised to find Gnome3 to be the default. I'm glad the installer told me that, because I didn't even check! In the beginning I thought about giving Gnome3 another chance. Now that I've read your opinions (and others), I won't. But I'm having troubles following your discussion. Can anyone provide me with a (not too technical) link about systemd and why we should care? Quotes like "Linux may be headed towards uselessness as a server operating system" make me shiver!

golinux

#29 Post by golinux »

pfnuesel wrote:Can anyone provide me with a (not too technical) link about systemd and why we should care?
http://lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/ker ... 02496.html
May the FORK be with you!

keithpeter

#30 Post by keithpeter »

golinux wrote:
pfnuesel wrote:Can anyone provide me with a (not too technical) link about systemd and why we should care?
http://lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/ker ... 02496.html
Does anyone know what Christopher Barry's desktop is like?

I'm quite serious. How does this guy work without dbus, ConsoleKit, all the power manager stuff, let alone systemd? Does he use a laptop at all?

The only thing I can find is his github account that has a 256 colour terminal config and emacs.d for setting up emacs, so I imagine he is pretty minimal.

confuseling

#31 Post by confuseling »

pfnuefind wrote:...Can anyone provide me with a (not too technical) link about systemd and why we should care? Quotes like "Linux may be headed towards uselessness as a server operating system" make me shiver!
Basically for the vast majority of users it's unlikely to make any significant difference to anything, beyond changing the incantations you use to start / stop services etc.

The distros have voted with their feet - Fedora (obviously, being RedHat), SuSE, Arch among others have switched, without any apparent exodus of developers or users. There will be bugs, as with any new software, but the sysadmins I've read in the majority find it makes things easier, even if many are instinctively wary. For distributors it looks set to be a massive gain - software becomes more portable, not least because init scripts are a thing of the past.

At this stage I think you can tell generally how well founded a person's opinions on it are precisely by how histrionic they are... The vast majority of *actual sysadmins and programmers* don't seem to be writing mailing list posts about systemd being your One True God whether you like it or not. They've long since stopped listening to any conversion on the subject, and are just getting on with whatever they're doing. Beyond a certain point of hysteria basically nobody without an axe to grind sees any point in staying in the debate.

A few quotes from Joey Hess' blog sum it up fairly well: essentially either it turns out to be the right decision, and we keep using it, or it doesn't... and we don't.

https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/on_leaving/
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

schnuller

#32 Post by schnuller »

confuseling wrote:
pfnuefind wrote:...Can anyone provide me with a (not too technical) link about systemd and why we should care? Quotes like "Linux may be headed towards uselessness as a server operating system" make me shiver!
Basically for the vast majority of users it's unlikely to make any significant difference to anything, beyond changing the incantations you use to start / stop services etc.
That is pretty much all one needs to know about the subject.