Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What should we do about systemd?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What should we do about systemd?

Poll ended at 2014-11-26 08:34

a) give up Debian to use another distribution which respects the *nix tradition
24%
b) concentrate on systemd's fork (uselessd) to port it to Debian
11%
c) use sysvinit (INIT) irrespective of its limitations with respect to modern software requirements
16%
d) use another initialisation system like runit
6%
e) accept systemd and continue using Debian
43%

Total votes: 87

edbarx

Re: What should we do about systemd?

#76 Post by edbarx »

Although I need to know how to place files where I decide to, I did my first test today by manually installing my modified INIT system. However, although placed in a different location with its configuration under its nose, init was able to use the normal configuration found under /etc although I changed some crucial paths in the source code (paths.h).

How stupid I must be, I must also edit the inittab file to use the new hidden configuration! :shock:

Note:
My approach is to create a microsystem within the installation, so that, the package management system, would be unable to overwrite my customized version of init.

Added Later:
Since I had to modify some of init's code, I will test it in gdb to ensure it uses the designated files in the microsystem.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

buntunub

Re: Re:

#77 Post by buntunub »

keithpeter wrote: Perhaps this is the central issue? For Mr (Dr?) Poettering, a younger man, this is a career delivering value for his employer. Not a social mission. Times change.
That is exactly the point. Some people, VERY rarely, have the chutspa to stick with their values over money and livelihood. This is so rare in the entire human races existence that we have called these people, "heroes". We do not have any of those in the Linux world right now other than arguably, RMS. Right now at this exact moment in time, WE NEED ONE!

This is a turning point moment for the Linux world. Everyone, and I do truly mean everyone who has been a part of the FOSS community will be affected by this. There is no sitting the fence on this one. Trying to lay low in this fight just means that you are agreeing to how Debian is doing this thing with Systemd, and you are agreeing to everything that Systemd represents. This is a "do or die moment" for Linux. Pick your side and get active.

I do think some, probably most, people who use other Distros may think this fight does not concern them. YOU COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG! Think about the immensity that is Debian. Consider what you use today in XYZ distro probably derived from Debian if you use a Debian derivative, or was influenced by Debian in one way or another if you use an RPM or source based distro. Also consider that the Systemd proponents are proudly touting about that their domination is now complete now that Debian has jumped aboard the slave wagon. They are using this to strongarm every Distro, and it really bears weight to their words because Debian has always been the most trusted Distro for a very good reason, up until now, that is.

blarney

#78 Post by blarney »

I'll be switching to Slackware once Jessie becomes stable and if slackware becomes infested I'll be off to PcBSD. Have tested both and am happy that they will be able to meet my needs. The default gui of both is KDE which is my favourite anyway, so I'll be fine.

As just an ordinary user I'd like to say goodbye Debian and thanks for all the fish.
Debian Wheezy KDE on everything.

mmix

#79 Post by mmix »

how about to replace dbus/systemd with android binder?
in gentoo forum, someone point dbus and kdbus,
http://kroah.com/log/blog/2014/01/15/kdbus-details/

--
PS: here is advantage of using android binder
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7469 ... in-android
A) All filesystem-based or filesystem-representable IPC mechanisms (notably pipes), can't be used because of a lack of a world-writable directory, where all processes can mkfifo/create the filesystem/socket representation of their IPC port (/dev/socket notwithstanding, which is used for system processes, e.g. rile, zygote, and their ilk).

B) None of the suggested mechanisms have the capability of "service location" which is required for Android. In UNIX, there's an RPC portmapper, and Android needs similar functionality. Enter: The ServiceManager, which can use binder to register as a context manager, to register/lookup service handles on the fly

C) There is an extensive need for serialization - be it intents, or other messages. Binder provides the parcel abstraction, which can be used for data marshaling by the Parcel.java.

D) SysV has other issues than Mr. Lambada's answer which are more paramount, notably race conditions, and lack of authorization.

E) Message queues and pipes can't pass descriptors. UNIX Domain sockets may, but can't be used because of (A) (again, unless you're root/system, like zygote, rild, installd..)

F) Binder is really lightweight, and has built-in authorization mechanisms. It also has nifty features like waking up the recipient process, as well as memory sharing, which the other mechanisms simply don't have. (and remember, no mmap(2), because of the file problem in (A) for named mappings).

and - let's not forget

G) Binder was started at Palm (ah, nostalgia) (q.v. OpenBinder). Ex-palmers got to Android, and brought their code in with them.

edbarx

#80 Post by edbarx »

At the moment, I am modifying sysvinit to move it to a dedicated directory in the root directory where I will place all files related to it. It is this what I am understanding by a "microsystem". However, I have and I am still in the process of editing all scripts in /etc/init.d and /sbin/init itself. I verified that my edits have been compiled into /sbin/init using a hex editor.

People here are discouraged and I don't blame them. Yesterday, I continued into my hacking, yes hacking in its true and purest meaning as contrasted to cracking, to continue with my source edits. I also performed successfully my first boot with the new isolated sysvinit, although there are still many shell scripts missing.

I will make my utmost to bring Debian to those who want to use sysvinit, as the more I work with it, the more I understand why the "greybeards" are so upset with the forceful adoption of systemd. sysvinit trusts its users, because it allows them to change the way it works thanks to shell scripts.

Hopefully, my health permits me to continue with this endeavour.

dasein

#81 Post by dasein »

edbarx wrote:...sysvinit trusts its users...
Eloquently put.

edbarx

#82 Post by edbarx »

I installed bashdb to debug the modified shell scripts after I edited some paths that needed editing to reflect my changes. Next step is to debug them.

In case the 'new' kernel Debian developers decide to make life harder for those who do not want systemd, there are still other options to use other Linux kernels from distributions that will continue to respect the users' ability to manage their system.

People, having the source open and free to modify, will help us continue to coexist with those who see things differently. CHOICE is sacrosanct, let us join our efforts to conserve it, while respecting those who differ from us.

EDIT 1:
Booting SID with the modified sysvinit, there are still some init.d shell scripts failing, but the system can boot and shutdown. I was also able to log into XFCE4 although that needs more script debugging to be useable. I will now test whether it can boot in single user mode (maintenance mode).

My debugging work is indicating there is another script which can be the cause of failure. The script is reporting "Access Denied".

EDIT 2:
I am posting this, EDIT 2, using my modified sysvinit from within XFCE4. This is corroborating my impression, that I may be able to fork my own version of Debian, and at the same time, refrain from running systemd.

Note that even if the DDs decide to force systemd without choice, this installation of sysvinit will not be affected, as it is completely isolated from the system.

Now comes the joy of installing systemd to test whether I can bypass it and still get a functional system. If this proves to be within my abilities, I will maintain my own fork of Debian. :mrgreen: :twisted:

twoflowers

#83 Post by twoflowers »

This looks good :)

BTW, alarmclock in systemd ... or how to replace cron by somthing much more complicated:
https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/a_program ... g_systemd/

fruitofloom

#84 Post by fruitofloom »

twoflowers wrote:This looks good :)

BTW, alarmclock in systemd ... or how to replace cron by somthing much more complicated:
People who are on dial-up and who want their email be downloaded before they wake will switch to systemd.

All 42 of them.
Give me convenience or give me death.

Linadian

#85 Post by Linadian »

fruitofloom wrote:
twoflowers wrote:This looks good :)

People who are on dial-up and who want their email be downloaded before they wake will switch to systemd.

All 42 of them.
Now that's a knee slapper, lol. :lol:

At the time of this post, 34 against/something other than virusd and 32 for its implementation. Judging by the results, approximately 25% of Debian users will be jumping ship, that's a quarter of the user base. Salix 14.1 Xfce is fantastic btw, you should check it out, I'm having a blast with it on my old machine, givin the 'ol tires a kick, it's quickly becoming a solid candidate to install on my main/new machine.
Linux Registered User 533946

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#86 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Linadian wrote: At the time of this post, 34 against/something other than virusd and 32 for its implementation. Judging by the results, approximately 25% of Debian users will be jumping ship, that's a quarter of the user base.
Really?
Looks like (almost) 25% of respondents to THIS poll on THIS forum profess to be considering leaving Debian.
I would be very surprised if that is representative of the Debian user base as a whole.

For mine, the Debian project gets the benefit of the doubt, based on past experience, and I remain to be convinced that the world is coming to an end.

As always, new releases will get extensive testing prior to migration of my servers, but I'm not expecting a whole lot of drama from the stable upgrades.

FWIW, my sid install on my laptop is running as well as ever.

And, again FWIW, I don't get a choice of which glibc to use either - along with pretty much every other linux, Debian has "forced libc6 down my throat". I wonder if Ulrich Drepper is an arrogant prick?

edit: I hope you're not using ReiserFS :)
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

reinob

#87 Post by reinob »

@dilberts_left_nut,

Why isn't there a "thank you" button here?
Anyway. Thank you. +1 for each line you wrote.

mmix

#88 Post by mmix »

whether you are innocent ppl in $-oriented crowd or not,
that's not the point, sooner or later, the mammon will kick your ass with another "systemd".
i would say this is just start to declare war against FOSS world, if you ask me.

NkfzGx3ok

#89 Post by NkfzGx3ok »

dilberts_left_nut wrote: And, again FWIW, I don't get a choice of which glibc to use either - along with pretty much every other linux, Debian has "forced libc6 down my throat"
Same with GCC, a hackjob got a monopoly since the beginning of time but I don't get to choose a Linux system built fully with ICC or LLVM/CLang with musl as libc. Init systems are the least of our worries when it comes to choice.

OT;;
Saying that I ran systemd since decemeber 2010, packaging from git on my personal desktop for about 2 years on a distro I helped maintain at the time and at work our Gentoo machines run systemd since mid 2011 and our Fedora clients (just short of 200 installs at construction computer lab) have been running it since easter 2011 too and it's been quite nice really. Reading all the hoo-ha these days is quite strange to me since I have been using systemd for so long it is actually the norm to the point I only started trying out Debian again a few weeks ago (last time was around 2007) since it was getting serious work on systemd being a first class citizen.

Cheers, Nik.

keithpeter

#90 Post by keithpeter »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:For mine, the Debian project gets the benefit of the doubt, based on past experience, and I remain to be convinced that the world is coming to an end.

As always, new releases will get extensive testing prior to migration of my servers, but I'm not expecting a whole lot of drama from the stable upgrades.

Well, of course Jessie will be fine, and the systemd 'middleware' will run smoothly. Red Hat have bet the farm on systemd just working for the workloads they support, and, as you say that awesome army of volunteer devs that Debian has will keep hammering the bugs out.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2 ... 00281.html

Above is an email by one of the Debian devs with a thoughtful take on Joey's alarm clock and the possible limits of systemd like systems. It is the 'leading edge' that might be constrained by the *exclusive* use of large and highly integrated middleware layers. Debian is providing *more* options than just about any other distribution with the exception of Gentoo.

fruitofloom

#91 Post by fruitofloom »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
Linadian wrote: At the time of this post, 34 against/something other than virusd and 32 for its implementation. Judging by the results, approximately 25% of Debian users will be jumping ship, that's a quarter of the user base.
Really?
Looks like (almost) 25% of respondents to THIS poll on THIS forum profess to be considering leaving Debian.
I would be very surprised if that is representative of the Debian user base as a whole.
Of course it is impossible to prove how many will leave due to systemd.
For many reasons (one being that people might leave, but others might join).

But if one is looking at forums and mailing lists and IRC channels of all kind, then it looks a lot as if it would be quite a few who leave Debian (or are planning to leave it in the future).
For example look out for: "Hi there, ex-Debian user, got a short question ..."
Another example, look at debian IRC channels. "Dead" is an exaggeration.

What matters more is the quality, not the quantity of the people who will leave (have left already).
Looking at that, any communication channel you want, .... oh my ****** god. What the heck has happened to Debian? Is it a social network now?

At the end of the day the only thing which matters to me is what i am doing (in this case: what i have done).

Short version: From what i read to me it looks as if 25% leaving sounds possible. Make it 15 % or 30%, if it makes you happy.

------------
Mine too. All of them (until i replaced them with other OS'es, of course)
That is not the point.
"Hey, folks, there is one user to be found where package xyz works, in Sid. Let's make it default for Debian stable and remove all alternatives"
That is the Debian way of doing things? Really ?

--------------------
And, again FWIW, I don't get a choice of which glibc to use either - along with pretty much every other linux, Debian has "forced libc6 down my throat".
Yes, if you are using a GNU operating system then GNU will, obviously, be forced down your throad. And if you use a GNU/Linux system, then you can add the Linux kernel to that attack too.
Not that smart an argument, no need to repeat it (yes, i have read it too, like all others. Less smart posting/repeating it here than you might have assumed).
I expect more from someone like you. That really is close to insulting your own intelligence (and the one of the readers. A few are not idiots. At least keep them in mind when writing something).

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#92 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

fruitofloom wrote:What matters more is the quality, not the quantity of the people who will leave (have left already).
Indeed. Joey Hess being a prime recent example (and yes I know who else you mean as well).
At the end of the day the only thing which matters to me is what i am doing
In this we agree entirely, and my previous post was framed on what I currently intend to "do" about systemd (as per the topic and poll) coming to Debian and what that entails for the systems I run.
Short version: From what i read to me it looks as if 25% leaving sounds possible. Make it 15 % or 30%, if it makes you happy.
Again, that proportion would surprise me, but guessing numbers is pointless - it will be what it will be.
Mine too. All of them (until i replaced them with other OS'es, of course)
That is not the point.
Well that is exactly the point of my answer to the question.
I want my systems to work as well as possible at what they do going forward, and in my current opinion, Debian still provides a huge number of advantages for me over the alternatives.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of systemd, and some of the consequences of what is going on are cause for caution and concern.
That is the Debian way of doing things? Really ?
If you're talking about the politics and arguing, then probably yes :)
-------------
And, again FWIW, I don't get a choice of which glibc to use either - along with pretty much every other linux, Debian has "forced libc6 down my throat".
Yes, if you are using a GNU operating system then GNU will, obviously, be forced down your throad. And if you use a GNU/Linux system, then you can add the Linux kernel to that attack too.
Not that smart an argument, no need to repeat it (yes, i have read it too, like all others. Less smart posting/repeating it here than you might have assumed).
I expect more from someone like you. That really is close to insulting your own intelligence (and the one of the readers. A few are not idiots. At least keep them in mind when writing something).
edit: I don't recall reading that particular analogy before, but I must confess that all the systemd threads end up looking pretty much the same most of the time and I tend to 'glaze over' occasionally....

Admittedly, it is a poor satire of the hyperbole spouted by some, but my point is that at certain points in history choices have been made by all distributions for one 'system' over another, sometimes controversially and sometimes not the most technically advantageous for all, but there is a value in having a "standard".
There seem to be a good number of Debian devs committed to preserving choice of inits in Debian (and that is a VERY GOOD THING), but at the end of the day, they cannot control upstreams (although influence is separate matter) and can only do so much work to integrate divergent code.
My guess is that systemd will be avoidable in Debian for those that want to choose their packages carefully.

If code-allergy gets too much, of course there are other options as per your "other options" thread :)
But for me that also means doing without all of the Debian goodness I've come to know and love.

Also, to labour a point, the code is all still there - there is nothing stopping any one or group from building and distributing (and maintaining) any system they want, just that a lot of the people *currently* writing and maintaining and packaging and distributing are moving the systemd way (whether that is good or bad in the long term, history will judge, and no doubt, further decisions will be made).
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

fruitofloom

#93 Post by fruitofloom »

Thanks for your elaborate answer.
Got your point better now, i hope.

I can understand the reasoning of people who stick to Debian. Well: a certain way of reasoning. Simply ignoring the "problem" ... i can't understand that.
Perhaps my time with Debian was over anyway, and i just took the chance?
I simply don't know. All that confused me, and the more i think about it, the more it confuses me (doesn't look like what i had in mind when speaking of Debian anymore).

I read the glibc argument quite a lot. Didn't know you didn't. Sorry
(Still it doesn't make any sense to me ... but then: I barely know what libc is ... no kidding ... lol).

I should stop posting about the subject. I agree with most threads ending nowhere (and me repeating all the time that it is time to leave debian is getting old too).

It might well be that in the (long) end the outcome will be something really new, really fresh (hurd comes to mind). Linux sure did get old (funny enough by lots of teenagers now using it ... :-) ).

Keep it up, have fun, this way or the other.

NathaelPajani

#94 Post by NathaelPajani »

Hi guys,

I saw the survey at the beginning of this thread (even filled it), but this survey requires login to the forum.
Thus it's not very representative.

I've created an online survey, with no login.
I know it can be abused. I ask users not to do so ... even if my survey results won't be much more representative than this one in the end ... the goal is more to tell debian developers that there are people caring about what they do.

I also ask people to tell how many machines are concerned by their vote.

Here is the link to the survey : http://framadate.org/shrov71cur7xvsks

Share it :)
Thanks.

Linadian

#95 Post by Linadian »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
Really?

For mine, the Debian project gets the benefit of the doubt, based on past experience, and I remain to be convinced that the world is coming to an end.

And, again FWIW, I don't get a choice of which glibc to use either - along with pretty much every other linux, Debian has "forced libc6 down my throat". I wonder if Ulrich Drepper is an arrogant prick?

edit: I hope you're not using ReiserFS :)
You can back peddle, whitewash, Jim Jones, puppies, rainbows and unicorns all you want, when the smoke clears, it's still a BETA proprietary blob that has too much control over one's system and will be forced on people, like I said in a different post, make meta-packages, that way people can uninstall it if they want, but oh, wait, devs are supposed to write typical everyday apps around dictatord. If I wanted this kind of $#1+, I would have stayed with Windows, f#%k Redhat and f#%k Poettering. I'm already testing Salix on my old machine, I should be switched long before your NSA-ware Debhat "hits the servers".

And FYI, most polls are correct to +/- 5%, so yeah, judging by that unofficial, unscientific poll, you will be lose a lot of users. Just rename Debian to Redbuntian and get it over with. :P
Linux Registered User 533946