Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What should we do about systemd?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What should we do about systemd?

Poll ended at 2014-11-26 08:34

a) give up Debian to use another distribution which respects the *nix tradition
24%
b) concentrate on systemd's fork (uselessd) to port it to Debian
11%
c) use sysvinit (INIT) irrespective of its limitations with respect to modern software requirements
16%
d) use another initialisation system like runit
6%
e) accept systemd and continue using Debian
43%

Total votes: 87

reinob

Re: What should we do about systemd?

#31 Post by reinob »

tomazzi wrote:Yes, that's pretty much what i'm trying to tell You: systemd is created by jerks, who are thinking that they are geniuses - but in fact, they are simply uneducated ...
Hey, just like you. What a coincidence! :)

Don't be a jerk, and don't be uneducated. Be technical, and objective. Deal?

tomazzi

#32 Post by tomazzi »

reinob wrote:
tomazzi wrote:Yes, that's pretty much what i'm trying to tell You: systemd is created by jerks, who are thinking that they are geniuses - but in fact, they are simply uneducated ...
Hey, just like you. What a coincidence! :)

Don't be a jerk, and don't be uneducated. Be technical, and objective. Deal?
Here You have technical description of the most fundamental problem in systemd:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p558588

The above is my reaction on calling Open Source community peoples "a******s". That was very "technical" and "objective" - isn't it?
If You would read his responses to bugs reports, then You would quickly understand, that those "a******s" are just peoples who are pissed off due to ignorance and arrogance of this guy.

Everyone, who finds a bug, just don't undarstand that it's not a bug - it's a feature.
People, who says that systemd has important deficiencies and should not be adopted, are "a******s", who dont understand how clever and perfect systemd is.

Odi profanum vulgus

Linadian

#33 Post by Linadian »

Or rename Debian?

Debhat
Redian
Poettian
Sheepian
Udebtu
Virusd

Got any more? Feel free to add to my list, lol. :mrgreen:

Edit: I like Debhat the best, it's my fave, "Remove the installation media to ensure you are booting from your new Debhat system", lol. :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-11-04 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Registered User 533946

edbarx

#34 Post by edbarx »

I am waiting for the DDs to drop the thermonuclear bomb i.e. mandate systemd in SID.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

golinux

#35 Post by golinux »

edbarx wrote:I am waiting for the DDs to drop the thermonuclear bomb i.e. mandate systemd in SID.
I assume it will have to be before the 5th freeze date, Not much time left before BOOM!
May the FORK be with you!

edbarx

#36 Post by edbarx »

SID has been installed complete with XFCE4. systemd is installed, but it is not being used. I will wait until DDs push systemd (aka virusd) down our throats irrespective of the fact that systemd is still in its embyonic stage and will reduce Debian to the pityful state of Windows 95, 98 and ME back in the nineties and early into the new millenium!

When the Thermonuclear BOMB is dropped, I will start my final battle against systemd: if I lose, I may turn to Salix, Slackware or something along those lines. This is obviously subject to whether the DDs decide to continue offering choice of OS initialisation programs. In that event, it will be a relaxed and peaceful use of Debian.

Code: Select all

void adapt_to_systemd()
{
     bool bomb_dropped;
     while (1) {
          bomb_dropped = (check_sid_for_systemd() == 1);
          if (bomb_dropped) break;
              else continue_using_wheezy_and_jessie();
    }

int battle_won = start_final_battle();
     if (battle_won > 0)           // it takes some time to win a battle; -1 means battle lost
         continue_using_debian();
         else install_salix_or_equivalent();
}
Added Later:
In the event of failing to workaround systemd, between two evils, the most practical choice is that of choosing the least evil of the two. This means, if moving away from Debian requires more sacrifices than gains, the 'best' option would be the choice causing the least of sacrifices.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Linadian

#37 Post by Linadian »

edbarx wrote:I will wait until DDs push systemd (aka virusd) down our throats irrespective of the fact that systemd is still in its embyonic stage and will reduce Debian to the pityful state of Windows 95, 98 and ME back in the nineties and early into the new millenium!
You pretty much nailed it, Steve Ballmer once called Linux a "cancer", or was it FOSS, I forget, either way, I won't be using this Redhat/Poettering 'Medusa' (lots of tentacles/snakes to bring your whole system down), if I can't control anything, fully understand it or can't trust it completely, it does NOT stay on my machine, I don't give a $#1+ who wrote it or how many lemmings have jumped off the virusd cliff already. I can't wait for some pimply faced kid to find an exploit, then I'll be whizzing in my pants from laughing so hard. Redhat/Poettering, congrats, you're the new cancer of the Linux world, a dubious 'honour'.

From the latest openSUSE release Distrowatch package list:
• systemd-210-25.5.4.x86_64.rpm
• systemd-32bit-210-25.5.4.x86_64.rpm
• systemd-bash-completion-210-25.5.4.noarch.rpm
• systemd-logger-210-25.5.4.x86_64.rpm
• systemd-presets-branding-openSUSE-0.3.0-12.1.2.noarch.rpm
• systemd-rpm-macros-2-8.1.2.noarch.rpm
• systemd-sysvinit-210-25.5.4.x86_64.rpm

*puke*

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#38 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Linadian wrote:if I can't control anything, fully understand it or can't trust it completely, it does NOT stay on my machine,
Really?
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

fruitofloom

#39 Post by fruitofloom »

or can't trust it ... , it does NOT stay on my machine,
Really !
I assumed that had something to do with running Linux, and for sure with running Debian.
Why else all the mess with packaging and signing and exchanging gpg-keys?

Controling it ? Depends. If i want to i think software should allow me to control it. I think that was and is the main idea of what is called *free* software. No?

Fully understand? Rather not (but then: the more a distro is like a KISS, the more easy it is to understand. I sure prefer that approach. Like: If i want to understand it, then it is rather easy than hard, as easy as possible ).
Give me convenience or give me death.

fleabus

#40 Post by fleabus »

I found this relevant to my own feelings on the sysd thing (Not that good at expressing my feelings in words, always comes out wrong):

http://soylentnews.org/comments.pl?sid=4493&cid=108820
I fall on the side of the anti-systemd crowd for the very simple reason that all they are asking for is the same freedom of choice that brought most of them into the *nix world in the first place, whereas the pro-systemd crowd just seems to want everyone to be forced to use their brand new toy. No one has yet said anything on this issue that has convinced me I need to know more than that .... Choice is everything, or Linux becomes a joke to its most die-hard users and supporters. If systemd becomes an unremovable parasite on the kernel, even if it's a symbiotic parasite, those who do not wish to use it will simply flee the Linux world entirely. Can the Linux community survive losing a third or even a quarter of its developers over the next couple of years? It's an interesting question.
Now, obviously I agree right up until the part where he says he doesn't need to know any more. :) And I'm not sure that Linux is in danger of losing "a third to a quarter of its developers". I'd like to believe that those "doers" who become dissatisfied will devote their efforts to alternatives.

Re the "symbiotic parasite" thing, I am assuming a reference to the kdbus-in-the-kernel mess. Others have opined that sysd will then have "established a beachhead" in the kernel and that's the ballgame.

I'm encouraged by the efforts of edbarx, fsmithred, Void, Crux, and others trying sysd-free alternatives. I've discovered a real fondness for Slackware.
Last edited by fleabus on 2014-11-25 03:14, edited 4 times in total.
Lenovo Legion 5-15IMH05 32GB Ram, 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD

fruitofloom

#41 Post by fruitofloom »

I too doubt it will lose that much developers (or users).
But then: what matters more is quality, compared to quantity.

In the long future, assuming systemd can't be anymore avoided in Linux at all, there will probably be more options than BSD ones.
They won't be as comfortable as Linux, just like BSD isn't as comfortable as Linux is right now, but i guess that is rather a good thing.
iow: i kinda agree that the movement (away from systemd, by this means or others) gains strenghts.

I got no crystal balls (plural, huh?), but that is how it looks to me.

quote by the dude of uselessd, iirc. Slightly related:
"Ultimately, the cruel irony is that in systemd’s attempt to supposedly unify the distributions, it has created a huge rift unlike any other and is exacerbating the long-present hostilities between desktop Linux and minimalist Linux sides at rates that are absolutely atypical."
Irony isn't even close to it.
Epic.
Give me convenience or give me death.

fleabus

#42 Post by fleabus »

fruitofloom wrote:....what matters more is quality, compared to quantity.
....there will probably be more options than BSD ones.
Yes. I'm going to take it a step further and hope that there'll be Linux options.
Last edited by fleabus on 2014-11-25 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

Linadian

#43 Post by Linadian »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
Linadian wrote:if I can't control anything, fully understand it or can't trust it completely, it does NOT stay on my machine,
Really?
Yep, really, I go to great lengths to find out what stuff is and what it does, I can read for hours. You should see me de-virus a Windows machine (ALL so-called 'anti-virus' scam-ware is useless), like picking nits of my pet's fur, nothing escapes me, I didn't get that good by a fluke or being a dumbass. :P

Bulkley

#44 Post by Bulkley »

I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm waiting & seeing. I'll probably go with whatever is in Jessie when the time comes. Fortunately I have several CD's with past Debian varieties (the oldest being Storm) that I can use on older machines if I so choose.

Linadian

#45 Post by Linadian »

Bulkley wrote:I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm waiting & seeing. I'll probably go with whatever is in Jessie when the time comes.
Actually, I've been thinking about this, if I'm going to have kernel invading corpware bloat forced on to my machine, I might as well go for a Debian Xfce on steroids, that would be Mint 17 Xfce (2 years system/apps LTS plus another 3 years security updates), a lot less work to install and at least I'll know where I stand, they make no bones or have no shame about anything, lol. :idea: :!: :roll: :lol:

I tried some other distros on my old machine today (4 HDD Raid 0), Mint was a challenge but it did go on the Raid, unlike the others. The only problem is, it's a double slap in the face, I'm not an Ubuntu fan either, but at least it's well maintained and polished.

fleabus

#46 Post by fleabus »

I'm just gonna go retro Debian, stick with Wheezy or Wheezy-based, that's good for a couple more years.
Plenty of time to learn Slackware and just, in general, to wait and see. A lot can happen in the next two or three years.
I'm hopeful there will still be Linux solutions. Maybe even Debian ones.
Last edited by fleabus on 2014-11-25 01:26, edited 2 times in total.

Linadian

#47 Post by Linadian »

fleabus wrote:I'm just gonna go retro Debian, stick with Wheezy or Wheezy-based, that's good for a couple more years.
Plenty of time to learn Slackware and just, in general, to wait and see. A lot can happen in the next two or three years.
I'm hopeful there will still be Linux solutions. Maybe even Debian ones.
I'm starting to agree, installed Mint 17 Xfce on my old machine, the only positive thing is it has DVDStyler, other than that, I can feel the virusd bugs, it's heavily infested, gkrellm seems 'jailed' like on a BSD system, the only sensor values accessible to tweak (offsets) are the HDD temps, everything else is locked, this isn't a huge issue but even on my new machine in Wheezy, grkrellm works perfectly and all values are accessible. Even simple things in Mint like adding icons or wallpaper to the appropriate directories is a chore now, it feels like excessive permissions lock-down.

Edit: I transcoded the same video file with Bombono (available in dmo) on my new machine in Wheezy, it did a better job than DVDStyler in Mint 17 (with virusd) on my old machine (hardware is of no consequence here, they are both very capable machines), I may wipe the fresh install of Mint off my old machine and install Wheezy on it too, I disabled the splash in Mint and 'un-hid' Grub (everybody is really Window-izing things these days, grrr), you should see the Poett-hat-ware virus scrolling by, 'strangling' everything, it's disgusting. :twisted:

Edit 2: Judging by the way things are going/looking, I'll be forced back to KDE on PC-BSD, I know they offer Xfce, which I tried, it's OK but a little buggy, I've always found most distros' default DE is the best supported and implemented. It really burns my @$$ that I may have to give up my fakeraid on both my old and new machines, I hate being forced in to a corner, grrrrrr. :twisted:
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-11-05 22:03, edited 3 times in total.

n_hologram

#48 Post by n_hologram »

fleabus wrote:I'm just gonna go retro Debian, stick with Wheezy or Wheezy-based, that's good for a couple more years.
Plenty of time to learn Slackware...
This is basically my path, with a slight bias towards *BSD. On the topic of Slackware, assuming parasited roots itself deeply enough into the kernel, would it even make sense to switch to a Linux-based distro? (This has been a widely-discussed topic as of late, but I know very little about how slackware differs from, say, Debian.)
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#49 Post by oswaldkelso »

Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

keithpeter

#50 Post by keithpeter »

n_hologram wrote:
Plenty of time to learn Slackware...
This is basically my path, with a slight bias towards *BSD. On the topic of Slackware, assuming parasited roots itself deeply enough into the kernel, would it even make sense to switch to a Linux-based distro? (This has been a widely-discussed topic as of late, but I know very little about how slackware differs from, say, Debian.)
Slackware 14.1 default install comes in at around 8Gb including KDE/XFCE and a few other thinner window managers. The large default install is one way round the lack of dependency resolution when using the 'provided' package managers. You compile 'slackbuilds' to add other programs, not difficult but can take a bit of time on older hardware. The slackers are a pragmatic bunch not given to drama. If it becomes impossible to provide a decent desktop without systemd, they will include it. But just enough of it to make KDE work :twisted:

OpenBSD is an 'interesting' experience - similar to Linux but different in many details. I'm writing this on an OpenBSD 5.6 install on the test laptop with XFCE4 running with ConsoleKit, dbus, the hotplug daemon and 'toad', a little daemon that handles auto-mounting usb sticks and CDs. I'm puggling round the man pages trying to work out why the USB CD-ROM isn't auto-mounting. You get the picture.