Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Certified Linux Engineer?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
raspbian

Debian Certified Linux Engineer?

#1 Post by raspbian »

I was wondering why we don't have any certification exams from Debian though it has been used by many. I have seen many companies looking for Linux admin or Linux professionals who are running Debian as their servers but could not understand why they ask for a Redhat Certified guy even if they are not running Redhat Servers?

Redhat & Debian, both started around the same time but then also why Debian guys never thought of or never launched a Certification exam? Not to proof something but aleast people would be able to test their skills or expertise as per the Enterprise requirement.

We have Redhat certifications, LPIC and now from Linux foundation as well. Will there be a time for Debian based certifications or not?

Just a query or curiosity, not an arguement

golinux

Re: Debian Certified Linux Engineer?

#2 Post by golinux »

raspbian wrote:We have Redhat certifications, LPIC and now from Linux foundation as well. Will there be a time for Debian based certifications or not?
Since it looks like Debian will be morphing into some sort of Red Hat satellite with virusd under the hood, I imagine the Red Hat certs might suffice.
May the FORK be with you!

fruitofloom

#3 Post by fruitofloom »

It was discussed a few years ago.
They figured you wouldn't pass it anyway, so the idea was given up.
Give me convenience or give me death.

raspbian

#4 Post by raspbian »

raspbian wrote:They figured you wouldn't pass it anyway, so the idea was given up.
Had they (Richard Stallman+Linus Torvalds+Other developers) thought this way, we would have never got a free OS. Anyhow, I will let you know my certificate number to verify the same, once they change their mind til then be happy with your thoughts.
Last edited by raspbian on 2014-11-09 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

raspbian

#5 Post by raspbian »

Still waiting for one. Any update on this ?

spacex

#6 Post by spacex »

raspbian wrote:Still waiting for one. Any update on this ?
I think you are waiting in vain.

raspbian

#7 Post by raspbian »

Hmmm, but waiting for a logical answer and not the certification to be launched. Just curious to know, m already an RHCE even when the thread didn't exist.