Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Where will you go after systemd?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Where will you go after systemd?

BSD
16%
Linux without systemd
47%
Mac
3%
Windows
No votes
something totally different
1%
have not decided yet
33%

Total votes: 73

schnuller

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

#61 Post by schnuller »

mardybear wrote:[
Just playing devil's advocate to the 'don't want ANY systemd files on my system' argument - how much unnecessary or undesirable software is already included during a typical Debian install. Does the average user really need a monolithic kernel, multiple graphic drivers on-hand, a login manager, SSH, pulseaudio, wpa_supplicant, popularity contest, dozens of fonts, multiple editors, etc (the list is very long). If i don't like or use them, then do i give up on the distribution? ,...
As far it's me: Exactly.
systemd is only the tip of the iceberg

(i never ran in problems with the packages you listed, i wouldn't even think of them, but there are other packages and i don't like the general *technical* direction of debian anymore, it is way too far away from KISS, for my taste. I could work around it, of course, but it is clear that that is what is wanted, so i would have to work around it in the future too, and i had to do it all the time.
Which is only a problem because i don't like the *social* aspect of Debian anymore neither. I simply don't find posts or advice in IRC which helps me to keep the system KISS, which, when i started using Debian, was the general approach and - more or less - a piece of cake. Today it is a nightmare ).

searching for old discussions about pulseaudio might be interesting ... mailing lists and such ... because above i mentioned "reputation" ...

spacex

#62 Post by spacex »

schnuller wrote:
spacex wrote:I will go nowhere.
If you used Debian as long you've been a member of this forum, it is an interesting statement. And even if you used it for a year it wouldn't mean that much (looking at the fact that quite some long-time users left it).
Quite funny dude. You know there are other distributions floating around. And Debian isn't the one introducing Systemd. I have used it for years already. Being new at the Debian User Forums doesn't mean that someone is a newbie :D

The point is that Systemd is here to stay. Like it or not. The train has left the station. It's a complete waiste of time and energy trying to resist it.

It would be rather stupid if Debian decided aginst Systemd while most new applications will be developed with Systemd in mind. Debian is generous enough to make it easy to continue using Sysvinit, with the limitations and dependency-issues this will bring in the future. There will be apps and software you will not be able to install and run properly without Systemd.

Debian simply can not choose Sysvinit as default, because the average user will not be able to handle the future issues they no doubt will get with it. The default always have to be whatever is best for the average users, leaving the more skilled ones to care for themselves and their own needs. That's how it has to be, if Debian aspire to be used by average people. And I can't see why they shouldn't. Elitism isn't for me. Serve the masses. I have no need to be in a "geek-distro". If I wanted that, I would be in Gentoo or freeBSD.

schnuller

#63 Post by schnuller »

I don't care for your arguments for or against systemd.

I only stated that you said " will go nowhere", while you simply just arrived (if you arrived at all). It is a bit of a wild guessing to assume you wouldn't go ... And if you would go, no one would miss you (simply cause after 1 day no one knows you).

Debian sure is known for a form of elitism. Perhaps simply that will make you go?
Or will you "go nowhere", no matter what?

Or, to put it different: I sure have seen a lot of people come and go (without missing to claim "how great debian is", that they will stay forever, usually less than 6 months, etc. ).
Last edited by schnuller on 2015-01-18 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

spacex

#64 Post by spacex »

buntunub wrote:Most of the anti-systemd people have long since migrated to a better alternative, such as BSD, Slackware, or Gentoo. Soon, Devuan will also be a much better alternative to any Debian hardcore as well. There is also the very real possiblity that Systemd will lose support after Jessie as some people begin to understand just how invasive and monolithic it really is.
Nothing wrong with people migrating here and there for all sorts of reasons. Debian isn't hardcore anymore, and hasn't been hardcore in a while. It's a user-friendly distribution well suited for the average Joe. Those that are more skilled installs only the base-system and build the rest themselves. That's how it should be. Providing options for both skilled and unskilled.

As for Systemd, the battle was lost the instant people discorvered how fast it boots, and the instant shutdown. This way, there are no need for hibernation anymore, People can actually turn their computers off each and every time. You see, the common user will not dig any deeper into Systemd. They decide from what they experience. Easy as that ;)

schnuller

#65 Post by schnuller »

spacex wrote: Debian. It's a user-friendly distribution well suited for the average Joe.
qft
That, and only that, should be put on the main page of debian.org

mean_dean

#66 Post by mean_dean »

schnuller wrote:
spacex wrote: Debian. It's a user-friendly distribution well suited for the average Joe.
qft
That, and only that, should be put on the main page of debian.org
+1

kinda says it all...

spacex

#67 Post by spacex »

schnuller wrote:I don't care for your arguments for or against systemd.

I only stated that you said " will go nowhere", while you simply just arrived (if you arrived at all). It is a bit of a wild guessing to assume you wouldn't go ... And if you would go, no one would miss you (simply cause after 1 day no one knows you).

Debian sure is known for a form of elitism. Perhaps simply that will make you go?
Or will you "go nowhere", no matter what?
Yes, but I talked about using Debian, not using the forums. Two different things you know. It's quite possible to use Debian without participating in the forums.

But if you really need to know it, I tend to only use Debian as a base. As I'm a bit of a NO desktop guy, and always tend to keep every install as minimal as possible. But that doesn't mean that I think that Debian should move in my direction. I fully understand that Debian have to appeal to a wider audience. They can't develop it for people like me and you. Little or no cash to get from that, and cash is needed for development :)

schnuller

#68 Post by schnuller »

I could swear you posted somewhere that you used Peppermint and Watt.

But anyway, i said "if". If you used Debian for long, then what i said doesn't mean anything
(instead of ranting about systemd you could have said it straight away).

Not that long ago "using it as a base" was the normal thing to do.
So Debian didn't have to move in my direction, but i had to move in the direction of Debian. And it sure served me well
(As of now i haven't seen what i could learn from AverageJoe ... ).

schnuller

#69 Post by schnuller »

spacex wrote:. As I'm a bit of a NO desktop guyI)
I hear you.
I am a bit of not pregnant, btw.

spacex

#70 Post by spacex »

schnuller wrote: (As of now i haven't seen what i could learn from AverageJoe ... ).
Who says that we can learn from them. But we can co-excist. Barely :)

As for Systemd I have no strong feelings, because I'm able still able use Sysvinit with Debian. So the choice is mine to make. The fact that software and apps independent of Debian may be difficult to use without Systemd because of dependency-issues and stuff, isn't something we can blame Debian for. There really is no point leaving DEbian for another distribution. Because, you will also be limited there. Apps that depend on Systemd, depends on Systemd, regardless what distro you find yourself in. The real choice is whether or not to use those apps. Not whether you should leave Debian or not.

schnuller

#71 Post by schnuller »

spacex wrote: Apps that depend on Systemd, depends on Systemd, regardless what distro you find yourself in. The real choice is whether or not to use those apps. Not whether you should leave Debian or not.
Are you saying that i can't leave Debian?

I could swear that funtoo offers gnome without systemd ...
Of course it can be done. Thing is: Debian cares crap.
Yes, we can blame Debian that it builds apps with needed support for systemd and it's libs ...

I for one had no problems to use Windows. And the more i know about Linux, the more sense it seems to make
(otoh in 5 years we all will be using android anyway ... not much point in switching to windows, it seems).

mean_dean

#72 Post by mean_dean »

spacex wrote:As for Systemd I have no strong feelings, because I'm able still able use Sysvinit with Debian. So the choice is mine to make.
I suspect in a few years that wont be true.
The fact that software and apps independent of Debian may be difficult to use without Systemd because of dependency-issues and stuff, isn't something we can blame Debian for. There really is no point leaving DEbian for another distribution. Because, you will also be limited there. Apps that depend on Systemd, depends on Systemd, regardless what distro you find yourself in.

Not true for the most part. I suspect the latest gnome probably has some hard dependencies on systemd but not much else has a true dependency on it.

schnuller

#73 Post by schnuller »

mean_dean wrote:
spacex wrote:As for Systemd I have no strong feelings, because I'm able still able use Sysvinit with Debian. So the choice is mine to make.
I suspect in a few years that wont be true.
And i suspect in a few years init.rc, which will have replaced systemd, because it was too conservative, will be replaced by something even more new.

And Desktop Linux will be used by just as many people as it is used right now: close to none (people more smart than i am might think that the conclusion to not focus on desktop users, which are not there anyway, might be a good one .... but i still have the hope that soon the masses will switch to gnomed ).

buntunub

#74 Post by buntunub »

spacex wrote:
As for Systemd, the battle was lost the instant people discorvered how fast it boots, and the instant shutdown. This way, there are no need for hibernation anymore, People can actually turn their computers off each and every time. You see, the common user will not dig any deeper into Systemd. They decide from what they experience. Easy as that ;)
That whole entire statement is nothing but lies. It is clear that you know nothing about systemd. Debian did not choose it, nor does anyone choose systemd because of non-existant boot time differences. Systemd does not boot any faster than SysV all by itself, nor does it shut down any faster than SysV all by itself.

I can't believe you would choose a long ago debunked myth about systemd as what you believe is its primary selling point. This proves the point that you know less than nothing about systemd, yet you argue in favor of it.

Deb-fan

#75 Post by Deb-fan »

The perceived BIG HAMMER approach being taken in replacing sysV in some of gnu/Linux is kinda concerning to me. Yes .. the firmer expansion beyond how the current init system works .. blahblah. Specifically said perceived there, cause it's not like this has happened overnight. It's been under discussion for quite some time obviously and the need for a new init system well known among people who know such things.

I'm not saying end-users among the nix crowd shouldn't be somewhat concerned. Pay attention & keep watching developments with systemd. Only that I encourage people to have a factual basis, an intelligent understanding about what's actually happening, what they're freaking out about, before actually freaking out, eh?

SysVinit for sure needs to be replaced. It's decades old and the features systemd offers that it can't are about much more than just parallelizing init( faster boot.) If anyone bothers to learn anything about it/those benefits or what an init system even is or does. The person in charge of developing it, is connected very closely apparently with Redhat. People should make no mistake, Redhat and the people chosen to be a part of it are some of the best of the best in terms of technology and software in the world ... PERIOD.

So I don't doubt for a new york sec, this person has forgotten more about Gnu/nix and all things tech, than I'll ever know. I don't fault the guy for not taking his time to stop and try to clarify or justify things being done to people who know nothing about it overall.

Then I see folks screaming, it's not documented, it's not well documented, where are the man-pages blahblah. Then you see things stating that systemd is comprised of like 225k lines of code and that like 120k+ of them are comments and whitespace. To me, not a gifted coder by any means and will never be anything like in these devs league. Stands to reason, if those code comments are in any way meaningful, then they are documenting it and EXTENSIVELY. Man pages and docs will come later. Though let's face it, man-pages may as well be written in Chinese for all they really tell someone often enough. :D

So if the guy doesn't want to waste 10mins trying to explain something I won't understand or really don't know anything about to me, I don't blame him. That's 10mins he could've spent actually getting something productive done instead. Now it'd be ok, if 2-3-5 clueless people wasted 10-15mins of the guys time a dy and he felt like doing it. However when there's 100's, do the math. Nothing would get done with the project he's working on. Same for contrib patches proposed or whatever.

That's why there's a development team and a head of the team. Because they and that head have the skills and knowledge to get whatever project done. Seems like an intelligent and reasonable approach to things to me.

This really isn't some big hammer, out of the blue thing. Many people buying into FUD and completely ignorant of what's and why's ... or who's, I think are really foolish. The people saying it ( have no clue what it even is) works, so why change it. The folks that have the knowledge, do the work and volunteer their skills know what it is and why it needs to be changed. You can hammer in a nail w a brick, it works ... why change it. It's not a hammer, it's dang sure a longggg way from a modern nail-gun, right ?

Or hey, why not cater to me, even though I'm clueless and really just using something you're generous enough to share with me. Hey, I want my freedom, it's my choice dang it ! Give me more choices-(Note: There are several.) But as to why it's not the best idea to give end-users endless choices of an init system ?

Well ... for one thing, giving 2,200 choices to people who have no idea what's going on. a) Doesn't resolve or effectively address the original issue that prompted the change in the 1st place and b) Makes it that much more complicated, adds to the work-load of the awesome folks actually doing the work. Though hey, as an end-USER, why should anyone care about that huh ?

These ingenius and unbelieveably generous people can just sit around in magic opensource fairyland, granting every end-users wish or whim ... right ? Without these people seemingly willing to do/learn anything for themselves of course. Here's my thought on it, DFTF=(don't feed the FUD.)

As for the systemd is taking over EVERYTHING, omg, omg. It's actually a reasonable extension, what does an init system do afterall ? Many of the processes started after pid=1 or daemons/services started during the process handle many things/functions necessary for the OS to operate. Whether it's started by an initscript at one of the run-levels and properly shut down later or started/stopped a diff way. They HAVE to be up and running for the OS to run and be stable.

In fact, if someone sets aside the ignorant FUD and does a bit of intelligent research, that's one of the benefits systemd is intending to address. It's "stateful", meaning it can tell what state a service is in. If a service that's supposed to be running isn't or crashes, part of the improvement is that systemd will detect this and try to resolve the issue and get the service back up and running. Obvious end result of this = a more stable operating system.

So if folks, who again have forgotten more about how things work feel this is a good/better approach. I'm forced to conclude that they likely know of which they speak and I do not. Also note that due to the nature of gnu/nix and opensource, there are other expert level people watching developments and if someone tried to slip a "this is going to ruin everything" change into Linux. The mountains would shake with the voices of outrage and dissent.

Those people would bring w them fact based, 1st hand experience and detailed technical data to support what they're saying. Not to be confused with all the systemd fudders or tinfoil hatters being heard in too many gnu/nix communities atm.

Didn't take much research at all to debunk much of this nonsense. Because of the panic undertones in this FUD thread, hey, I went off looking for FUD and yeah, found plenty. See even Linus Torvald said it's horrible!!! and they support that with a snippet taken out of context and don't even provide the full quote. Someone bothers to track it down and nope, that's not what he said at all.

Another prominent person assoc with major opensource projs. The fudders shout, look he agrees w us, he said xyz!!! Then I go to his google+ page and he has installed and is using systemd himself. Hmmmm curiouser and curiouser, hmmmm, rather than the FUD, let's look up what benefits systemd provides over the old sysv. Well now ... there's quite a few. Sighs, now that that's off my chest. More typing about systemd follows.

Some thoughts about systemd, I'm definitely going to try it ( have played with cmds/configs in the past) and it'd be ridiculous imo to abandon Debian or Gnu/Linux because of this development. As I've mentioned in another post, jmo, if Debian is allowing it to be adopted, they've got reasons and those reasons are certainly not to destroy opensource or gnu/nix. Nor taking over your computer and sucking your soul outta your eyeballs, *RELAX* people, take a deep breath sheesh.
( ... I sincerely hope more paranoid schizo(s) do not start popping up and trying to tell me Debian has been infiltrated and taken over by RH or space aliens. Opensource clearly doesn't work that way folks. There are many eyes upon the sourcecode, thus why it's called opensource. Keep such tinfoil hattage and FUD 2 yourselves please. Plus I believe these people really should be using aluminum foil. I've been told it's much more effective @ keeping out the govt mind-probes!)
After reading extensively and already knew a tad about sysvinit, systemd is a "drop-in" backwards compatible init system to replace systemV. It offers many features and has capabilities sysv can't match. Sysv depending upon which source you go by is 20-30yrs old. When considering technology, that makes it older than dinosaur turds. Though it has undergone upgrades, re-works and recieved patches or bandaides during that time.

Being a drop in replacement, as it was described so many times in materials made me think, if someone can drop it in so easily, can almost certainly drop it out easily too. Bit of googling, yep you can reinstall sysvinit and continue using it instead. Though Gnomexxx version software will not be poss to use without systemd. It'd be pulled into the gnu/nix OS as a depend. That's fine ... if someone wants to use any of the MANY alternatives to Gnome3xxx and their other assoc apps/utils.

Systemd is also backwards compatible and imo, will HAVE to stay that way for the foreseeable future, for a ton of reasons. So aside from newer packages designed explicitedly to depend on systemd in the repos ... Everything else will work just great per usual. Atm don't even know if ( or how many) of the packages in the Debian stable repos( or those soon to be stable) even give a whit about the existence of systemd. Probably not many.

Personally don't see much promise in things like the systemd-shim (edit: Well depending on which branches x-user is tracking). Systemd is undergoing HEAVY development obviously and the developers maintaining the shim would likely have to really stay on top of changes to keep it working. Though in a situation w Debian stable, the version of systemd and the systemd-shim could be static for MUCH longer than outside of Deb stable.

Thus could very well work fine for the lifespan of Jessie. Poss same for testing branch too. Unstable is well, named that for a reason. I like it and w some common sense blahblah. Whatever ... back to topic. This is complete speculation about the shim on my part, may try the shim jfthell-oi.
In considering Debian stable (or testing), that's one thing that does concern me about systemd. Packages in stable are older, if that means it's still got an older version of systemd in it. That may be problematic for the userbase.

Newer versions have come out, in which improvements made or bugs have been squashed. Don't consider it kosure that Debian stable users would get stuck with outdated or jmo, that something like a replacement to the init system should be considered something business as usual. Release cycle as usual kind of deal.

Though would never be such a tard or so azzhatish as to try to tell Debian HQ it's business. If they haven't already considered these things I'd be surprised and if it did turn out to be an issue would move to resolve the problem quickly.
Mentioned I'm going to try systemd, rather than whine and cry/piss n moan, threaten to take my toyz and go to freebsd, have a nervous breakdown about martians taking over my system etc etc etc. Would rather see what I think of it and find out about it 1st hand.

If you CHOOSE to apt-pin and run a mixed install, backport certain packages or refuse to give up using Gnome3's stuff, use older versions and don't bother putting them on hold in dpkg or or or. Then hey, that's x-users choice. Either know/learn what you're doing or deal with the consequences. Stop blaming Debian and gnu/nix for x-users bad judgement or ignorance-etc.

That's part of the FREEDOM so many tinfoil-hatters among gnu/nix communities keep screaming about. Though a TON of those folks clearly put the emphasis on FREEdom, as they've never donated one red cent to Debian or any other opensource project. Guess they consider it a contribution to Gnu/nix that they use it or summin. Just saying ...

* Just got this funny mental image of a mod over @ freebsd, hears a knock on the forum door. Opens .... and, there's 70,000 former gnu/nix users wearing tinfoil-hats standing on Freebsd's doorstep. :D Poor bsd, enough nix mad hatters show up, the peeps using bsd will port systemd and start using it for init just to get rid of em.
There are alternative init options, very likely in one or more branches of the Debian repos already. SysV + Openrc caught my attention and plan to eventually get around to playing with just cause, looks like it could be a step up from just systemV by itself.

If something grossly superior to systemd gets developed, then imo, NO ... systemd isn't carved in stone, Gnome or no Gnome. Many distro's don't give a whit about Gnome and mentioned Debian users don't HAVE to use it either. Though obviously w the big names behind it and the quality of the contribs they produce, yeah systemd's got mucho traction behind it. Would be shocked to ever see it replaced outright. Though changed ... that's another story.

I still strongly support Debian PERIOD, though there are also many distro's, what I think of as Grandfather or GMother distro's (however x-person prefers) that are not just going along with the systemd prog. Namely Gentoo and Slackware.

Both of which I personally have nothing but admiration and respect for along w Debian. There are others as well, one of which I'd come across recent posting in their home forum discussing systemd and adopting Openrc instead. Mostly cause they just don't like the way Redhat and Gnome are acting, rather than judging systemd's technical merits.

Though rest assured too, development will continue on systemd and folks who actually know something about software will almost certainly advocate ( or release) changes to improve anything it lacks, bugs found etc so forth, including Debian, affiliates, +userbase. Making it more modular etc etc.

Plus work on alternatives will no doubt continue too. One I noticed is a stripped down version of systemd aka: uselessd. Whose stated goal is to take out a bunch of the things many people are uncomfortable with and make systemd more like the ole systemV instead. Don't know how that project will end up.

FACT: That the people behind uselessd can fork systemd, change it extensively if they desire ( are capable) and even rename the proj a derogatory slur on the people who worked to develop it, strongly suggests to me that it's freely licensed, opensource etc blahblah ?

However I have plenty of faith in Debian's devs and the brilliant folks in the opensource UUG=(upper-uber-geekdom) and throughout the nixverse. As mentioned plenty of other options avail to gnu/nixers anyway. This is not "the end of the world as we know it" and I feel fineeeeeeee. < reference 2 REM lyrics. :)

Wanted to say-type a bunch more stuff about this blahblah. Though will end with, am more disturbed by the epidemic tidalwave of mindless fear, FUD and paranoia sweeping this and other Gnu/linux communities ... than I could ever be about systemd.

For da luv of the tech gawds. If you're daring enough, drop an install with systemd in Virtualbox-etc and then watch how it acts. Of if you're one of the more adventurous among the gnu/nix crowd and like myself tend to keep several testing partitions. Slap that sucker on bare-metal and check it out.

If it sucks the soul outta your eyeballs please post about the experience for the benefit of your fellow gnu/Linux users everywhere ... BOO! ... boo! Alright I'll quit, ... BOO! :D
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

buntunub

#76 Post by buntunub »

While I agree in general with your sentiment, I could not make it through the wall of text to the end. Sorry.

Yes. People should read about Systemd before posting FUD. Debian has a very good wiki on it and that is a great place to start.

https://wiki.debian.org/systemd
systemd is a system and service manager for Linux. systemd is compatible with SysV and LSB init scripts. It can work as a drop-in replacement for sysvinit. Systemd

Provides aggressive parallelization capabilities
Uses socket and D-Bus activation for starting services
Offers on-demand starting of daemons
Implements transactional dependency-based service control logic
Tracks processes using Linux cgroups
Supports snapshotting and restoring
Maintains mount and automount points
Those are the reasons Debian voted to move to Systemd. Each of those points can be debated in terms of the extent of their advantages over SysV, if any, but these are the key points.

One thing I would like to point out again is that Systemd is compatible with SysV scripts, and makes use of many. It has been argued that Systemd is closer to the Unix model than SysV (although their argument falls far short of the, "do one thing well").

You can argue for or against any of the above points, but to inject FUD into the debate is pointless. The bus has left the station here, and further debate is basically just academic at this point.

mean_dean

#77 Post by mean_dean »

systemd is a system and service manager for Linux. systemd is compatible with SysV and LSB init scripts. It can work as a drop-in replacement for sysvinit. Systemd

Provides aggressive parallelization capabilities
Uses socket and D-Bus activation for starting services
Offers on-demand starting of daemons
Implements transactional dependency-based service control logic
Tracks processes using Linux cgroups
Supports snapshotting and restoring
Maintains mount and automount points
and dont forget

init system, journal logging, login management, device
management, temporary and volatile file management, binary
format registration, backlight save/restore, rfkill save/restore,
bootchart, readahead, encrypted storage setup, EFI/GPT partition
discovery, virtual machine/container registration, minimal
container management, hostname management, locale
management, time management, random seed management, sysctl
variable management, console managment, . . .

basically every basic thing is covered....or will be...

twoflowers

#78 Post by twoflowers »

Yes, and that's the problem. Just look at the code and enjoy your scare ride ...
Last edited by twoflowers on 2015-01-21 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

Deb-fan

#79 Post by Deb-fan »

Gets out digital Xmas card list, hmmmm, scrolls, where is it, AH ... there he is, buntunub, tick + delete. Messing around, I don't blame you, can't believe I spent all that time typing that monster! :)

What follows is said to be the response of the head-dev of systemd himself, addressing various concerns about the project. Granted it's 9mnth old, still relevant and some interesting (imo) info to be found.

Check out ... This.

Jmo also, not saying systemd is the bestest thing in da whole wide world either. I don't like everything about it. Though it does come with many benefits too. Like everything else ... pros vs cons situation. Hoping ( and my money is on) it'll get better as time passes and still think majority of people should just say a hearty THANK YOU to the development team behind systemd.

With that typed-said though. Also see that.

For just a few of the options, sheesh as always w opensource and Gnu/Nix, plenty more options out there in addition to those. Not even going to try to index this into a nutshell. Anyone who wants to can do their own homework. Am not an Arch fanboi, I like it, even though haven't used it in quite awhile. Still have grown to respect it's developer ( inner circle) and the knowledge of it's community + it's wiki of course. Fact that Arch adopted systemd as default in my book says much for it (systemd). If it were a vile POS from hades, no way that'd have happened.

The developer does offer Arch users many choices. 1. I've made up my mind, this is how it's going to be. 2. Do something for yourself and use one of the 100's of other options you have readily at your disposal OR 3. Hit the highway and stop using Arch linux.

Hey, it's simple, it's very honest and to me perfectly reasonable. Pros/cons, shrugs.

Jmo ... but here's another fundamental principle of opensource ( any OS or platform thereof, hybrid, combo, whatever.)

* X-user doesn't like something, switch to one of the probably MANY other options out there. Still not happy, keep doing it until happy.
* Cant find something that x-users likes, take one of the MANY other options and fiddle with it until it's what is preferred. If it turns out really good or useful, share it with the rest of the world and you'll be rewarded w 100's of virgins in the afterlife (of your choice). :D
* Roll up sleeves and x-user can make it themselves from scratch, w - w/o any of a gazillion other projs to use as a basis to get a head start on it.

So yeah, for whoever doesn't want to learn about or use one of their MANY, MANY, MANYYYYYY options, for those who just don't have the skills or determination ( are too lazy and whining is just so much easier-etc )to keep at it until they find what they want and get the job done and for those just along for the ride. The bus has left the station. Nothing wrong w that either, though the ride will be smoother and overall better for them, thanks to the development of systemd.

Just more typing practice and opinions here about this great init system debate. Not at all claiming my outlook is the only one. Am all for each their own and whatever they want to do/use blahblahblah, hey who's stopping you ? ;)

Plus even if systemd does suck all our souls out of eyeballs. We all have to admit/agree that Linux would still put M$ to shame. :D
Wasn't going to bother posting to this again. Though since I did, felt the need to clarify something. I owe Gnome an apology. Just cause it's not my preference or cuppa etc etc. Still can't say it's not a kickbutt desktop and that they aren't really friggin good at what they do too. With that my job in this thread is done. Yay ! Will quit assaulting everyone with walls of text.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

schnuller

#80 Post by schnuller »

Are you a teenager?
(Don't hesitate: ejaculate ! That sure will give you bit of relief).

Sorry:
R U a teeng ?
:) !!! -- with u wo, nu? whats !? :-) :-) :-) !!!
Better?