Where will you go after systemd?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Where will you go after systemd?

BSD
12
16%
Linux without systemd
34
47%
Mac
2
3%
Windows
0
No votes
something totally different
1
1%
have not decided yet
24
33%
 
Total votes : 73

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-02-04 12:07

twoflowers wrote:@Head_on_a_Stick:

What software are you responsible for?

What have you written and where is it used?

Which packages (if any) do you maintain for this or any other distribution?

None whatsoever -- I have already clearly stated that I do not have the expertise to dissect any code base.

My point is that anyone can post authoritative-sounding bulls**t -- how are the users of this forum supposed to be able to separate the bs-merchants from the genuine experts?

EDIT: Anyway, I though I was on your "ignore" list...
:P
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 13058
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby tomazzi » 2015-02-04 18:40

bdtc1 wrote:
To summarise: there are no bugs in core/main.c:

1. Ignoring return value from sigaction is not a problem, because it's
almost *unlikely* to fail.
In any case, kernel will do the job, so it doesn't even matter
whether the handlers are installed or not -> everything that can be done
in the handler is to just quit anyway.

2. SIGSEGV handler (and others): it's *unlikely* to happen that the
handler will be executed at the bottom of the main stack (with
insufficient stack space or when the stack is already overflowed) -
because stacks are huge, and in case of segfault see point 1.

3. SA_NODEFER is OK, cause it's *unlikely* that external signal gets
delivered. Even if the crash() handler will crash (f.e. because it's
not re-entrant), what (again) is *unlikely* to happen, see point 1.

I've learned a lot, sorry to waste Your time.


Just to be clear, is the above sarcasm? Because it could be interpreted as saying that you finally agree and see their point.


Of course this is sarcasm.

There's no point to argue with statements like "it's unlikely to happen, so let's just ignore it". I call this bad and dangerous programming practice, but it can be also pure stupidity. Pick one.

Lennart said that he could accept a patch for this - so I'm writting one - alternative, systemd-compatible soultion (with properly designed signals and errors handling). I'll send him a link when the code reaches testing stage.... ;)

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus
tomazzi
 
Posts: 730
Joined: 2013-08-02 21:33

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby bdtc1 » 2015-02-05 05:52

tomazzi wrote:There's no point to argue with statements like "it's unlikely to happen, so let's just ignore it". I call this bad and dangerous programming practice, but it can be also pure stupidity. Pick one.


I wonder what they'd say about the "asynchronous sync" issue. Data corruption can be worse than system lock-up.
bdtc1
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 2015-01-22 09:00

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby tomazzi » 2015-02-07 19:59

System "lock-up" (this term can mean a really wide range of situations) can cause data corrupiton too.

Anyway, I've spent many hours in replying to e-mails and posting replies on systemd-devel, only to discover that it was a waste of time.
I think I know what will be the answer to "sync problem" - it's *unlikely* to happen... (and hard to catch, so it will randomly cause problems "for no obvious reason" ... ;) )

Therefore, instead of wasting yet more time, I'll just continue to work on my project(s)

Regards.

ps.
There's also no point to post portions of broken systemd code here, cause when looking at the replies, it seems obvious that it's *unlikely* to find someone who could understand it...
Odi profanum vulgus
tomazzi
 
Posts: 730
Joined: 2013-08-02 21:33

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby mardybear » 2015-02-07 23:18

@tomazzi: You sounded frustrated and fatigued a bit back, so just wanted to wish you good luck with your init development. Hopefully you will get something useful out of your effort for yourself...and maybe for us non-programmers. Always good to have choices, that's what Linux used to be about. Still is to some extent but feels more restrictive.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.
User avatar
mardybear
 
Posts: 994
Joined: 2014-01-19 03:30

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby bdtc1 » 2015-02-08 12:31

tomazzi wrote:There's also no point to post portions of broken systemd code here, cause when looking at the replies, it seems obvious that it's *unlikely* to find someone who could understand it...


I would understand it, but it'd be quite sufficient to simply post a bullet list summary of everything you found.
bdtc1
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 2015-01-22 09:00

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-02-08 13:02

tomazzi wrote:it seems obvious that it's *unlikely* to find someone who could understand it...

Obviously we cannot meet your lofty standards but users could just *trust* your *opinion* if you were to provide some independent *evidence* of your *competence*...

How are we lowly non-programmers supposed to be able to tell if you really are an experienced programmer or just a nut-job with an axe to grind who is good at writing bull-s**t?
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 13058
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby oswaldkelso » 2015-02-08 14:12

"Head_on_a_Stick"

Option1: Why don't you just go and find out for your self. Go and read systemd-devel and see what Lennart Poettering thinks. He's meant to be a good trustworthy programmer....... ahh.

https://www.mail-archive.com/systemd-de ... llist.html

OK
Option2: Learn to program
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
User avatar
oswaldkelso
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: 2005-07-26 23:20
Location: UK

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-02-08 14:20

oswaldkelso wrote:"Head_on_a_Stick"

Option1: Why don't you just go and find out for your self. Go and read systemd-devel and see what Lennart Poettering thinks. He's meant to be a good trustworthy programmer....... ahh.

https://www.mail-archive.com/systemd-de ... llist.html

OK
Option2: Learn to program

I have no interest in programming, I find it boring.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 13058
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby twoflowers » 2015-02-08 14:39

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I have no interest in programming, I find it boring.


Then why are you complaining about not understanding?

><<<(°>
twoflowers
 

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-02-08 15:13

twoflowers wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I have no interest in programming, I find it boring.


Then why are you complaining about not understanding?

><<<(°>

I'm not complaining about not understanding.

I am just attempting to make the point that anybody at all can post on these boards and if there is no way of independently verifying their programming skills then that post is meaningless.

I have said before that I trust the judgement of @falconindy (Dave Reisner) over on the Arch forums because I actually use the programs he has written every day: he made the top 10 list of systemd contributors in 2014.

If I knew which programs have been written by the posters here who express disappointment at the coding skills of a team whose product has been adopted by every major GNU/Linux distribution then I (and the many other Debian users who read these forums) would be more inclined to take their point of view seriously.

Without such verification, I (and the many other Debian users who read these forums) must presume that their skills are simply not up to the standard they claim.

To presume otherwise would be foolish.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 13058
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby Deb-fan » 2015-02-08 18:18

I thought everyone had put of both on ignore HOAS. :P

Sheesh, obviously many of the <censoreds> are fulla <also censored>. So in this case, some promises are made to be broken imo. Ahhhhh the great tomazzi, he's a legend in hiz own mind obviously. Dude is such an extreme intellect and awesome uber l33t coder, he couldn't figure out how to make a bug report. This tells anyone w 43 braincells a coupla of things about him. Stuff like a. I mean come on, you need somebody to hold your hand to figure out how to submit a bug report ?! b. He very likely has never bothered, in all hiz coding l33tness to submit a bug report to any major opensource project either.

Just based off of what I've seen the guy type in this one thread, he's told me more than I needed to know about the kinda person he must be and his holy qualifications as pertains to software development.

In ending, @HOAS ... common sense, reason, logic, experience and nothing of the sort will work when trying to have a meaningful convo w several of the people participating in this joke of a thread. An old truism pops to mind, well make that a couple.

* Choose your battles.
* Don't have a battle of wits, w unarmed people ( personally I think that one's bs, why not shoot fish in a barrel ? Lotsa fun "sometimes". Though pointless is pointless.
* Lastly ... don't waste your time arguing w id10t's, they'll just try to drag you down to their level and then beatcha w experience. :D

Going back to ignoring this FF&FF thread.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan
 
Posts: 982
Joined: 2012-08-14 12:27

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby schnuller » 2015-02-08 20:20

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
twoflowers wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I have no interest in programming, I find it boring.


Then why are you complaining about not understanding?

><<<(°>

I'm not complaining about not understanding.

I am just attempting to make the point that anybody at all can post on these boards and if there is no way of independently verifying their programming skills then that post is meaningless.

I have said before that I trust the judgement of @falconindy (Dave Reisner) over on the Arch forums because I actually use the programs he has written every day: he made the top 10 list of systemd contributors in 2014.

If I knew which programs have been written by the posters here who express disappointment at the coding skills of a team whose product has been adopted by every major GNU/Linux distribution then I (and the many other Debian users who read these forums) would be more inclined to take their point of view seriously.

Without such verification, I (and the many other Debian users who read these forums) must presume that their skills are simply not up to the standard they claim.

To presume otherwise would be foolish.

In case it matters to you: I understand your point, and i agree.
(I did understand it and agreed from the very beginning, but have seen no point in posting it. I assumed tomazzi would quickly answer your original question.... Now it seems as if you could need a bit of support).
schnuller
 
Posts: 386
Joined: 2014-11-25 05:05

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby bdtc1 » 2015-02-09 00:48

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: users could just *trust* your *opinion* if you were to provide some independent *evidence* of your *competence*...

How are we lowly non-programmers supposed to be able to tell if you really are an experienced programmer


He has already posted exact independent proof in the form of excerpts from the original source code, including comments from the authors where they themselves admit that there are problems which they are not addressing at that time. Non-programmers might not understand, but that doesn't change the validity of the proof. I believe that the full list should be posted here, or better yet in the bug-tracking system.

The fact that someone else has used this programming without failure is not proof that the programming is correct or that failures cannot occur. Security updates are routinely posted for programs which have been working just fine in most cases, but which still have flaws which can result in problems. These are legitimate concerns, irregardless of anyone person's dis-belief.
bdtc1
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 2015-01-22 09:00

Re: Where will you go after systemd?

Postby schnuller » 2015-02-09 01:52

You don't seem to have understood the reasoning of Head_on_a_Stick or what he has asked for.
schnuller
 
Posts: 386
Joined: 2014-11-25 05:05

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

fashionable