Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian is STILL worth it xD (jessie beta 2)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Swansen

Debian is STILL worth it xD (jessie beta 2)

#1 Post by Swansen »

man... MAN!... i mean.. i took just an hour to install and configure what i needed and everything works. works!! aaannndd it was simple... there aren't even words for how amazing this is. too good

my life. is now complete. xD

vicshrike

Re: Debian is STILL worth it xD (jessie beta 2)

#2 Post by vicshrike »

I know the feeling.

golinux

#3 Post by golinux »

May the Devuan be with me. :)
May the FORK be with you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Debian rocks!

Spread the word!
:D
deadbang

thanatos_incarnate

#5 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Swansen wrote:Debian is STILL worth it xD (jessie beta 2)
+1

Ardouos

#6 Post by Ardouos »

The installer? Maybe not... The testing system? Yer its good if you can maintain it!
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Swansen

#7 Post by Swansen »

Ardouos wrote:
The installer? Maybe not... The testing system? Yer its good if you can maintain it!
this is the most seamless install i've had in 4 years(was on a different distro that went defunct).

but yeah, i know it. a couple months ago, jessie completely borked/corrupted itself upon install. However, this is the first time in years, that my hardware is all recognize and optimized, without any weird quirks and ssuuppeerr easy to set up.

yes.. the installer.. is voodoo. its great or is horrible.. for whatever reason.

i mean. i would be using stable, but, stable won't install... and the mesa/open source ati drivers are not so great on good ol' grandpa stable/wheezy. and fglrx/AMD proprietary is a horrible mess(as it always is) and is so even the case on distros which do massive work to make sure its not. 'out of box' deals.

so, what i'm saying is, i am just so happy right now that this works. previous hardware, wheezy was my hero, but.. this iteration of this laptop i'm using(netbook), wheezy is not a fan. and when jessie goes stable, i will again be where i was 4 year ago with mandriva 2010(which, i swear, was like the planets aligning in that case and then going supernova right afterwards).

but yeah. i just stay behind the curve in updates and do so very slowly with a few packages at a time, this keeps things working well.

edbarx

#8 Post by edbarx »

Debian is great for its vast repository of software. In my case, and in that of many others, having an easy and smooth installation, does not deserve the highest priority. The highest priority goes to software reliability.

I don't use an installer as I prefer to be in full control of what I install. This means, my installations, are at first less than minimal, although this term my sound contradictory.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Swansen

#9 Post by Swansen »

golinux wrote: Devuan
woah..... .... .. .....

(i am having such a hardcore mandriva 2010 dejavu moment right now...)

however, i've only ever briefly run over the init v systemd thing. however... "device dependent activation" ..windows..

yo.. this is so hardcore offtopic, and, but.. i'm just realizing this. systemd is a conspiracy to ruin/take over linux and the 'free' world.. this is like suse all over again. Pardus made their own system initializer,(pardus.. what you could have been.. i use KDE, BLASPHEMY!! xD. ) why can't debian? debian does everything else on its own..(flood gates CLOSED THO, i shouldn't have written this here.. but.. confused..)

Swansen

#10 Post by Swansen »

edbarx wrote: The highest priority goes to software reliability.
aye... i mean, stable. while stable is really only great if the hardware you are using has all the functions built in at that point, then Deb stable is awesome. however...

the linux world, and i've realized this more and more lately, is ssooooo fractioned right now its crazy. there are spinoffs of spinoffs, projects dieing and being resurrected. the level of fragmentation right now in the linux world is staggering. that being said.. i don't really even know if 'software reliability' and linux go in the same sentence right now, not at least anywhere near the idea of 'out of the box'. i mean.. even for a massive project like Ubuntu(which i'd argue is like a constant almost beta still alpha but there is just so much energy behind it, it seems legitimate... but.. i'm also being sarcastic.. its like constant beta 2 xD) or Mageia which is like mandriva 2010(solid) but with half the community and even though its at release 4 its actually like constant beta 2... i dunno..

buntunub

#11 Post by buntunub »

Swansen wrote: the linux world, and i've realized this more and more lately, is ssooooo fractioned right now its crazy. there are spinoffs of spinoffs, projects dieing and being resurrected. the level of fragmentation right now in the linux world is staggering.
It has nearly always been that way for like almost 20 years now. This is not a bad thing. It is actually a feature of free software that has spawned innovation on a massive scale. This is how it is supposed to be. The day the Linux world stops being like this, is the day that the free software movement dies.

harrycaul

#12 Post by harrycaul »

Yep, still worth it.