Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nothing here

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
mean_dean

Re: nothing here

#16 Post by mean_dean »

:P goes something like this...

debian jessie netinst install
all choices at the software selection stage de-selected

Add the following to etc/apt/preferences.d/00systemd

Code: Select all

Package: *systemd*
    Pin: origin ""
    Pin-Priority: -1
This blocks anything and everything with systemd anywhere in the name from ever being installed....or anything that relies on it toooo....

Add the following to etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00recommends

APT::Install-Recommends "0";
This stops recommended packages from being installed.
It isn't related specifically to systemd just keeps your install a bit leaner.

Run the following command

apt-get install sysvinit-core sysvinit
This installs the sysv init system and should remove the systemd init system.

Now reboot so that sysv is active as the init system

apt-get autoremove --purge libsystemd0
This will remove the libsystemd0 package and anything that depends on it. You will have to type in Yes, do as I say! and press enter as it will be removing packages that the debian package system has marked as essential.

apt-get autoremove --purge
This cleans up some left over cruft.

congrats, now you can install a basic window manager, xserver, and other basic software....

And you may want to install an older or third party libpulse package so you can install stuff like mplayer, vlc, totem, etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I no longer think it makes sense to do this, yea I can understand blocking the init system if you so choose but I see no reason to block the systemd libs....but whatevah....

kedaha

#17 Post by kedaha »

Just to say I really appreciate the post and will be trying the how -to this weekend. Thanks :)
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

mean_dean

#18 Post by mean_dean »

mean_dean wrote:
I think this is the better method anyway http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=119836

n_hologram

#19 Post by n_hologram »

mean_dean wrote:
mean_dean wrote:
I think this is the better method anyway http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=119836
I need to do more research on these repos, and I do appreciate that you've shared them with us. Admittedly, I have no time look into this right now.

Thank you for reposting that guide. Although it may fall-through as a long-term solution (esp. once Jessie hits stable), it contains some information that I didn't know until you posted (admittedly, I should study apt more in-depth). One thing Linux has taught me is to log things I find useful so I don't run into a "god I should have written that down a month ago because I have no idea where to find it or what it was really talking about."
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

mean_dean

#20 Post by mean_dean »

I need to do more research on these repos, and I do appreciate that you've shared them with us.

Adam Borowski is a debian dev and I believe Trios reused his packages. The packages are up to date and do not seem to do anything except remove the dependency on systemd.
Thank you for reposting that guide. Although it may fall-through as a long-term solution (esp. once Jessie hits stable),

Jessie is frozen so it should be fine for Jessie. It will never allow anything to be installed that has systemd in the name. Now whether or not it will be possible to actually install anything without systemd in releases after jessie is a good question.
One thing Linux has taught me is to log things I find useful so I don't run into a "god I should have written that down a month ago because I have no idea where to find it or what it was really talking about."
if I supply anything useful to you then you better save it cause rest assured I will change it fifty times in the next day or two, delete it twice, repost it once, before posting a totally different way of accomplishing the same thing...

And you can use the same method but just block systemd and/or system-sysv if you just want to block systemd itself but allow the systemd libs.

n_hologram

#21 Post by n_hologram »

mean_dean wrote:Adam Borowski is a debian dev and I believe Trios reused his packages. The packages are up to date and do not seem to do anything except remove the dependency on systemd.
I'm okay with this. It's always reassuring to hear about people working towards valid solutions to issues, rather than merely tossing around the same handful of complaints.
Now whether or not it will be possible to actually install anything without systemd in releases after jessie is a good question.
A very good point. I imagine other side-projects will continue to work around it, but I guess you can never be too sure. *BSD will likely be my summer project either way.
if I supply anything useful to you then you better save it cause rest assured I will change it fifty times in the next day or two, delete it twice, repost it once, before posting a totally different way of accomplishing the same thing...
Noted.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

fsmithred

#22 Post by fsmithred »

mean_dean wrote: and the way refracta has done so in the past is to use old packages and/or some third party packages to create some basic openbox, lxpanel, environemnt...perfectly acceptable....especially at that time....but I hope they will use angband and/or trios repos to get back to their normal xfce desktop...

by the way, do you know whom the creator of the refracta project is?
Yes, I hope to use one or more of those outside repos, but I've been limited by my hardware. Ordinarily, I'd be running testing as my main installation now that it's frozen. But I've gotten used to two monitors, and I can't install the proprietary nvidia driver in jessie to give me what I want. New(er) vid card is in the plan, so I can actually put some nosystemd packages to the test.

Meanwhile, there are three refracta/jessie isos, all built from minimal (standard) wheezy install, pinned *systemd* anywhere in the name, pinned dbus and libpulse0 to wheezy versions, and upgraded to jessie. Two of them are 32 and 64-bit standard system plus some favorite utilities, but no desktop or xorg. The third is the 32-bit with openbox and lxpanel. Think of them as starter kits for the truly paranoid.

For a while, util-linux was pinned at an earlier jessie version (I guess it still is in the isos) because any snapshot isos made with the newer version wouldn't boot. There's a workaround for that involving rebuilding the initrd (thanks, dzz!) and I've worked that into the latest (beta) version of refractasnapshot.

And yes, I know who created the refracta project. I hope I'm staying true to your original vision.

mean_dean

#23 Post by mean_dean »

fsmithred wrote: I hope I'm staying true to your original vision.
not sure I had one....so you are doing much better than that....
And yes, I know who created the refracta project.
actually I think I just started the project....if anyone created anything I think that was probably you...

I love how you worked in the refracta plug too :D

if ya want the old guy to roll up some images, just hollla and I will try