Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"Debian stable is old"

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
weedeater64

"Debian stable is old"

#1 Post by weedeater64 »

I get so sick of hearing this in general linux discussion boards.

I recently commented, stable != old, and not having untested buggy software/apps != old.

Am I wrong? Apparently a lot of people thing I am.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: "Debian stable is old"

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Well it is a bit old...

I would use the term "retro" instead :cool:

Mind you, my Debian sid is starting to look a bit old now -- kernel 3.16 & firefox 31 compared to kernel 3.18 & firefox 35 in Arch...

I prefer the older firefox versions anyway :D

EDIT: My favourite OS of all time is still Kickstart v1.3 on the Amiga A500 -- that's what I call old.
deadbang

RU55EL

#3 Post by RU55EL »

weedeater64 wrote:I get so sick of hearing this in general linux discussion boards.

I recently commented, stable != old, and not having untested buggy software/apps != old.

Am I wrong? Apparently a lot of people thing I am.
The meaning of "old" has needs to be defined. Old as in not the very latest software version, or old as in there is a newer, fully tested and stable version out there, but you are still using the previous version.

Personally, I prefer Debian stable and consider it the "current" useable version.

mardybear

#4 Post by mardybear »

Jeff Pugh
Desktop Lenny 10 year old Dell
Age is relative. Based on your signature, Wheezy would look quite new and fresh...so would a 5 year old laptop. Old and stable go hand in hand as the OS will age as it is proven stable. I'm with you and prefer stability but don't get worked up over the new and shiny crowd as a couple years down the road i will want to use the software they are presently testing but hopefully in a more stable form.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

weedeater64 wrote:I get so sick of hearing this in general linux discussion boards.
Agreed. What bothers me most about it is these lovely posts from newbies who have installed Jessie or Sid and proceed to ask newbie questions. From where I sit, those who install Testing or Unstable should already know the answers or where to get them and, at least, know how to troubleshoot.

There is a parallel crew who find some goofy tip on how to install some obscure shiny object if only they add a new source to down load it from and then proceed to complain that their system is borked.

debianized

#6 Post by debianized »

I find the statement offensive too, due to it's inaccuracy. I think 'Debian stable is ancient' is both more accurate and precise.

harrycaul

#7 Post by harrycaul »

Justified and ancient...Debian is gonna rock ya

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Only "stable" software is included in the Debian core distribution. In Debian project parlance, the term stable means that the software is no longer under active development or widespread use and that the authors are long dead; if software is still under active development, it undergoes changes too rapidly for the Debian project to incorporate them. Due to pressure from users, obsolete versions of certain software that is still under development may be included in the unstable section, but its use is broadly discouraged, since it does not strictly adhere to the project's guidelines, sometimes including software from after the Renaissance.
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Debian

:D
deadbang

yzT

#9 Post by yzT »

A thing that always make me laugh of this topic is... If you're on Linux and don't have the latest packages, you feel "old". However, then you are on a Windows or Mac and don't upgrade your software (every application, not just system updates), but you don't have the same feeling... Odd, isn't it? xD

Sent from my Nexus 5

Bulkley

#10 Post by Bulkley »

When I compare the versions of Wheezy programs with Jessie or Sid programs I quickly come to the conclusion that there really isn't much difference. Oh there's been a little tweaking here or a minor new feature added there but no fireworks. What's the point of new and shiny if it doesn't offer something that is simply not available any other way?

draugur

#11 Post by draugur »

Well, being old isn't all bad. I also use Arch, (kernel 3.18) and the broadcom wl driver is apparently boinked on kernels > 3.17 . Meanwhile on Jessie (3.16), I still haz teh wifi! :lol:

buntunub

#12 Post by buntunub »

The term is used mostly, if not exclusively, by people that have no experience with the real world of Industry where real Linux Sysadmins manage server farms all running 5+ year old Red Hat releases or Debian Squeeze. They run "old" releases because they are stable and Industry hates change of any kind on their servers. Upgrades are a dirty word. New = unstable = hassles = lost time and money = Ain't gonna happen!

People who run Debian Stable like "old". Leave stable exactly as it is. Jessie will release when it is ready = "old". This is how Debian works and has always been. New = Sid. There is a VERY good reason for why Debian has seperate distros.

kedaha

#13 Post by kedaha »

buntunub wrote:Leave stable exactly as it is. Jessie will release when it is ready = "old". This is how Debian works and has always been. New = Sid. There is a VERY good reason for why Debian has seperate distros.
+1
And for the "rolling release" cutting-edge crowd, oldstable must seem antediluvian.
I champion the stable distribution because I think it is what Debian is really all about and besides, I have enough on my plate with both server and desktop programs and applications to have much time for anything else. After the forthcoming stable distribution is frozen I start testing it myself, but I'm in no hurry, specially after all the hullabaloo about systemd.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

RawMustard

#14 Post by RawMustard »

Well they could always install lindows mint 17 and enjoy frozen login screens, broken desktops and a package manager that doesn't manage crap; but hey, it's shiny new and green!

alan stone

#15 Post by alan stone »

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
- Leroy "Satchel" Paige

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
- Chili Davis

Old age ain't no place for sissies.
- Bette Davis

debianized

#16 Post by debianized »

kedaha wrote: And for the "rolling release" cutting-edge crowd, oldstable must seem antediluvian.
More like precambrian.

Check back in a decade when you will finally be able to run Plasma 5.

rivenathos

#17 Post by rivenathos »

Stable means it always works. Gotta love Stable.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

keithpeter

#18 Post by keithpeter »

Sid: sort of a rolling distro: nice on a laptop you use mainly for web surfing (and back up any work you want to keep very regularily)

Stable: workhorse

Commercial legacy: CentOS forums had a thread on patching CentOS *4* for the bash env vulnerability. CentOS 4 updates stopped in Feb 2012. It is a trade-off: cost of reinstalling then doing dev work on the applications the server runs vs the time taken to patch the ancient steam driven OS underneath the applications.

JLloyd13

#19 Post by JLloyd13 »

I find that most updates are just new version numbers, and that by the time actual advancements are no longer able to be backported, testing is already in freeze for the next stable.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

Head_on_a_Stick

#20 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I find that the only time I actually notice any package updates is when the changes annoy the crap out of me...

EDIT: Firefox, I'm looking at you!
deadbang