Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debian vs opensuse

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#16 Post by Lavene »

craigevil wrote:
Lavene wrote:I'm a genius!! I have the perfect solution!!

Code: Select all

# echo "4.0 Stable" > /etc/debian_version
Problem solved!

Tina ;)
craig@craigevil:~$ cat /etc/debian_version

Mine has said 4.0 for a couple of months now. But then again I run Sid.
Yes, Etch/ Sid says 4.0. That was the joke... my command writes you a new /etc/debian_version :P

Tina

hcgtv

#17 Post by hcgtv »

Lavene wrote:Yes, Etch/ Sid says 4.0. That was the joke... my command writes you a new /etc/debian_version :P
Yeah, Etch says 4.0 and my Sarge's say 3.1 on them.

Etch appears stable to me at this point, no major problems to report in the desktop apps I run nor in any of the daemons. I second the echo command from Tina, there we're officially at Stable :)
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

Pobega

#18 Post by Pobega »

hcgtv wrote:
Lavene wrote:Yes, Etch/ Sid says 4.0. That was the joke... my command writes you a new /etc/debian_version :P
Yeah, Etch says 4.0 and my Sarge's say 3.1 on them.

Etch appears stable to me at this point, no major problems to report in the desktop apps I run nor in any of the daemons. I second the echo command from Tina, there we're officially at Stable :)
Except there are still around 100 release-critical bugs which are slowing down the speed. But really, what makes Debian so great is that the developers are so persistent at keeping it completely stable even if it means making us wait a few extra months.

Goes to show you why Debian is considered one of the most, if not the most stable distros available.

DeanLinkous

#19 Post by DeanLinkous »

Pobega wrote: Except there are still around 100 release-critical bugs
I can live with a few bugs.... :)
http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/debian/all.html
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Pobega

#20 Post by Pobega »

DeanLinkous wrote:
Pobega wrote: Except there are still around 100 release-critical bugs
I can live with a few bugs.... :)
http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/debian/all.html
Of course you can, but I'd personally rather see the number of rc bugs down to around 50 before they even consider releasing it. I mean, if they make it stable and a few servers break down due to one of the RC bugs it will be on the fault of impatience.

Sure we all want to see Lenny and have some new packages in testing (I know I do), but I wouldn't want to compromise the security or stability of servers just to please the impatient people who could as well just be using Sid/Unstable.

thamarok

#21 Post by thamarok »

The topic title is about Debian vs OpenSUSE and you guys (and Tina) are talking about Debian Etch Installer RC bugs.. oh my,... (I'm trying my best to be the following m*******r [you know what I mean Tina?])

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#22 Post by Lavene »

Yeah, well... sometimes it happen. And the OP seem to have disappeared from the tread anyway. Feel free to bring it back on topic if you like.

I just guess that most people couldn't care less that someone don't want to use Debian for whatever reason. Kudos to the forum member for not taking the obvious flame bait by the way ;)

Tina

Pobega

#23 Post by Pobega »

thamarok wrote:The topic title is about Debian vs OpenSUSE and you guys (and Tina) are talking about Debian Etch Installer RC bugs.. oh my,... (I'm trying my best to be the following m*******r [you know what I mean Tina?])
Well the OP disappeared and the topic has changed, things happen. Hell, look at the mailing list; A topic called "Booting Debian Testing Fails" turned from tech support to writing documentation for new users.

It happens, and when it does just flow with it 8)

DeanLinkous

#24 Post by DeanLinkous »

Pobega wrote: Of course you can, but I'd personally rather see the number of rc bugs down to around 50 before they even consider releasing it. I mean, if they make it stable and a few servers break down due to one of the RC bugs it will be on the fault of impatience.

Sure we all want to see Lenny and have some new packages in testing (I know I do), but I wouldn't want to compromise the security or stability of servers just to please the impatient people who could as well just be using Sid/Unstable.
Agreed! I didn't mention release only usage. :) I certainly would not want them to release it with 100 RC bugs but I certainly do not want that to stop people from using it either since that is 100 bugs out of 20000 packages and a lot of them are trivial at best, and a lot in packages I have never even heard of much less plan to install. :D

Maybe Debian should consider a desktop release? Or maybe a top 5000 packages concentration?

I am rambling now....

Installer bugs, release dates, and so forth would be good information for anyone asking about opensuse vs debian so I consider it on topic - with such a broad topic most anything at least slightly related would be on topic IMO.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

nbi

#25 Post by nbi »

frenchninja wrote:
What I don't understand is why there isn't a YAST like equivalent in Debian. In fact someone could have adapted the YAST source to Debian's tools since it's not license restricted. I find tools like "aptitude" to be completely useless.
My opinion is the complete opposite. I find YAST to be enough of a reason for anyone to get off the suse bandwagon. Unless, of course, you have 3 hours spare to watch it add one repository to your system. Or, you know, you could just do it in about 3 seconds in Synaptic.. each to their own I suppose.
Or if you don't mind the time waiting for YAST to work, you can devote your time to trying to fix its failure to handle dependencies, as opposed to the way aptitude does..
Just to be clear I said "YAST like". Is it perfect? Of course not. But the convenience of a point-and-click package management tool is handy at times. 3 hours to add a repository? Don't think so. I'll give you the same advice that I'm getting from you Debian veterans regarding your tools, you have to know how to use it. And what "failure to handle dependencies"? I've been using SuSe since it was first available and haven't encountered any SuSe originated dependency problems in either rpm or YAST. They and 3rd parties have occasionally botched packaging, but that can happen with any distro.

nbi

Re: debian vs opensuse

#26 Post by nbi »

Grifter wrote:
Haber_Nir wrote:ok i see that debian 4 still not out yet.
debian 3.1 was release in 6/6/2005!!!!!
and from than until now opensuse was going forward.
now i trying to ask myself which things debian will offers me and convince me to move to debian from opensuse 10.2 because to tell the truth i dont see a single reason to move to debian.
and don't forget opensuse 10.3 is on the way
soo please convince me.
Oi, what a flamebait

Well first of all, I guess the difference between debian and (many) other distros are version numbers; whenever a new version comes out they reinstall the entire OS, but with debian you don't bloody bother because you just run a command and then you're up to date, infact people who go by version numbers for debian totally miss out

Just stay on testing and update your packages when a new version comes out of a particular software

THAT is the difference, instead of worrying about when debian 2, debian 3, debian 4 comes out, and preparing to back up data to reinstall, debian people just chill - because when we upgrade, or dist-upgrade, we're as current as can be without any hassle
Thanks, you and Dean have some very good practical advice which I will follow.

Pobega

#27 Post by Pobega »

nbi wrote:
frenchninja wrote:
What I don't understand is why there isn't a YAST like equivalent in Debian. In fact someone could have adapted the YAST source to Debian's tools since it's not license restricted. I find tools like "aptitude" to be completely useless.
My opinion is the complete opposite. I find YAST to be enough of a reason for anyone to get off the suse bandwagon. Unless, of course, you have 3 hours spare to watch it add one repository to your system. Or, you know, you could just do it in about 3 seconds in Synaptic.. each to their own I suppose.
Or if you don't mind the time waiting for YAST to work, you can devote your time to trying to fix its failure to handle dependencies, as opposed to the way aptitude does..
Just to be clear I said "YAST like". Is it perfect? Of course not. But the convenience of a point-and-click package management tool is handy at times. 3 hours to add a repository? Don't think so. I'll give you the same advice that I'm getting from you Debian veterans regarding your tools, you have to know how to use it. And what "failure to handle dependencies"? I've been using SuSe since it was first available and haven't encountered any SuSe originated dependency problems in either rpm or YAST. They and 3rd parties have occasionally botched packaging, but that can happen with any distro.
I don't see where you get "3 hours to add a repository". Edit /etc/apt/sources.list with vi, then run apt-get update and you're basically set.

I personally find command line tools easier than graphical for the most part; And if you really want a graphical installer, there is always Synaptic Package Manager.

nbi

#28 Post by nbi »

craigevil wrote:
Lavene wrote:I'm a genius!! I have the perfect solution!!

Code: Select all

# echo "4.0 Stable" > /etc/debian_version
Problem solved!

Tina ;)
craig@craigevil:~$ cat /etc/debian_version

Mine has said 4.0 for a couple of months now. But then again I run Sid.

Not having GUI tools to configure everything is IMHO actually better. I started off using Debian a little over two years ago knowing absolutely nothing about Linux. Granted I was in way over my head for the first few days, but I READ the Debian docs, and after a couple of weeks I was able to get everything just the way I wanted it.

Installing and getting Etch up and running with all the extra packages like Java, Flash and multimedia only took me 2hrs a couple of weeks ago. If I had to rely on GUI tools I probably wouldn't have been able to manage that. Two years now running the same install kept updated by a simple apt-get dist-upgrade once a week.

SUSE is nice, but as the saying goes when your ready to learn Linux you either run Debian or Slackware. But if all you want is a linux desktop that works SuSE and Ubuntu for that matter are fine. Use what works for you.

Having tried most of the big linux names other than Gentoo and Slackware, including over 20 livecd distros Debian is the one I choose to stick with. It may take a little more work than some of the others but it is well worth it.
Yes, despite the package management learning curve and annoyances Debian is rapidly growing on me in a big way. With each session I discover things I really like. Scripts tend to be very clean and straightforward unlike their convoluted counterparts in some other distros.

In fact I got so enthusiastic recently I hammered out a working prototype of a kernel for single phase boot off USB. This alleviates the need to use initrd on systems whose BIOS supports booting directly off USB devices. I'll post the production patch for "testing" in the appropriate forum when complete.

nbi

#29 Post by nbi »

DeanLinkous wrote:
Pobega wrote: Of course you can, but I'd personally rather see the number of rc bugs down to around 50 before they even consider releasing it. I mean, if they make it stable and a few servers break down due to one of the RC bugs it will be on the fault of impatience.

Agreed! I didn't mention release only usage. :) I certainly would not want them to release it with 100 RC bugs but I certainly do not want that to stop people from using it either since that is 100 bugs out of 20000 packages and a lot of them are trivial at best, and a lot in packages I have never even heard of much less plan to install. :D

Maybe Debian should consider a desktop release? Or maybe a top 5000 packages concentration?

I am rambling now....

Installer bugs, release dates, and so forth would be good information for anyone asking about opensuse vs debian so I consider it on topic - with such a broad topic most anything at least slightly related would be on topic IMO.
What do you mean by "desktop release"? I installed "testing" from only the first DVD iso and the installer certainly didn't install 20000 packages. In fact I actually like what it did despite not liking the fact that I was not asked what to install. The default choices were all very reasonable and resulted in a notebook install that has all the essentials, but is not bloated in any way.

This btw is a significant point in Debian's favor, with other distros time has to be spent ripping things out from the install. Other than disabling some init scripts and building a monolithic kernel (loading 5 million modules is ridiculous, but every distro does it by default) I haven't had to do much reconfiguring.

Lou

Re: debian vs opensuse

#30 Post by Lou »

Haber_Nir wrote:ok i see that debian 4 still not out yet.
debian 3.1 was release in 6/6/2005!!!!!
and from than until now opensuse was going forward.
now i trying to ask myself which things debian will offers me and convince me to move to debian from opensuse 10.2 because to tell the truth i dont see a single reason to move to debian.
and don't forget opensuse 10.3 is on the way
soo please convince me.
I think for you, opensuse is the answer, stay with opensuse!
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

craigevil

#31 Post by craigevil »

Bah release already Sid is stagnant and there are lots of new packages sitting in experimental waiting to make Sid more exciting.

Sid has actually been "stable" since right before Etch froze, now its getting boring.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#32 Post by Lavene »

nbi wrote:What I don't understand is why there isn't a YAST like equivalent in Debian. In fact someone could have adapted the YAST source to Debian's tools since it's not license restricted. I find tools like "aptitude" to be completely useless.
I know there has been some attempts to make such tools but they seem to have died due to lack of interest. Personally I believe it's due to the fact that most often Debian is an 'install once, upgrade forever' distro so you basically set up your system once and rarely have to touch it again except for the occasional installation of new software. And for that, if you don't like the CLI, you have tools like Synaptic or Kpackage.

I'm sure that if someone was to write such a tool or package some of the existing ones it would be welcomed into the repos, but the fact that no one has done that as of yet is probably and indication of the general interest for such a tool.

Tina

Blond

#33 Post by Blond »

frenchninja wrote:My opinion is the complete opposite. I find YAST to be enough of a reason for anyone to get off the suse bandwagon. Unless, of course, you have 3 hours spare to watch it add one repository to your system. Or, you know, you could just do it in about 3 seconds in Synaptic.. each to their own I suppose.
This was my experience of YAST on OpenSUSE 10.2. Slow and not confidence inspiring. With APT I just install away with stuff I'll try out and probably uninstall ten minutes later. It's quick and easy and I know it will work, so I just feel free to go ahead and do it. On OpenSUSE it felt more like installing something required more thought and caution - and was way slower and hence less convenient, so more often I wouldn't bother with stuff I didn't need. That's without mentioning the sheer size of Debian's repositories....

I did like what the OpenSUSE community and Novell have done at the GUI level though. So much so that I've got a SLAB menu, Beagle and Compiz on the Debian install I'm using to type this ;)

Blond

#34 Post by Blond »

Another thing, what's with OpenSUSE giving you a crippled version of Kaffeine without DVB support? It's not so much that they do it but that they don't tell you about it. Took me ages to work out WTF was going on.

jml

#35 Post by jml »

There is a "Yast Like" (the good part of Yast, not the bad,) application out there for a Debian based distro. Its called Adminmenu and it was included in a now dicontinued distro called Libranet. Remember, Tina? Unfortunately this application was never released under the GPL so when Libranet closed up shop, Adminmenu went along with it. This is a good example of why OSS can be so superior to proprietary apps. Just my two cents worth.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.