Useless softwarecenter

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: Useless softwarecenter

Postby thanatos_incarnate » 2015-02-12 18:37

Well, another solution would be to have a legal guardian present during computer use.
Might help.
thanatos_incarnate

Postby mardybear » 2015-02-12 18:50

Soyuz wrote: BTW: at university we were always taught: If the end-user can destroy a system - something has gone wrong during delvelopment.

Who is the end user? If you set up the system, you are both a regular user and root. The potential damage caused by a root user is limitless.

Can't speak for Softwareupdates but i have used Synaptic Package Manager for almost 10 years across numerous distributions with minimal issues. As you've already been informed, command line often works best and your issues may be related to altering your sources.list.
Uncle Ben: Remember, with great power. comes great responsibility
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.
mardybear

Postby GarryRicketson » 2015-02-13 03:29

Hmm, it does seem odd, I just recently installed
NOW:
Release 7.8 (wheezy) 32-bit
Kernel Linux 3.2.0-4-686-pae
GNOME 3.4.2
and after that I used the "software manager" to install a game for my grand daughter, worked fine, generally I prefer to use the "synaptic package manager", and I installed several software packages, with no problems. I was just now curious about this "PackageKit", and checked synaptic, it shows it is all ready installed, so that must have been installed when I installed Debian, with some of the other packages that installed "automatically", ....
The other softwares/games I installed, "Bouncy Bunny" (done with software manager), then also the good old "TuxPaint", more for my grandaughter, but I kind of of enjoy it, "TuxMath" also, that is a excellent one, for you children developing their math skills, for me the bible is important, so I also installed all the "BibleTime" packages, these include some "sword apps or texts" too, ..Then I also installed a animation softawre, program, I use, used to be "Pencil", now it is "Pencil2d", ok on that it was not in the repository, so I downloaded it, "pencil2d_0.5.3-20130717.1_i386.deb" since it is written for debian, I was able to simply "right click" the mouse,after it was selected and open it with "GDebi package installer", it installed and works fine, or seems too, on that I have read that there were some bugs, or problems (it is still being developed), which is why it is not in the repository at this time, so I may have some problems later, but that is NOT the fault of Debian, nor the authors of the program, some times if we want "open source" and free software, it still takes some effort,work, on the end users part, or simply wait , until it is "stable",..
I find the software manager, the repositories,synaptic manage, all very use full with a wide selection of many useful programs, maybe not programs I need or would use, but to others they are useful, and to me the ones I installed are useful.
Edited: I forgot, also "DOS Box" installed fine, so I can play my favorite game, a very old, MS Pacman, written for Dos,..that is the only reason I wanted "dosbox" :mrgreen:
GarryRicketson

Postby Soyuz » 2015-02-14 14:13

Well - go on.

Stay put in the past some fifteen years ago.

But when a system wants bigger marketshares, its time to come out of the bush and the caves, gents - and also to stop shooting before you ask. Wild West was not that big a blockbuster after all - usually the bad guys lost in the end, only to spill a lot of innocent blood. Want to know the inner looks of a Troll? Well take a good look at yourselves in this thread.

All for now - Goodbye, Joe, me gotta go, me-oh-mayoh, gotta go and pole Ubuntu down the Bayou ... and take all the potential customers with me.
(Ubuntu was installed on the newly crashed machine last night. Through the night two laptops, a desktop, a Seagate Central (set up in linux by myself, which works flawlessly) and a Raspberry Pi called Enigma has been trying to stress this UBUNTU 14.10 converted laptop - but it just keep on running)
Last edited by Soyuz on 2015-02-14 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Soyuz

Postby thanatos_incarnate » 2015-02-14 14:22

Soyuz wrote: me gotta go

Please do!
thanatos_incarnate

Postby Soyuz » 2015-02-14 14:28

Dear mr. Thanatos Incarnate: The last word in any case is only worth having, if it has got some substance to it.
Soyuz

Postby JLloyd13 » 2015-02-14 15:10

Soyuz wrote:
All for now - Goodbye, Joe, me gotta go, me-oh-mayoh, gotta go and pole Ubuntu down the Bayou ... and take all the potential customers with me.

Last time I check Debian is a free operating system run by a community of volunteers. We don't have customers.

Good riddence. The last thing this community needs is more users like you trying to turn Linux into a free Windows.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.
JLloyd13

Postby thanatos_incarnate » 2015-02-14 15:29

Sorry, my sentence lacked "substance", so let me try again:
Please leave Linux and go back to Windows or Apple!
thanatos_incarnate

Previous

Return to General Discussion