Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Debian Bible - RSN

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Nuke

New Debian Bible - RSN

#1 Post by Nuke »

Anyone else have news of David B.Harris's new book "Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible" ?

http://www.bookfinder.us/booksearch/Boo ... .%20Harris

I ordered one last February and was told it would come out in March. Since then it has constantly been delayed. Now my bookshop is saying 24 August, with 300 copies being reserved for the UK.

I notice that in the meantime its advertised title has changed from "... 3.x Bible" to " ... 3.1 Bible". No doubt the release of Sarge has caused the delay, in which case it is worth the wait.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Amazon sez "In stock now!" Debian GNU /Linux 3.1 Bible @ Amazon

ozitraveller

#3 Post by ozitraveller »

I'm interested in this book too. But how does it compare to Linux Cookbook by Carla Schroder? Or is there a better book?

Nuke

It's Arrived!

#4 Post by Nuke »

Picked it up today at Waterstones, Cribbs Causeway, Bristol. 7 months after ordering, presumably while it took Sarge on board.

Started reading and it looks good. I don't know the Linux Cookbook, but those cookbooks tend to be tips and shortcuts for the experienced and jaded ;-) This Debian GNU/Linux Bible seems to aim at a good all-round coverage, and assumes the reader has a middling capability (like has already dabbled with Linux, or at least with the Windows/DOS command line). Says "Beginning to Advanced" on the cover, but it would be a culture shock for someone who had only previously clicked Windows icons - they would need a more elementary Linux book first, and would be better with Linspire or Mandriva anyway.

If you run Debian, I shouldn't think there could be a better book at the moment - the only others I found (including the predecessor to this one) were published some years ago. It's about 600 pages, and comes with an installation CD for Sarge (just to get you going and onto the Net for more packages), and, interestingly, a Live Debian CD that runs without touching your hard drive.

ozitraveller

Re: It's Arrived!

#5 Post by ozitraveller »

Nuke wrote:Picked it up today at Waterstones, Cribbs Causeway, Bristol. 7 months after ordering, presumably while it took Sarge on board.

Started reading and it looks good. I don't know the Linux Cookbook, but those cookbooks tend to be tips and shortcuts for the experienced and jaded ;-) This Debian GNU/Linux Bible seems to aim at a good all-round coverage, and assumes the reader has a middling capability (like has already dabbled with Linux, or at least with the Windows/DOS command line). Says "Beginning to Advanced" on the cover, but it would be a culture shock for someone who had only previously clicked Windows icons - they would need a more elementary Linux book first, and would be better with Linspire or Mandriva anyway.

If you run Debian, I shouldn't think there could be a better book at the moment - the only others I found (including the predecessor to this one) were published some years ago. It's about 600 pages, and comes with an installation CD for Sarge (just to get you going and onto the Net for more packages), and, interestingly, a Live Debian CD that runs without touching your hard drive.
Thanks Nuke for the reply.

I did buy/read the last Debian Bible, I thought it was a bit of a shocker! Too light on detail. I started playing with Debian just after woody came out, and am very happy with it. I've had the Sarge NetInstall for a while now. I just like a book for those times when the net isn't available, and for reading on the way to work. I've setup a desktop environment, but now I want to get a server up and running (maybe a domain for my small network!).

haraldw

Re: It's Arrived!

#6 Post by haraldw »

Nuke wrote:If you run Debian, I shouldn't think there could be a better book at the moment - the only others I found (including the predecessor to this one) were published some years ago.
Have a look at http://debiansystem.info .

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#7 Post by kink »

I just received a free copy of that last book and it looks very good. It's not for those that have to learn about using Linux in general, but has the right information for people who want to know more about the specifics of Debian.

neenee

#8 Post by neenee »

i ordered it yesterday ;-)

greenmeanie

#9 Post by greenmeanie »

Just bought it and thought it could of been better. I get better info off the net than in the book. I guess I expected more he just touches base on certain things that could of been described better.

john_h

#10 Post by john_h »

The Debian System is excellent. I found it transformed my understanding of how Debian works - the policies relating to how files in /usr and /etc are treated, how pinning works, etc etc. Interesting on the history and structure of the Debian Project, too.

Yes, once you know about many of the points covered in the book then the information is available on the web. But Martin Krafft's book is an excellent summary, a useful book to have at a "grabbable" distance from the computer, and a good way to find out about what Donald Rumsfeld might refer to as "unknown unknowns". ;)

adssse

#11 Post by adssse »

I am definately happy to hear the positive response for "The Debian System". I just ordered it off ebay the other day and am anxiously waiting for its arrival.

mystery dance

#12 Post by mystery dance »

I bought the Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible and built my shiny new Debian system starting with the supplied disk. The CD is a 'net boot' so have your broadband fired up if you want to install from it.

I'm a little disappointed in the Debian book - it really seems to be geared for setting up your system. If you need to change something it's not that helpful. I also have the Linux Bible by Christopher Negus. I've found stuff I needed in that that book that I didn't find in the Debian book.

-mystery dance
"Crawlin' from the wreckage..."

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#13 Post by domecq »

The book is awesome! I recommend it.

mullins

Re: New Debian Bible - RSN

#14 Post by mullins »

Nuke wrote:Anyone else have news of David B.Harris's new book "Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible" ?

http://www.bookfinder.us/booksearch/Boo ... .%20Harris

I ordered one last February and was told it would come out in March. Since then it has constantly been delayed. Now my bookshop is saying 24 August, with 300 copies being reserved for the UK.

I notice that in the meantime its advertised title has changed from "... 3.x Bible" to " ... 3.1 Bible". No doubt the release of Sarge has caused the delay, in which case it is worth the wait.
I have the similar looking one for Redhat and found it very helpful (when I used to use redhat :wink: )