Jessie RC1 installed on my Desktop stable no problems

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Jessie RC1 installed on my Desktop stable no problems

Postby ballreward » 2015-03-17 20:24

I did a net install of Jessie RC1 with the Mate desktop on my HP Compaq dc 7800 Core 2 Quad workstation with 8 gig Ram 300 Gig hard drive. I had no install problems, and its running better than my Ubuntu Mate 1404 which I replaced. After install Jessie was a dream.

Ubuntu Mate was not really stable my HP printer had times when Ubuntu would not communicate with it, and Skype and Pulse Audio had to be constantly reset. I was fed up trying to keep software working. Ubuntu had constant updates I suspect that some updates broke my system. I liked Ubuntu Mate, but I got tired of constant fixing.

I decided to try Jessie I always liked Debian not always the configuring that had to be done if you wanted non-free software in it. I thought I will try it again. I did a net install with the Mate desktop. There were no install problems. The only problem I had was trying to switch Iceweasel to Firefox and I suspect that was my fault not Jessie. I did install Google Chrome Beta, Pulse audio setup right away and Skype just worked no sound problems like in Ubuntu. I am extremely pleased Jessie seems to be the best Debian I have installed. I recommend it highly, so far extremely stable on my Computer.
ballreward

Re: Jessie RC1 installed on my Desktop stable no problems

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-03-17 20:45

Nice post!

I thoroughly agree: Debian jessie is the finest general-purpose OS available right now and it will only get more reliable in future.

I've even managed to switch Mrs. Head_on_a_Stick over and she was a die-hard Arch user up until this week...
:D
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby ballreward » 2015-03-17 23:49

I agree since the RC1 is working so well it can only get better. Its nice to be using a computer OS where everything works! Thanks for the comment.
ballreward

Postby dasein » 2015-03-18 00:32

Pedantic point: Jessie will certainly get better as it comes closer to becoming Stable, but it's the installer that is RC, not Jessie. Debian doesn't do RCs.

(Google debian releases to learn more.)
dasein

Postby JLloyd13 » 2015-03-18 04:30

Jessie is already working beautifully on my desktop. My Chromebook, which is my school/work computer that can't be not working, will be dist-upgraded when Jessie hits stable. I have backups but I don't think I'll need them judging by how smoothly my desktop moved over :mrgreen:
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.
JLloyd13

Return to General Discussion