Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Get rid of Windows Key

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
erikbouw

Get rid of Windows Key

#1 Post by erikbouw »

Hi All,

Have you all noticed the windows key on every keyboard out there? If it is a standalone keyboard or integrated on a laptop, a windows key is always present.
I would like to do something about that because there is a huge community that does not use Windows. Like me.
Instead, why not create a universal start button. So every OS can use that button.

If you like to join me in the struggle against the Windows Key, please feel free to sign the petition at <removed url>

Share this message to get as many petitions as possible.
With the petitions i will get in contact with hardware suppliers to discuss any options.
Thanks in advance for your support. Hopefully we will get rid of the windows key.
Last edited by dilberts_left_nut on 2015-04-01 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove promotional url.

arid

Re: Get rid of Windows Key

#2 Post by arid »

I understand your life altering concern, but to state the obvious, what I hope you are aware of, any key function is changeable regardless of what it is labled as.

It's threads like this, and the vast majority are, that give me pause and reflect on why I even have a link to this site.
There's no drama in my sid......

mardybear

#3 Post by mardybear »

Thanks for the chuckle :D

When i flip over my keyboard the sticker says 'Microsoft Basic Keyboard 1.0A'. Please ensure the petition also requests removal of all Microsoft labels before distributing to customers. If you don't like the key, don't use it, black felt the Microsoft logo, use a screwdriver to pry the key or buy a different keyboard. Microsoft paid good money to design and produce my particular keyboard, so they can pretty much dress it up however they want. The world has larger issues to address.

Edit: arid beat me to post, for once i agree with his opinion :)
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

milomak

#5 Post by milomak »

it works great as the compose key
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

It's moments like this that I wish I could just borrow a Purple Hammer for 30 seconds. Ah well.

kolker

#7 Post by kolker »

I agree there should be no OS dependent key but what would you replace it with it has become default and norm. for me its nothing but mod key like any other but the first.

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dasein wrote:It's moments like this that I wish I could just borrow a Purple Hammer for 30 seconds. Ah well.
The OPs thread on the Arch forums on the same subject lasted about that long before it was binned...
deadbang

edbarx

#9 Post by edbarx »

The laptop I am using right now has a Windows key and a Windows 7 sticker affixed on the left hand side, and I am not bothered of having them as long as GNU/Linux boots and works.

Look at the Windows key as an invitation to create a handy shortcut for your preferred application or to open your preferred directory.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

dariusdor

#10 Post by dariusdor »

I would remap it to be an extra spacebar, since it took up the real estate originally used by the spacebar.
The really successful criminals never break laws. They make them.

Roel63

#11 Post by Roel63 »

I like the way it behaves in Gnome 3.