Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Jessie to be released April 25

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Linadian

Re: Jessie to be released April 25

#2 Post by Linadian »

Why is there tumbleweeds blowing through this forum and this thread? One would think the systemd-heads should be jumping for joy. Or is it because you self-exiled yourself? Persona non grata so to speak. :shock:

I am of course, just clowing around. :mrgreen:

Even Jessie looks pissed, lol...
Linux Registered User 533946

dariusdor

#3 Post by dariusdor »

Some may have ignored this thread because it was posted at a time which in some time zones put it on April Fools Day.
The really successful criminals never break laws. They make them.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by NFT5 »

Yes, the April Fool's Day possibility was one that occurred to me.

However, moving on, what strikes me is the urgency that seems to be attached to getting Jessie into stable. Admittedly I wasn't around (in Debian) at the time when Wheezy was at the same point, but everything I've read has always pointed to Debian taking as long as it takes to get a release to the point where it can "really" be classed as stable.

Last time I looked (no doubt updated by now) there were some 1500 issues still to be sorted in Jessie. Is it reasonable to expect that these, or at least the vast majority of them, will be resolved by 25th April? Or is there some reason why Debian is pushing the release so hard?
Last edited by NFT5 on 2015-04-02 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

Linadian

#5 Post by Linadian »

NFT5 wrote:but everything I've read has always pointed to Debian taking as long as it takes to get a release to the point where it can "really" be classed as stable.
Maybe Debian is pulling a 'Microsoft', knowingly release on OS that's still in a beta state, then wait for the flood of complaints and bug reports to flow in before doing anything (in their own sweet time), that 'system' works for MS, look at the millions of suckers that keep coming back for more pain and abuse. Debian is after all, with the addition of systemd, the new Lenndows. :wink: :shock: :lol:

buntunub

#6 Post by buntunub »

The response to the post is a pretty good indication of the response that Jessie will get on release day. A whole bunch of crickets chirping in the background clearly heard due to no applause. This is a rushed release, probably timed to the outgoing DPL (the one under whose watch systemd was made default in Jessie) leaving and also because Jessie will be the first release with systemd default. I think there will be a massive fanfare when Devuan launches.

cpoakes

#7 Post by cpoakes »

NFT5 wrote:...Last time I looked (no doubt updated by now) there were some 1500 issues still to be sorted in Jessie. Is it reasonable to expect that these, or at least the vast majority of them, will be resolved by 25th April? Or is there some reason why Debian is pushing the release so hard?
Actually there are 1500 release critical bugs for Debian total (stable/testing/sid), not for testing. If you look at the release critical bugs page for testing (jessie)https://bugs.debian.org/release-critica ... sting.html, there are 99 bugs. And 24 of those have patches already pending.

While some of us are not happy with systemd, I still trust the Debian culture and policies to create a stable OS - it is the the Debian raison d'etre. April 25 is an estimate and a target, not a promise. It will be ready when it is ready.

Follow the green line, these are the release-critical bugs for each release - April 25 may be a little optimistic, but still in the ballpark.

TonyVanDam

#8 Post by TonyVanDam »

1. Will Jessie include xfce 10 or 12?

2. Will Jessie include LXDE 8?

3. Given the systemd backlash, will Debian Stable in general have enough supporters at all? Specifically, will the Debian Jessie-era be THE last ever for the legecy AND history of Debian?!?

Roel63

#9 Post by Roel63 »

TonyVanDam wrote:1. Will Jessie include xfce 10 or 12?
Checking packages.debian.org for testing returns 4.10

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

dariusdor wrote:Some may have ignored this thread because it was posted at a time which in some time zones put it on April Fools Day.
It's a tad ironic that this post got the "April Fool" reaction (and no, it's not), whereas the post I made that was about an April Fool joke didn't.

Last time I checked, there were fewer than 50 RC bugs in Jessie, so three weeks' out isn't out of the question--unless a new RC bug is found in the interim. (But that's a danger even as late as Release Day -1)

Linadian

#11 Post by Linadian »

dasein wrote:
dariusdor wrote:Some may have ignored this thread because it was posted at a time which in some time zones put it on April Fools Day.
It's a tad ironic that this post got the "April Fool" reaction (and no, it's not), whereas the post I made that was about an April Fool joke didn't.
That was a joke?! I seriously thought that was for real, wow am I gullible, lol. :shock: :oops: :lol:

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#12 Post by NFT5 »

cpoakes wrote:Actually there are 1500 release critical bugs for Debian total (stable/testing/sid), not for testing. If you look at the release critical bugs page for testing (jessie)https://bugs.debian.org/release-critica ... sting.html, there are 99 bugs. And 24 of those have patches already pending.
I stand corrected. Just shows what happens when you rely on memory of something read a couple of weeks before. :oops:

I still get the feeling that there's an air of urgency about it though.

cpoakes

#13 Post by cpoakes »

The typical freeze to release time for stable has been 6 months, but wheezy took a long 10 months. Although the devs say it will be ready when it is ready, there was a sense that the wheezy freeze was too long. Missing the 6 month "average" might be fueling any anxieties you sense. With a Nov 5 freeze, May 5 marks that psychological boundary.

Linadian

#14 Post by Linadian »

TonyVanDam wrote:3. Given the systemd backlash, will Debian Stable in general have enough supporters at all? Specifically, will the Debian Jessie-era be THE last ever for the legecy AND history of Debian?!?
That's a good point, if people are forced to use systemd(ominator), why not go with a distro that it's more native to, like Fedora or CentOS? Oh, wait, that's kinda the plan. Kind of makes Debian obsolete, redundant, worthless, inconsequential and a has-been joke.