Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Adding users to debian and allowing access from windows

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Zesten

Adding users to debian and allowing access from windows

#1 Post by Zesten »

Hi

I have debian installed, I am trying to add users, but when I do, I cannot login with that user from a windows machine. I used the useradd command, and it asks for username, password and then general info, do I have to restart something? Did I leave something out? Please help me

Thanks.

pigah

#2 Post by pigah »

Are you trying to log on via ssh, telnet or samba?

What method do you use from your windows machine in your attempt to logon?

Zesten

#3 Post by Zesten »

I am logging in on a VPN, when windows starts up, I use a shell account I think, and I am the logged into the domain. But when I add users to linux user adduser command I cannot login as that new user from a windows machine.

pigah

#4 Post by pigah »

I don't know much about VPN's, but I would recommend setting up a samba server on your Debian box. You will then need to create samba users that match up with the normal accounts.

I think this should be as easy as "apt-get install samba" then "smbpasswd -a <username>".

Zesten

#5 Post by Zesten »

Ah, that might be it, I just set up linux users, but I thought samba might have something to do with it. Thanx I will try that quickly. Will first check on the web how to do that, before I attempt.