Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How did you learn to *really* use Linux?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
kedaha

Re: How did you learn to *really* use Linux?

#16 Post by kedaha »

I've used Debian for some time but I've never learned to *really* use Linux. I'm certainly more skilled than when I started but the more I learn the more there seems to learn; I suppose I started learning most when I immersed myself in Debian as a server rather than just using it as a working desktop environment.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

wubzy

#17 Post by wubzy »

Wow. Thanks for the replies, everyone. There's a lot of solid advice that I would love to address case-by-case, but I think I'll just soak it in, instead.

I operate from the CLI probably 98% of the time. I've been forcing my way through technical documents, which is kind of arduous for an uninitiated n00b. I've done some distro hopping. I've broken my system well over a dozen times. I've cobbled together some scripts in Bash and some GUI programs in Python. I can write functional HTML. My Google-fu is getting pretty mean. I've experimented with different learning styles and approaches. I've completed a couple of very modest projects...

... and I still can't use cron.

I think of all the great advice on this thread, this bit sums up my situation perfectly:
MALsPa wrote:Other people are sharper than I am, but I figured that if I just stuck with it, I'd get there eventually.
And now, time to keep plugging away at the Debian FAQ.

dasein

#18 Post by dasein »

wubzy wrote:... and I still can't use cron.
Join the club. :lol:

Seriously, I remember an identical experience when I was starting out. I became so frustrated with cron in my first year with Linux that I ended up writing my own cron-replacement from scratch (which admittedly isn't rocket science, but it does convey the level of frustration I was feeling).

All I know to tell you is that one day, just on a whim, I tried setting up a real cron job for something or another. And it was easy as pie. Dunno what magic switch flipped in my wetware, but one day, without any study or prep, something that had once been my Nemesis was now my servant.
And now, time to keep plugging away at the Debian FAQ.
Time exceedingly well spent.

edbarx

#19 Post by edbarx »

The first time I used a GNU/Linux LiveCD, I was struck with awe, but then, it was a horrifying shock that sent me back to my hiding hole for a whole year! The worrysome difference was how file paths and file media were used in Linux: it was utterly different from what I expected. As a naive newbie, I expected to find GNU/Linux to operate the same way as MS Windows. Another blow was the fact that it became immediately evident that switching to Linux meant that the 'power user' in me was transformed into a clueless beginner. Mind you, I could write my own programs for Windows, so it was, sort of, like a double blow below the belt for me. Switching to Linux took away the ability to write my own programs and the fact that I could manage my system with relative ease.

The recipe for my survival in the harsh world of GNU/Linux was nothing special, but reading and studying. I insisted in my newbie quest to understand how Linux worked as an OS, especially what happened during boot. After understanding that, it was more natural for me to put things into their perspective.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

/tmp

#20 Post by /tmp »

Very painful trial-and-error.

Pro-tip: don't mess around as su with a live kernel (e.g. delete your kernel while its running) :D
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

edbarx

#21 Post by edbarx »

Uninstalling a running kernel is not disastrous as long as one replaces it with another one. I remember, I did it several times without problems. Furthermore, leaving a system without a kernel does not absolutely necessitates an OS reinstallation. There is chroot which can be used to repair a broken system including the installation of a missing kernel.

To install a missing kernel, use a LiveCD with Debian or equivalent, mount the partition with the installation to be repaired, and chroot into it as follows: (assuming installation resides on /dev/sda5 and that it is mounted on /mnt/repair)

The previous three commands usually worked in my case as they are but with some non-destructive errors. Nevertheless, accuracy is a virtue, therefore, I am editing my post for better accuracy as highlighted by Head-on-a-Stick.

# mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/repair
# for i in /sys /proc /dev; do mount --bind $i /mnt/repair$i; done
# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/repair/etc/resolv.conf
# chroot /mnt/repair /bin/bash
# source /etc/profile
# apt-get install kernel-to-install
Last edited by edbarx on 2015-05-13 06:55, edited 3 times in total.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Head_on_a_Stick

#22 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

edbarx wrote:To install a missing kernel, use a LiveCD with Debian or equivalent, mount the partition with the installation to be repaired, and chroot into it as follows: (assuming installation resides on /dev/sda5 and that it is mounted on /mnt/repair)

mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/repair
chroot /mnt/repair /bin/bash
apt-get install kernel-to-install
I think you also have to mount /proc, /sys & /dev, copy over resolv.conf and source the bash profile to install stuff:

# mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/repair
# for i in /sys /proc /dev; do mount --bind $i /mnt/repair$i; done
# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/repair/etc/resolv.conf
# chroot /mnt/repair /bin/bash
# source /etc/profile
# apt-get install <kernel>
deadbang

HITMAN

#23 Post by HITMAN »

wubzy wrote:Hey, everybody. First post here and still a newbie to Linux. I've dinked around with Ubuntu and spent some time with Crunchbang, and now I've finally installed straight-up Debian.

I'm curious as to how you wizards and power users gained your skills <snip>
Wizard - not me. I learned most things from need - LOVE the man pages! Gentoo, used that distro a year or so, was a great help. And, like you with conky, I tinker to have things as desired.
HITman
My goal is to be a man of Honor, Integrity and Truthfulness.

drokmed

#24 Post by drokmed »

Back in the 70's, I learned UNIX first, by reading code and man pages. When linux first came around, it was the same. No support forums back then, only dial-in BBS's. I miss those days.
Author of the Debian Linux Security Appliance Firewall howto, found here
Thread discussing it is here

tomazzi

#25 Post by tomazzi »

drokmed wrote:Back in the 70's, I learned UNIX first, by reading code and man pages. When linux first came around, it was the same. No support forums back then, only dial-in BBS's. I miss those days.
Really?
Today I can traverse Linux sources thanks to f.e. http://lxr.free-electrons.com.

This is just awesome project, which alows to save a lot of time and efforts...
Odi profanum vulgus

tadaensylvermane

#26 Post by tadaensylvermane »

I can only echo what everyone else has said. The best way to learn it is to use it. Break it and fix it. I'm going on 2 1/2 years now and still learn something new every day. It was only recently that I started to get good at troubleshooting, before that I did re-installs like most people new to linux... or windows users. Hands on experience will beat out a book or anything else every time.