Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Jessie coming soon!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Deutsches

Jessie coming soon!

#1 Post by Deutsches »

Hello

Today I just get the notification from https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2015 ... tml#Jessie

!!!

So before it's coming make sure that you remove that god damn systemd next to DRACUT, the new initramfs dynamic futuristic event driven automatic what the f* ever this garbage is.

I'm sick and tired that after I pulling in 3.16 and other recent kernels from the wheezy backports they replace initramfs-tools with this then I manually have to purge it out, recreate all the initramfs images but guess what, the crap stays inside in some images!!!

Yesterday I spent the entire day reconfiguring initrd images, rebooting a server million times which takes about 10 minutes to boot up just to get kernel 4 working with mdraid and at the end it failed.

Systemd+Dracut, I dont EVER want to see these again !!! :x :x :x

reinob

Re: Jessie coming soon!

#2 Post by reinob »

Deutsches wrote: So before it's coming make sure that you remove that god damn systemd next to DRACUT, the new initramfs dynamic futuristic event driven automatic what the f* ever this garbage is.
I run sid on two systems and jessie on another one and none of them has dracut.
Maybe you've installed something that depends on it? (would be really weird).
Can you do apt-cache rdepends dracut and post the output?

Deutsches

#3 Post by Deutsches »

Code: Select all

dracut
Reverse Depends:
  linux-image-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
 |linux-image-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
  dracut-network
And inside the initrd image if I grep for dracut:

Code: Select all

./init:. /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./init:    loginit $DRACUT_QUIET </run/initramfs/loginit.pipe >/dev/console 2>&1 &
./init:[ -n "$VERSION" ] && info "dracut-$VERSION"
./init:	warn "file a bug against dracut."
./usr/bin/mount-hook:type getarg >/dev/null 2>&1 || . /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./sbin/initqueue:type getarg >/dev/null 2>&1 || . /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./sbin/insmodpost.sh:. /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./sbin/lvm_scan:type getarg >/dev/null 2>&1 || . /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./sbin/dmraid_scan:type getarg >/dev/null 2>&1 || . /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./sbin/mdraid-cleanup:type getarg >/dev/null 2>&1 || . /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./sbin/mdraid_start:type getarg >/dev/null 2>&1 || . /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./sbin/loginit:    if [ "$line" = "DRACUT_LOG_END" ]; then
./sbin/loginit:    echo "<31>dracut: $line" >&5
./sbin/loginit:    [ -n "$QUIET" ] || echo "dracut: $line"
./shutdown:. /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./lib/dracut/hooks/mount/99mount-root.sh:type getarg >/dev/null 2>&1 || . /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./lib/dracut/hooks/pre-pivot/50mount-usr.sh:type info >/dev/null 2>&1 || . /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./lib/dracut/hooks/pre-mount/10mdraid-waitclean.sh:    type getarg >/dev/null 2>&1 || . /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./lib/dracut/dracut-:dracut-
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:hookdir=/lib/dracut/hooks
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:    source_all "/lib/dracut/hooks/$_dir" "$@"
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        echo "<24>dracut: FATAL: $*";
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        echo "<24>dracut: Refusing to continue";
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        echo "warn dracut: FATAL: \"$*\"";
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        echo "warn dracut: Refusing to continue";
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:    if [ -z "$DRACUT_QUIET" ]; then
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        DRACUT_QUIET="yes"
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        getargbool 0 rd.info -y rdinfo && DRACUT_QUIET="no"
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        getargbool 0 rd.debug -y rdinitdebug && DRACUT_QUIET="no"
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        getarg quiet || DRACUT_QUIET="yes"
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        [ -n "$a" ] && [ $a -ge 28 ] && DRACUT_QUIET="yes"
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        export DRACUT_QUIET
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        echo "<28>dracut Warning: $*" > /dev/kmsg
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        echo "dracut Warning: $*" >&2
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        echo "<30>dracut: $*" > /dev/kmsg
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:        [ "$DRACUT_QUIET" != "yes" ] && \
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:            echo "dracut: $*"
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:    printf '. /lib/dracut-lib.sh\nismounted "%s"\n' $1 \
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:    echo "DRACUT_LOG_END"
./lib/dracut-lib.sh:    local _rdshell_name="dracut" action="Boot" hook="emergency"
./lib/fs-lib.sh:type getarg >/dev/null 2>&1 || . /lib/dracut-lib.sh
./etc/initrd-release:NAME="Dracut"
./etc/initrd-release:VERSION="7 (wheezy) dracut-"
./etc/initrd-release:ID=dracut
./etc/initrd-release:PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy) dracut- (Initramfs)"

pcalvert

#4 Post by pcalvert »

Have you installed anything from backports on those systems?

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Linadian

#5 Post by Linadian »

pcalvert wrote:Have you installed anything from backports on those systems?

Phil
That's what the OP said. Better question is, why in the f**k are backports enabled for this server's OS. OP, wut u smokin yo? Backports are for non mission critical desktops. :P

Edit: OP, did you really mean "Jessie-d coming soon!" :lol: :roll:
Linux Registered User 533946

reinob

#6 Post by reinob »

Linadian wrote:
pcalvert wrote:Have you installed anything from backports on those systems?

Phil
That's what the OP said. Better question is, why in the f**k are backports enabled for this server's OS. OP, wut u smokin yo? Backports are for non mission critical desktops. :P
We're talking about just the kernel. No need for backports or any complicated dependency-dance. The OP could just install 3.16 from unstable and be happy ever after.

And he should report a bug about the backported kernel depending on dracut.

fireExit

#7 Post by fireExit »

Deutsches wrote:Hello

Today I just get the notification from https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2015 ... tml#Jessie

!!!

So before it's coming make sure that you remove that god damn systemd next to DRACUT, the new initramfs dynamic futuristic event driven automatic what the f* ever this garbage is.

I'm sick and tired that after I pulling in 3.16 and other recent kernels from the wheezy backports they replace initramfs-tools with this then I manually have to purge it out, recreate all the initramfs images but guess what, the crap stays inside in some images!!!

Yesterday I spent the entire day reconfiguring initrd images, rebooting a server million times which takes about 10 minutes to boot up just to get kernel 4 working with mdraid and at the end it failed.

Systemd+Dracut, I dont EVER want to see these again !!! :x :x :x
It looks like you were hit by Bug #771379
Ben has it marked as "Solved" on the 8th April.

uxbal

#8 Post by uxbal »

Installed Jessie the other day.

And once again, kudos to all people contributing to Debian. I really like Gnome, and once again Gnome is implemented most 'lightly' than any other distro, the artwork (plymouth etc.) is professional-grade to complement the system and I really look forward to using it for the next two years :)

+ the opensource fontconfig is now so good i really don't need the patched ones anymore.

Best release ever, imho

farukdgn

#9 Post by farukdgn »

I'm waiting for Jessie and I'm excited. When is it out? :roll:

farukdgn

#11 Post by farukdgn »

So can I change "wheezy" to "jessie" in sources.list and perform a dist-upgrade now? The latest stable still seems Wheezy here.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/debian/status/591921041850634240

fireExit

#12 Post by fireExit »

i would wait until the process is completed (we are in the middle of the release) and would read this >> https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/releasenotes

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by Hallvor »

Latest news are here: https://identi.ca/debian
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

farukdgn

#14 Post by farukdgn »

Hallvor wrote:Latest news are here: https://identi.ca/debian
Looks like twitter page is a bit faster to announce.
Won't it be safe to upgrade before CD's are tested and officially released? Does this procedure take much time?

Linadian

#16 Post by Linadian »

farukdgn wrote:
So can I change "wheezy" to "jessie" in sources.list and perform a dist-upgrade now? The latest stable still seems Wheezy here.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/debian/status/591921041850634240
I don't know how knowledgeable you are, but if I were you, I'd keep my fingers crossed through the upgrade, don't expect any miracles, your going from a few tiny bits of systemd in Wheezy to a virtual puke-fest of systemd in Jessie, your swapping out inits on the fly, from a known good init to beta crapware. I wish you all the luck in the world. :lol:

Roel63

#17 Post by Roel63 »

Linadian wrote:I don't know how knowledgeable you are, but if I were you, I'd keep my fingers crossed through the upgrade, don't expect any miracles, your going from a few tiny bits of systemd in Wheezy to a virtual puke-fest of systemd in Jessie, your swapping out inits on the fly, from a known good init to beta crapware. I wish you all the luck in the world. :lol:
Maybe a shock, but there's more to Jessie than just systemd. Some people may think Jessie is a kind of synonym to systemd...

vbrummond

#18 Post by vbrummond »

Systemd is the next generation standard in the enterprise. Anything with a few years experience in using it is valuable. :roll: If you don't like it personally, be the change. Though it won't go away until something better comes along.
Always on Debian Testing

Linadian

#19 Post by Linadian »

vbrummond wrote:Systemd is the next generation standard in the enterprise. Anything with a few years experience in using it is valuable. :roll: If you don't like it personally, be the change. Though it won't go away until something better comes along.
Woah, you really mean Redhat's "generation standard in the enterprise", who do you think you're kidding? Nice spin and soft peddling, you're funny. :lol:

Face it, Debian got sucked in to the systemd black-hole vortex because it's a hobbled, castrated weak shell of its former self, RIP to Debian the trailblazing GNU warrior.

That MS love-in is especially hilarious too, Debian is bending over for anybody now, Debian would be the 'favourite' on any cell-block, lol. Yep folks, that's right, that link is an actual MS website purporting to its love for Debian and GNU, the trojan horse is entering the castle. *PUKE!* :shock: :roll: :twisted:

vbrummond

#20 Post by vbrummond »

You mean RedHat and SUSE pretty much the only two things that are worth getting certified in. I opted for SUSE and it has been worthwhile. Trolling will not change reality, systemd is here and not going away. If you think I am peddling, think again, I prefer the BSD init but I have nothing against systemd. It's whatever.
Always on Debian Testing