Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Jessie coming soon!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Linadian

Re: Jessie coming soon!

#16 Post by Linadian »

farukdgn wrote:
So can I change "wheezy" to "jessie" in sources.list and perform a dist-upgrade now? The latest stable still seems Wheezy here.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/debian/status/591921041850634240
I don't know how knowledgeable you are, but if I were you, I'd keep my fingers crossed through the upgrade, don't expect any miracles, your going from a few tiny bits of systemd in Wheezy to a virtual puke-fest of systemd in Jessie, your swapping out inits on the fly, from a known good init to beta crapware. I wish you all the luck in the world. :lol:
Linux Registered User 533946

Roel63

#17 Post by Roel63 »

Linadian wrote:I don't know how knowledgeable you are, but if I were you, I'd keep my fingers crossed through the upgrade, don't expect any miracles, your going from a few tiny bits of systemd in Wheezy to a virtual puke-fest of systemd in Jessie, your swapping out inits on the fly, from a known good init to beta crapware. I wish you all the luck in the world. :lol:
Maybe a shock, but there's more to Jessie than just systemd. Some people may think Jessie is a kind of synonym to systemd...

vbrummond

#18 Post by vbrummond »

Systemd is the next generation standard in the enterprise. Anything with a few years experience in using it is valuable. :roll: If you don't like it personally, be the change. Though it won't go away until something better comes along.
Always on Debian Testing

Linadian

#19 Post by Linadian »

vbrummond wrote:Systemd is the next generation standard in the enterprise. Anything with a few years experience in using it is valuable. :roll: If you don't like it personally, be the change. Though it won't go away until something better comes along.
Woah, you really mean Redhat's "generation standard in the enterprise", who do you think you're kidding? Nice spin and soft peddling, you're funny. :lol:

Face it, Debian got sucked in to the systemd black-hole vortex because it's a hobbled, castrated weak shell of its former self, RIP to Debian the trailblazing GNU warrior.

That MS love-in is especially hilarious too, Debian is bending over for anybody now, Debian would be the 'favourite' on any cell-block, lol. Yep folks, that's right, that link is an actual MS website purporting to its love for Debian and GNU, the trojan horse is entering the castle. *PUKE!* :shock: :roll: :twisted:

vbrummond

#20 Post by vbrummond »

You mean RedHat and SUSE pretty much the only two things that are worth getting certified in. I opted for SUSE and it has been worthwhile. Trolling will not change reality, systemd is here and not going away. If you think I am peddling, think again, I prefer the BSD init but I have nothing against systemd. It's whatever.
Always on Debian Testing

fred barclay

#21 Post by fred barclay »

Now that Jessie is out, is Wheezy going to become Oldstable? Or is it simply going to be dropped?
It doesn't matter to me (I run Sid) but I'm curious. I believe the whole Oldstable idea began with Squeeze as an experiment when Wheezy was released? so perhaps oldstable as a release will be dropped. Or not. :)

Head_on_a_Stick

#22 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

fred barclay wrote:Now that Jessie is out, is Wheezy going to become Oldstable?
Yes, it already is.

It will probably go to LTS so it will continue to be supported for some time yet.
deadbang

twoflowers

#23 Post by twoflowers »

vbrummond wrote:systemd is here and not going away.
Yep. Microsoft loves it. Have you taken a look at the wont-fix items in the bugtracker recently?

Linadian

#24 Post by Linadian »

Judging by the lacklustre response to the official Debian Twitter page tweets about Jessie last night (I know Twitter well, I have 2 accounts), let's all give a big empty yawn for the bastardized redheaded stepchild that is systemd Jessie. The poor girl, she's so cute too, I feel sorry for her, having her name dragged through the systemd mud. :shock: :lol: :twisted: :P