Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Wheezy may will become LTS

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Ardouos

Debian Wheezy may will become LTS

#1 Post by Ardouos »

Great news everyone, Wheezy will likely become LTS!

https://www.debian.org/News/2015/201504 ... m=facebook
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

excollier

Re: Debian Wheezy may will become LTS

#2 Post by excollier »

Hurrah! Can dodge systemd for a while longer then.

Linadian

#3 Post by Linadian »

Why bother, just download the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Mini Install CD and install the Xfce destop (aka Xubuntu desktop) from the barbones installer (MATE was not fully supported yet when 14.04 was issued), it makes it more modular than the regular distro (actual Xubuntu DVD) issue install, meaning you can surgically remove the spyware elements (search for anything 'scope', 'unity', 'pulse' (I hate pulseaudio), 'amazon' and 'ubiquity'). This is what I have on my second SSD as a backup distro to PCLinuxOS MATE, my custom 'slim' Xfce Ubuntu install is like Wheezy on steroids, and it's good until 2019. Debian, PUH! Debian sold out, they're so yesterday, old hat man, actually, they're a new hat, DEBHAT, lol. :lol:

Wheezy and Xubuntu 14.04 LTS both have a few scraps of systemd (the systemd creep began in both), so why not go for the more polished distro with, at last count, 45,711 packages (compared to Debian's measly 10G packages LESS)?! Just make sure you enable every repo except untested updates and source, unless you need source.
Linux Registered User 533946

Roel63

#4 Post by Roel63 »

Linadian wrote:Why bother, just download the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Mini Install CD and install the Xfce destop (aka Xubuntu desktop) from the barbones installer (MATE was not fully supported yet when 14.04 was issued), it makes it more modular than the regular distro (actual Xubuntu DVD) issue install, meaning you can surgically remove the spyware elements (search for anything 'scope', 'unity', 'pulse' (I hate pulseaudio), 'amazon' and 'ubiquity'). This is what I have on my second SSD as a backup distro to PCLinuxOS MATE, my custom 'slim' Xfce Ubuntu install is like Wheezy on steroids, and it's good until 2019. Debian, PUH! Debian sold out, they're so yesterday, old hat man, actually, they're a new hat, DEBHAT, lol. :lol:

Wheezy and Xubuntu 14.04 LTS both have a few scraps of systemd (the systemd creep began in both), so why not go for the more polished distro with, at last count, 45,711 packages (compared to Debian's measly 10G packages LESS)?! Just make sure you enable every repo except untested updates and source, unless you need source.
I am glad for the people that use Ubuntu 14.04 for having support until 2019 because if there is anything you do NOT want, it is upgrading ubuntu.

esp7

#5 Post by esp7 »

Roel63 wrote:I am glad for the people that use Ubuntu 14.04 for having support until 2019 because if there is anything you do NOT want, it is upgrading ubuntu.
:lol:
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

buntunub

#6 Post by buntunub »

Linadian wrote:Why bother, just download the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Mini Install CD and install the Xfce destop (aka Xubuntu desktop) from the barbones installer (MATE was not fully supported yet when 14.04 was issued), it makes it more modular than the regular distro (actual Xubuntu DVD) issue install, meaning you can surgically remove the spyware elements (search for anything 'scope', 'unity', 'pulse' (I hate pulseaudio), 'amazon' and 'ubiquity'). This is what I have on my second SSD as a backup distro to PCLinuxOS MATE, my custom 'slim' Xfce Ubuntu install is like Wheezy on steroids, and it's good until 2019. Debian, PUH! Debian sold out, they're so yesterday, old hat man, actually, they're a new hat, DEBHAT, lol. :lol:

WTF?

The people here that actually use Debian/Have used Debian for their full-time daily home computing do so because they want a mature, stable Linux system that is free of cruft and BS. That by definition excludes anything from Canonical.

Great news about Wheezy. That should give Devuan more than enough time to get up and running so we can all switch to that later.

Linadian

#7 Post by Linadian »

buntunub wrote:

WTF?

The people here that actually use Debian/Have used Debian for their full-time daily home computing do so because they want a mature, stable Linux system that is free of cruft and BS. That by definition excludes anything from Canonical.

Great news about Wheezy. That should give Devuan more than enough time to get up and running so we can all switch to that later.
I don't like that it's from CONonical either, Mark Shuttleworth is a traitor but if I can install his spyware and de-infest it for free until 2019 (14.04 LTS), why not? This CL installed Xubuntu is just a backup OS to PCLOS MATE on my other SSD, that's all, I boot in to it to update it, that's it, but should PCLOS ever disappear or its host SSD dies, I'm still good to go. At least I know the support time frame FOR SURE, Debian can't seem to ever pull their thumb out of their @$$e$. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I can't believe I did it either but if Wheezy and 14.04 have the same level of pre-systemd creep infestation, I'm going with the one with a solid time frame. As in my previous post, I was able to remove all their spyware garbage, it feels good to use Douche-worth back. When Devuan has some cement pillars in the ground, I'll give it a try. Debian's vote to arbitrarily use systemd was a huge mistake and total stab in the back, I'm in use-back mode now thanks to Lennart and the Debian board clowns. I just like to haunt this forum like a serial killer sniffs around his old kill sites, lol. :lol: :shock: :P

mardybear

#8 Post by mardybear »

Linadian wrote:
I don't like that it's from CONonical either, Mark Shuttleworth is a traitor but if I can install his spyware and de-infest it for free until 2019 (14.04 LTS), why not?
Good timeframe. Me thinks 14.04 uses Upstart, any issues?
As in my previous post, I was able to remove all their spyware garbage, it feels good to use Douche-worth back.
You have me curious as i am also always looking for alternatives. Could you post the output of pstree for your minimal Ubuntu 14.04 install?
When Devuan has some cement pillars in the ground, I'll give it a try.
I will likely test drive too but i wish they would change their name.
I just like to haunt this forum like a serial killer sniffs around his old kill sites, lol. :lol: :shock: :P
OK, that's creepy.

I liked the old Ubuntus, but don't use anything recent.
Top Definition
ubuntu
Ubuntu is an ancient african word, meaning "I can't configure Debian"
I installed Ubuntu yesterday, it was way more easier than Debian
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ubuntu
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

Linadian

#9 Post by Linadian »

mardybear wrote:You have me curious as i am also always looking for alternatives. Could you post the output of pstree for your minimal Ubuntu 14.04 install?
Sure, I'll boot in to it and paste it too this post (edit).

Lol @ your other replies, love the true unbuntu meaning too, hilarious and true. FYI, if you do do the CL Xubuntu install, search and uninstall all that garbage previously mentioned, CONonical is going totally MS style sneaky OS spyware (I can see Debian going this way soon too, Debian devs trying to remove spyware from source code will break it in the future, you'll see), it's beyond weird and creepy. It's sad we have to make trade offs to have a reliable Linux OS now, I think the systemd nail in Debian's coffin is symbolic of the death of GNU/libre/FOSS/FLOSS (the stupid f&%ks on the Debian board are too blind to see this). I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling betrayed, sad and depressed about this, sprinkle with anger, grrrrrrrrrrr. :twisted:

ATTN systemd fan-b1+c#e$, do not reply to this with "but systemd is GPL", who f&%king cares, it's an overbearing beta spyware capable bloated mess funded by a now predatory corporation. Don't come crying to us systemd haters when this $#1+ blows up in your faces!

@mardy...stay tuned for pstree output paste edit.

Here's the pstree output (Mini CD CL installed Xubuntu 14.04.2, Expert Install/Choose Software/Xubuntu Desktop, spyware surgically removed)...

root@Mark-13:~# pstree
init─┬─ModemManager───2*[{ModemManager}]
├─NetworkManager─┬─dhclient
│ ├─dnsmasq
│ └─3*[{NetworkManager}]
├─accounts-daemon───2*[{accounts-daemon}]
├─acpid
├─anacron
├─avahi-daemon───avahi-daemon
├─bluetoothd
├─colord───2*[{colord}]
├─cron
├─cups-browsed
├─cupsd
├─dbus-daemon
├─freshclam
├─6*[getty]
├─gnome-keyring-d───6*[{gnome-keyring-d}]
├─hddtemp
├─irqbalance
├─kerneloops
├─lightdm─┬─Xorg───{Xorg}
│ ├─lightdm─┬─init─┬─Thunar─┬─firefox───48*[{firefox}]
│ │ │ │ └─2*[{Thunar}]
│ │ │ ├─applet.py───{applet.py}
│ │ │ ├─at-spi-bus-laun─┬─dbus-daemon
│ │ │ │ └─3*[{at-spi-bus-laun}]
│ │ │ ├─at-spi2-registr───{at-spi2-registr}
│ │ │ ├─dbus-daemon
│ │ │ ├─gconfd-2
│ │ │ ├─gpg-agent
│ │ │ ├─gvfs-afc-volume───2*[{gvfs-afc-volume}]
│ │ │ ├─gvfs-gphoto2-vo───{gvfs-gphoto2-vo}
│ │ │ ├─gvfs-mtp-volume───{gvfs-mtp-volume}
│ │ │ ├─gvfs-udisks2-vo───2*[{gvfs-udisks2-vo}]
│ │ │ ├─gvfsd───{gvfsd}
│ │ │ ├─gvfsd-fuse───4*[{gvfsd-fuse}]
│ │ │ ├─gvfsd-trash───2*[{gvfsd-trash}]
│ │ │ ├─indicator-appli───{indicator-appli}
│ │ │ ├─indicator-power───2*[{indicator-power}]
│ │ │ ├─nm-applet───2*[{nm-applet}]
│ │ │ ├─polkit-gnome-au───{polkit-gnome-au}
│ │ │ ├─sh───xfce4-session─┬─gkrellm
│ │ │ │ ├─xfce4-panel─┬─panel-1-di+
│ │ │ │ │ ├─panel-10-m+
│ │ │ │ │ ├─panel-11-c+
│ │ │ │ │ ├─panel-4-sy+
│ │ │ │ │ ├─panel-6-pl+
│ │ │ │ │ ├─xfce4-netl+
│ │ │ │ │ ├─xfce4-sens+
│ │ │ │ │ ├─xfce4-time+
│ │ │ │ │ └─2*[{xfce4-+
│ │ │ │ ├─xfdesktop───2*[{xfdeskto+
│ │ │ │ ├─xfwm4
│ │ │ │ └─2*[{xfce4-session}]
│ │ │ ├─tumblerd───4*[{tumblerd}]
│ │ │ ├─2*[upstart-dbus-br]
│ │ │ ├─upstart-event-b
│ │ │ ├─upstart-file-br
│ │ │ ├─xfce4-clipman───2*[{xfce4-clipman}]
│ │ │ ├─xfce4-notifyd
│ │ │ ├─xfce4-power-man───{xfce4-power-man}
│ │ │ ├─xfce4-terminal─┬─bash───su───bash───pstree
│ │ │ │ ├─gnome-pty-helpe
│ │ │ │ └─2*[{xfce4-terminal}]
│ │ │ ├─xfconfd
│ │ │ ├─xfsettingsd───2*[{xfsettingsd}]
│ │ │ └─xscreensaver
│ │ └─{lightdm}
│ └─2*[{lightdm}]
├─2*[mount.ntfs-3g]
├─polkitd───2*[{polkitd}]
├─python
├─rsyslogd───3*[{rsyslogd}]
├─systemd-logind
├─systemd-udevd
├─tor
├─udisksd───4*[{udisksd}]
├─upowerd───2*[{upowerd}]
├─upstart-file-br
├─upstart-socket-
├─upstart-udev-br
├─whoopsie───2*[{whoopsie}]
└─wicd───wicd-monitor
root@Mark-13:~#

As you can see there is a bit of systemd creep but there's a bit in Wheezy too, Xubuntu has 10,000+ more packages, f%#k Debian.

mardybear

#10 Post by mardybear »

Linadian wrote:
It's sad we have to make trade offs to have a reliable Linux OS now
Yes very sad indeed. That's one of the truest statements i've read on this forum regarding the systemd silliness. If Debian offered true choice in regards to the init, then choosing to run without systemd in future releases shouldn't cripple userland package availability or functionality.

Thanks for the pstree post. For me systemd was the final straw: ModemManager, NetworkManager, accounts-daemon, anacron, avahi, bluetoothd, colord, cron, gnome-keyring, polkit-gnome, tumblerd, python, rsyslogd, systemd-logind, systemd-udevd, whoopsie, wicd...

If you're looking for me i'll be at the TinyCore hideout.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.

Ardouos

#11 Post by Ardouos »

mardybear wrote:
Linadian wrote:
It's sad we have to make trade offs to have a reliable Linux OS now
Yes very sad indeed. That's one of the truest statements i've read on this forum regarding the systemd silliness. If Debian offered true choice in regards to the init, then choosing to run without systemd in future releases shouldn't cripple userland package availability or functionality.
Also the fact that hurd and kfreebsd isn't supported too. Even though I do not use them, I found it to be a downer.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

JLloyd13

#12 Post by JLloyd13 »

@Linadian

I understand your viewpoints on systemd, but there's no reason to be uncivil about it. That's something the systemd devs do and why they're often seen as whiny children, let's be above that now.

Alternatively, you can 'defest' Jessie, which is probably good for another 4 or 5 years, or use Wheezy and wait for Devuan. (I'm told upgrading should be easy). No matter what you decide to do some basic manners would go along way. With Ubuntu 15.04 having systemd, at least with wheezy you have a future devuan upgrade path around it.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

Linadian

#13 Post by Linadian »

@JLloyd13
Umm, a little goosestepping bespectacled poofter ruined the best thing since sliced bread and we're just supposed to be polite and happy about it? I'm not the queen of England, I can't fake smiles and wave insincerely, lol. I'm not some psycho stalker either, Lennfart has nothing to fear from me, but there sure are thousands of other usually docile geeks that would love to separate him from his testicles, lol. AFAIC, this is why systemd made its way in to Debian, people weren't angry and vocal enough. Debian and GNU are dead, RIP, cue Chopin's funeral march. Bottom line, I could care less, what Lennfart or Debian does now, or other lemming distros that drank the poison pill Kool-Aid©®. It actually astounds me that uber-nerds let a 2nd rate piece of bloatware infest their sacred ground, systemd is like a bad horror movie dream that you can't wake up from. The space-time continuum has a fissure, there's an ugly disturbance in the force. :twisted:

Roel63

#14 Post by Roel63 »

Linadian wrote:Debian and GNU are dead, RIP, cue Chopin's funeral march. Bottom line, I could care less, what Lennfart or Debian does now, or other lemming distros that drank the poison pill Kool-Aid©®.
But you seem to care enough to keep on screaming your opinion, even though you will leave Debian and are trying to chase people to Xubuntu?
Sorry but I am with Lloyd on this one. I think you have made your point about a dozen times already.

Linadian

#15 Post by Linadian »

Roel63 wrote:
Linadian wrote:Debian and GNU are dead, RIP, cue Chopin's funeral march. Bottom line, I could care less, what Lennfart or Debian does now, or other lemming distros that drank the poison pill Kool-Aid©®.
But you seem to care enough to keep on screaming your opinion, even though you will leave Debian and are trying to chase people to Xubuntu?
Sorry but I am with Lloyd on this one. I think you have made your point about a dozen times already.
That's an old post, I wiped Xuspyware and installed Salix 14.1 MATE, not one trace of the cancerous init. As for my repetitive rants, maybe I have separation issues, lol. :P :lol: :roll: :lol:

mardybear

#16 Post by mardybear »

Linadian wrote:
...ruined the best thing since sliced bread...
About a year ago i sounded like a diehard fanboy and thought i would be using Debian forever. Funny how fast things change...
As for my repetitive rants, maybe I have separation issues, lol. :P :lol: :roll: :lol:
Things are pretty quiet when you're not around!

Linadian

#17 Post by Linadian »

mardybear wrote:
As for my repetitive rants, maybe I have separation issues, lol. :P :lol: :roll: :lol:
Things are pretty quiet when you're not around!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, I can be passionate about things that matter to me, or better put, used to matter to me. :?

I'm having a blast with my PCLOS/Salix setup, a solid everyday OS and a tinker OS, doesn't get any better than this. And wait for it, yup, no systemd, it's still possible, get your copies while you still can folks.

buntunub

#18 Post by buntunub »

mardybear wrote: About a year ago i sounded like a diehard fanboy and thought i would be using Debian forever. Funny how fast things change...
Yep, same here. Well Debian. You were the gem in the rough and the true cornerstone of the Linux world for a while, but your day is done and sad that is for some, although MS seems to be pretty happy about the new Debian now, curious as that is.

http://openness.microsoft.com/blog/2015 ... linuxfest/

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

It's not curious at all -- Microsoft is attempting to (falsely) portray itself as "open source" in a desperate attempt to convince dumb-ass politicians to buy their products rather than invest in true FLOSS.

That's why they released mono...
deadbang